Bono vs. Atlasia 2.0
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 02:19:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Bono vs. Atlasia 2.0
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Bono vs. Atlasia 2.0  (Read 6998 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 02, 2005, 01:26:51 PM »

Since I'm not running for anything anymore, I now have the freedom to be unpopular.
I'd like to challenge the constitutionality of the following legislation:
--Clause 6.) of the Promotion of Democracy Act;
--The Fair Wage Act;
--The Community Revitalization Act;
--The Preserving our National Parks Act and additionally Title 16 of the US Code;
--Chapters 8, 8A, 34, 45, 119,  of title 42 of the US code;
--Title 29 of the US Code.

MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 02:15:36 PM »

Why are you challenging U.S. Code in an Atlasian Court?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 02:18:47 PM »

Why are you challenging U.S. Code in an Atlasian Court?

Law carried over, duh.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 02:23:43 PM »

Forsee the future I can, rule against you the court will.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 02:36:29 PM »

Forsee the future I can, rule against you the court will.
well, if I can gain a few, ill be happy.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 03:11:10 PM »

Out of curiosity, under what crazy, subjective, hyper-technical grounds are you challenging these laws?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 03:20:51 PM »

This should be amusing.

Just out of curiousity, are you just challenging the Fair Wage Act or are you challenging minimum wage laws as a whole.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 03:21:01 PM »

Out of curiosity, under what crazy, subjective, hyper-technical grounds are you challenging these laws?

Why would i give my adversaries the headstart of letting them know my arguments.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 03:22:22 PM »

Why would i give my adversaries the headstart of letting them know my arguments.

Because you value getting a fair and balanced judgement more than you do just simply winning?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 03:24:40 PM »

This should be amusing.

Just out of curiousity, are you just challenging the Fair Wage Act or are you challenging minimum wage laws as a whole.

well, now that you mention, if you can find where in the Us code is minimum wage, ill go for that to.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 04:10:22 PM »

I despair, I really do. Whilst I promised to leave, I hate to see people's good work go to waste, and I will always do whatever I can to protect federal law. I'd also like to say that I despise this kind of action by people in Atlasia - these sort of Court challenges only serve to divide those of you who actually remain around here.

Bono, read it and weep:

Promotion of Democracy Act (F.L. 6-7)

Clause 6 reads
The Senate will hereby allocate $10,000,000 for aid towards pro-democracy groups in Lebanon and Iran.

This is constitutional on the grounds of Article I, Section 5, Clause 20:
To promote Comity between Nations by engaging in such activities with other Nations as are of mutual benefit.

The question of what is of "mutual benefit" is inherently a political question and thus the Courts are not able to adjudicate on this matter. If they are able to adjudicate on this matter I'm sure its quite easy to argue that Iran and Lebanon becoming democracies is of mutual benefit to them and Atlasia.

Preserving our National Parks Act (F.L. 6-17)

All national parks are owned by the federal government and therefore the federal government may exercise exclusive legislation over them via Article I, Section 5, Clauses 26 and 27. I don't have the time to be bothering reading Title 16 of the US Code, so I can't comment on all of it, but it looks like it falls under the category of federally owned land and thus Clauses 26 and 27 once again give exclusive legislative ability.

I also feel compelled to ask if you've actually read Titles 16 and 29 of the US Code in their entirity, as well as the quoted sections of Title 42?

I'll think about the other stuff.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 04:14:41 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 04:28:38 PM »

I despair, I really do. Whilst I promised to leave, I hate to see people's good work go to waste, and I will always do whatever I can to protect federal law. I'd also like to say that I despise this kind of action by people in Atlasia - these sort of Court challenges only serve to divide those of you who actually remain around here.

Bono, read it and weep:

Clause 6 reads
The Senate will hereby allocate $10,000,000 for aid towards pro-democracy groups in Lebanon and Iran.

To promote Comity between Nations by engaging in such activities with other Nations as are of mutual benefit.

The question of what is of "mutual benefit" is inherently a political question and thus the Courts are not able to adjudicate on this matter. If they are able to adjudicate on this matter I'm sure its quite easy to argue that Iran and Lebanon becoming democracies is of mutual benefit to them and Atlasia.

All national parks are owned by the federal government and therefore the federal government may exercise exclusive legislation over them via Article I, Section 5, Clauses 26 and 27. I don't have the time to be bothering reading Title 16 of the US Code, so I can't comment on all of it, but it looks like it falls under the category of federally owned land and thus Clauses 26 and 27 once again give exclusive legislative ability.

I also feel compelled to ask if you've actually read Titles 16 and 29 of the US Code in their entirity, as well as the quoted sections of Title 42?

Just can't stay away can you Smiley
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 04:32:10 PM »

Bono, read it and weep:

Clause 6 reads

Hasn't made me wept, i of course have strong enough rebutals for that, but I'm not going to spit them out now.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 04:47:07 PM »

Hasn't made me wept, i of course have strong enough rebutals for that, but I'm not going to spit them out now.

Given that the courtcase will wait as long as it takes for both sides to prepare their arguments, it seems to me that hiding all of your arguments until the courtcase will only serve to waste time that could be spent before the trial comes into session.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 04:48:30 PM »

Given that the courtcase will wait as long as it takes for both sides to prepare their arguments, it seems to me that hiding all of your arguments until the courtcase will only serve to waste time that could be spent before the trial comes into session.

and as long as it takes for my exams to end, a week tomorrow that is.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 04:49:25 PM »

I'm not in a hurry.
And besides, JFK has his exams until next week.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 06:30:04 PM »

Guess we'll have a chance to find out how looney our Supreme Court Justices really are.  Tongue
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2005, 10:35:38 PM »

At the moment I don't even know if you have standing  in this case Bono, let alone a case, since you haven;t said anything.  As a matter of practicality, I urge you to break this up into smaller chunks rather than one uber-case.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2005, 02:08:42 AM »

At the moment I don't even know if you have standing  in this case Bono, let alone a case, since you haven;t said anything.
Well, waht do you want me to say.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Just break it yourself as you wish. I don't want to post 6 diferent cases.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2005, 09:06:23 AM »

Damn it, I said NO COURT CASES!  Ok, I am going to wait till I get home from work tonight to consider these in depth, then appropriate action will be taken.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2005, 09:31:00 AM »

There are two solid economic conservatives on this supreme court.  I don't know how the hell that ever happened, but if this passes I may be brought back into the action of fantasy politics again.  I was debating whether to run for a second Senate term; if the supreme court agrees with Bono then the Senate and I will be forced to take action.  I'll move to increase the size of the supreme court.  I'll join with other economic progressives to fillibuster every bill until it is passed.  I'll bring this movement down.  I'll bring the government to a standstill if I have to.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2005, 12:20:28 PM »

fillibuster every bill until it is passed. 

Good luck with that.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2005, 12:30:07 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2005, 01:27:28 PM by John F. Kennedy »

There are two solid economic conservatives on this supreme court.  I don't know how the hell that ever happened, but if this passes I may be brought back into the action of fantasy politics again.  I was debating whether to run for a second Senate term; if the supreme court agrees with Bono then the Senate and I will be forced to take action.  I'll move to increase the size of the supreme court.  I'll join with other economic progressives to fillibuster every bill until it is passed.  I'll bring this movement down.  I'll bring the government to a standstill if I have to.

Have fun with that, I will enjoy living my life as normal while you do.

Oh and if you want the Supreme Court replaced, vote John F. Kennedy/Ernest and you get two new members!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2005, 12:39:46 PM »

That's a little melodramatic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies