Opinion of AAD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:51:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of AAD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: opinion of AAD
Freedom Forum

Horrible forum

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 111

Author Topic: Opinion of AAD  (Read 7622 times)
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2016, 11:13:41 PM »

With the disappearance of Einzige, it's a definite freedom forum. The only time I'm really motivated to post on Atlas is to call out idiocy or sperg about which congressional districts I've been to. AAD, on the other hand, has a lot of insightful discussion, even though I don't post *that* often.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2016, 11:57:08 PM »

About to get a whole lot worse it appears. Really going down the tube fast but still better than here.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2016, 08:40:28 PM »

It has it's issues, but I'm still a fan. Better userbase than Atlas Classic IMO.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2016, 10:12:15 PM »

Greatest forum! it has made atlas great again (by atlas, I mean my fellow high-energy winners who post on AAD).

I regret not being more active, though. been busy lately Sad
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2016, 06:24:17 AM »

It is technologically superior. And I do have a marginal preference for cursing.

But it has a culture that is pretty pathological and prides itself on a form of anti-intellectual schoolyard bullying that is pretty nasty and not particularly amusing imo. Everyone on there is so afraid of deviating from the pack that no one dares say anything new and instead threads are filled with repetitions of the same lines over and over again.

People keep telling me that it has great analysis but though I have in fairness not read a lot of the political threads in depth the ones I have looked at have mostly just been filled with people shouting TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP and thinking he'll win the black vote in a general election because he got such swagger and we all know how blacks are, right. Which I guess is not significantly worse than people on here expecting Jeb! to sweep the primaries but it also doesn't look like high quality analysis to me. But I'm open to the idea that I may have missed something. It seems to me that it is somewhat a matter of luck. They've been consistently predicting Trump will win every election on the planet and this cycle he has been successful so it comes out as a good track record, but I'm generally a bit skeptical of crystal ball worship.

Generally there is just such a vicious hatred of discussion on there from what I've observed. And a very self-conscious aggressive defensiveness about pretty much everything. If they could chill down a bit and just enjoy the perks they've created for themselves it'd be more enjoyable.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2016, 08:25:41 AM »

What oakvale said
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2016, 08:28:06 AM »

FF aside from the elitism.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2016, 11:04:36 AM »

dull0man not liking it is a huge recruiting tool.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2016, 11:10:29 AM »

I'm sure, and you're welcome.  Do you need me to model for any ad work?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2016, 12:56:23 AM »

I find AAD to be technologically inferior, interestingly enough Gustaf.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2016, 01:20:09 AM »

Never been to AAD, so I can't deliver an opinion.
You really should just register there.  There's a lot of good discussion among the long-time Atlas posters which makes for an interesting dynamic.  Having registered back in 2009 I think you qualify as an "old-timer".

I don't post there much myself but I don't post here much either.. so...
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2016, 05:46:54 AM »

A mixture. It's definitely got a better interface, the more exclusive member pool means there are less dumbarses and a lot of the content is better. That said the original purpose of AAD - a free speech, no rules board to interact with banned posters was hilariously stupid - we quickly found out that there was a reason people like Ziggy, Jamfist and the evil ballet dancer were banned (the only 'banned posters' worth talking to are politicus, Hamilton, Sawx and maybe tweed).

Einzige has left now, probably for good this time and jmfcst is officially gone for good.
You forgot Straha by the way.

No, that's a good list of quality banned posters as is.  I don't think Straha was "forgot."

Anyway, AAD is not without its problems but let's just say there are good reasons that even I (who never had much time for Trump or Update or coddling Nazis under the rationale of "free speech") have mostly migrated over there. 
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2016, 10:22:47 AM »

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2016, 05:48:28 PM »

Good place.  Highly recommended.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2016, 06:31:42 AM »

Definite freedom forum.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2016, 08:02:32 AM »

Childish and banal, But if you like picking on random special needs guys from Oklahoma it's the place to be.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2016, 08:21:55 AM »

AAD simultaneously holds itself as having better serious discussion than Atlas and also better not serious discussion than Atlas. This is accurate to me. It also, of course, still has a lot of useless bullsh**t, and I am happy to participate in that capacity.

In any case the Atlas Forum community continues to take itself and its members way, way too seriously, in a way that I have never encountered on any other forum. I don't know if it's to do with the Serious subject matter or the Serious moderation policies or what, but wow!

There's a reason this place sprouted the ingenious "FF/HP" dichotomy - a great deal of the userbase is incapable of processing nuance and separating people/demographics from their politics, and a small portion of the remainder calls them out on their bullsh**t. Every now and then this place chews up someone and spits out a real analytical (but lucid) bastard. I'm happy they've mostly consolidated in one place for now.

Those that otherwise remain here mostly are absolute monsters (in the best possible way) and I love reading them rip idiocy to shreds. It's what keeps me coming back (admittedly less and less often).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2016, 10:34:43 AM »

Childish and banal, But if you like picking on random special needs guys from Oklahoma it's the place to be.
They will proudly tell you (well, probably not anymore) that only 1 in 5 posts there are bullying that one specific individual.
James Monroe

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2016, 04:29:43 PM »

They will proudly tell you (well, probably not anymore) that only 1 in 5 posts there are bullying that one specific individual.
ODF is getting sound advised from the AAD community, suggesting him to cut down his carbs as well  sorting out his class schedules. And THERE NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!!!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2016, 05:47:31 PM »

I should point out that shortly after AAD started, a certain person made a serious of decisions that effectively cost his parents $2000 and put the money in the hands of organized crime...that was advised against by all of the "bullies" and WOULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED ENTIRELY if he actually did what the "bullies" said to do.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2016, 10:06:47 PM »

AAD simultaneously holds itself as having better serious discussion than Atlas and also better not serious discussion than Atlas. This is accurate to me. It also, of course, still has a lot of useless bullsh**t, and I am happy to participate in that capacity.

In any case the Atlas Forum community continues to take itself and its members way, way too seriously, in a way that I have never encountered on any other forum. I don't know if it's to do with the Serious subject matter or the Serious moderation policies or what, but wow!

There's a reason this place sprouted the ingenious "FF/HP" dichotomy - a great deal of the userbase is incapable of processing nuance and separating people/demographics from their politics, and a small portion of the remainder calls them out on their bullsh**t. Every now and then this place chews up someone and spits out a real analytical (but lucid) bastard. I'm happy they've mostly consolidated in one place for now.

Those that otherwise remain here mostly are absolute monsters (in the best possible way) and I love reading them rip idiocy to shreds. It's what keeps me coming back (admittedly less and less often).

^^^ This.

The better quality of serious and not serious discussions really shows you the better sides of a lot of posters. Almost everyone who posts there, my opinions of them have improved. I cannot name a single poster I think worse of after they post on AAD.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2016, 10:23:45 PM »

OK here's a great case in point: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=232526.0

On AAD there's a long discussion about the demographics involved here and what could happen with turnout...and here it becomes a bunch of posters yelling "But you think ________ will win _________!" back and forth and "But some guy said Trump would win 30% of the black vote!"

And then there's the fact I even need to make that to begin with. Seriously dead0man, consider the forum you're touting as superior has a significant number of posters who think that Donald Trump is going to make major inroads amongst blacks. Just stop and think about that for a second.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2016, 10:29:38 PM »

The better quality of serious and not serious discussions really shows you the better sides of a lot of posters. Almost everyone who posts there, my opinions of them have improved. I cannot name a single poster I think worse of after they post on AAD.

I had almost exactly the opposite experience.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2016, 10:42:20 PM »

That was probably because you were the target of a lot of the hate against Atlas on there. I joined last June but didn't really like it all that much until August. I was criticized some, but I think everyone got it out of them. I personally hate the Update mania and I'm still not a part of the Deep Atlas Culture, but I've really come to like the serious analysis and jokes, especially now with the flood of election-year posters.

I'd say give it another chance, but I don't blame you if you don't like it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2016, 10:48:39 PM »

I ask the same question to you as dead0man: What do you think about the fact the posters who make up the supposedly superior discussion here include a significant number who think that DONALD TRUMP will do better amongst the black vote than any Republican since the Civil Rights Act?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies