Morning Consult nat.:D: Clinton 48% Sanders 40%; R: Trump 42% Cruz 23% Rubio 12%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:02:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  Morning Consult nat.:D: Clinton 48% Sanders 40%; R: Trump 42% Cruz 23% Rubio 12%
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Morning Consult nat.:D: Clinton 48% Sanders 40%; R: Trump 42% Cruz 23% Rubio 12%  (Read 1197 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2016, 05:25:49 PM »

Morning Consult national, conducted March 11-13:

https://morningconsult.com/2016/03/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-donald-trump-ted-cruz-presidential-polling/

Dems

Clinton 48%
Sanders 40%

GOP

Trump 42%
Cruz 23%
Rubio 12%
Kasich 9%
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 05:31:23 PM »

Trendlines from all national polls:

izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 07:15:03 PM »

On the dem side, polls like this leave me still asking: Given how much Clinton won by in some parts of the country compared to the regions Sanders has won, where must Sanders be getting similar numbers (beyond Vermont) to account for a race this close on the national level?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 07:24:27 PM »

On the dem side, polls like this leave me still asking: Given how much Clinton won by in some parts of the country compared to the regions Sanders has won, where must Sanders be getting similar numbers (beyond Vermont) to account for a race this close on the national level?

Hopefully we find out tomorrow, amirite?
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 07:30:34 PM »

He's not.  Clinton leads massively in the South, the rest of the country is roughly a tie.

By population, the South is about 37.7% of the population.  The South probably makes up less than 38% of the Democratic party, since its generally a highly Republican part of the country.

If we were to assume that Clinton has roughly a 35 point lead throughout the entire South (as election results suggest), that would give us national lead of 13 points if the race is a tie everywhere else.  In all likelihood, the South contains less than 37% of Democrats, putting the nationwide race closer to the 8 point figure we see in polling.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 08:52:53 PM »

Sanders isn't going away yet Hillary trolls.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 09:05:52 PM »

Yeah, we're aware that he's too selfish to end his vanity campaign and let the party united behind the inevitable nominee.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 09:14:17 PM »

Yeah, we're aware that he's too selfish to end his vanity campaign and let the party united behind the inevitable nominee.

To be fair to ProgCanadian..

the only inevitability about Clinton is how rigged the delegate system is in her favor. If this weren't the case, the Clinton camp would be sh[it]ting bricks about the current momentum of Bernie.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 09:20:23 PM »

the only inevitability about Clinton is how rigged the delegate system is in her favor. If this weren't the case, the Clinton camp would be sh[it]ting bricks about the current momentum of Bernie.

Huh

How is the delegate system rigged in her favor?! She's crushing him in the popular vote and crushing him with pledged delegates.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 09:24:52 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2016, 09:27:45 PM by EliteLX »

Huh

How is the delegate system rigged in her favor?! She's crushing him in the popular vote and crushing him with pledged delegates.

Were it not for the superdelegates, it appears Bernie would be catching her quickly and this race would be far from "called" already on the Democrats side. She is doing well, yes, but Bernie is going uphill every single primary election day that comes around. Again, I'm not trying to pick sides here because I could frankly worry less as I clearly won't affiliate with the party come 2016, just mentioning observations.

She most certainly does have the upper hand regardless, just saying it's not completely fair to discredit the campaigns uphill fight these past few months. It's blown up from a "joke" developed by some hippies into an actually full blown competitive campaign pushing Hillary to play ball.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 09:36:53 PM »

Huh

Were it not for the superdelegates, it appears Bernie would be catching her quickly and this race would be far from "called" already on the Democrats side. She is doing well, yes, but Bernie is going uphill every single primary election day that comes around. Again, I'm not trying to pick sides here because I could frankly worry less as I clearly won't affiliate with the party come 2016, just mentioning observations.

She most certainly does have the upper hand regardless, just saying it's not completely fair to discredit the campaigns uphill fight these past few months. It's blown up from a "joke" developed by some hippies into an actually full blown competitive campaign pushing Hillary to play ball.

I think you may be confused. Hillary's delegate advantage is extremely strong even without the superdelegates.
psychprofessor

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 09:46:11 PM »

Huh

Probably after tomorrow night, regardless of the horserace wins and losses, Hillary approaches or surpasses a 300 pledged delegate lead and a 700 pledged with super delegate lead. That is extremely difficult to overcome in a proportional allocation system. Even in Bernie's best caucus states, the delegates are so few that 60/40 wins won't cut it. He would need 80/20 wins plus big upsets in NY, CA, PA and NJ.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 01:19:06 AM »

Huh

I think you may be confused. Hillary's delegate advantage is extremely strong even without the superdelegates.

Wow a two hundred delegate lead how can he ever overcome that....oh wait California has over 500. Her lead isn't as big as it's perceived to be.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 01:20:50 AM »

Huh

Wow a two hundred delegate lead how can he ever overcome that....oh wait California has over 500. Her lead isn't as big as it's perceived to be.

Two words: proportional allocation. If some states were winner take all, you'd have a point.

IIRC, Obama never led Hillary by more than 150 or so delegates.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 01:52:26 AM »

Huh

Two words: proportional allocation. If some states were winner take all, you'd have a point.

I get that it's proportional but when more than half the states haven't voted yet it's hard to declare a winner. Especially when Bernie has the Big MO.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 03:01:58 AM »

Huh

I get that it's proportional but when more than half the states haven't voted yet it's hard to declare a winner. Especially when Bernie has the Big MO.

First he has to get the MO today by winning Missouri. Tongue
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 08:12:56 AM »

The Big Mo needs to produce some landslides for him to come out on top in pledged delegates.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 08:27:39 AM »

The Big Mo needs to produce some landslides for him to come out on top in pledged delegates.

If PC was a little more stupid then I bet he'd be a TRUMP supporter.
psychprofessor

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 08:32:07 AM »

Huh

This is just a really basic misunderstanding of the proportional allocation. Take Ohio for example, it awards delegates proportionally, but certain congressional districts have more delegates available. This usually happens in more urban, typically larger AA or Hispanic districts. In Ohio, this is CD 11  - a huge AA population. Sanders can win the state narrowly and get awarded +2 delegates for a statewide win, but Clinton can win CD11 and win more delegates overall because that district has 17 delegates up for grabs. Now think about California, let's assume Sanders wins the state, there will be certain AA and Hispanic districts that Hillary dominates in - even if Sanders goes on for a statewide win. Let me point to 2008 - Hillary won the state by approximately 10% and over 500k votes, but still only managed to net about 35 delegates. For Sanders to start making up 300+ delegate deficits, he would need a 65/35 or even a 70/30 win in California and blow outs in certain congressional districts...this is why Ice Spear and others point to the fact that proportional allocation really hurts Sanders the more he trails. At a certain point he won't be able to realistically accrue enough delegates.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 08:37:58 AM »

Not his fault the Democrat Party has collectively betrayed proud progressives and leftists that once defined it in the name of neoliberal nonsense and Clintonian entitlement.  Are we going to be held hostage by Chelsea 20 years down the line, too?  
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies