Minimum wage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:44:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Minimum wage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Minimum wage  (Read 6220 times)
TB
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2005, 07:45:07 AM »

What is your opinion of minimum wage? Is a minimum wage necessary in the modern world? If then what do you think about the current minimum wage? Too high? Too low?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 07:57:29 AM »

What is your opinion of minimum wage? Is a minimum wage necessary in the modern world? If then what do you think about the current minimum wage? Too high? Too low?
I'm opposed to minimum wage.  If I want to work for $1 an hour, I should be allowed to do so.  I do not see why the government should forbid me from doing that.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 08:00:26 AM »

I also oppose it, but the last post gives a fairly weak argument.  I don't think many sane people would actually want to work for $1 an hour.  Most people who oppose it do so to protect the employers' own concerns, not the employees.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 08:07:54 AM »

I also oppose it, but the last post gives a fairly weak argument.  I don't think many sane people would actually want to work for $1 an hour.  Most people who oppose it do so to protect the employers' own concerns, not the employees.
I do.  I'm a paramedic every other weekend.  I would rather have them pay me $1 an hour than $7.15 to help with the health care crisis in Canada.  However, because of minimum wages, they can't pay me less even though I consent to it.  As a result, we have a shortage of paramedics and nurses because there is no money in the budget to hire more people at lower prices.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 08:09:46 AM »

Ah, ok.  As its a second job, that's fair enough.  I was referring more to people who would only have that job to rely on.  I doubt any of them could consciously say they wanted to be paid $1 an hour.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 08:12:23 AM »

Ah, ok.  As its a second job, that's fair enough.  I was referring more to people who would only have that job to rely on.  I doubt any of them could consciously say they wanted to be paid $1 an hour.
When I'm in school it is my only job..
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 08:14:55 AM »

And do you have any other source of funding when in school, other than from the weekend job?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 08:16:09 AM »

And do you have any other source of funding when in school, other than from the weekend job?
No.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 08:17:57 AM »

Minimum wage is too low. Federal minimum wage should be about $7.50 with the option for states to go higher than that.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 08:21:35 AM »

No.

What, no private wealth or family contributions?  You don't have to give details, obviously.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 08:24:54 AM »

No.

What, no private wealth or family contributions?  You don't have to give details, obviously.
I use money I saved when I was working full time the previous semester.  No family contributions.  I pay my own way.

Scoonie, why can't I work for $1 an hour?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 08:27:09 AM »

I'm generally against it, however I'm fine with leaving the current federal minimum wage in place at it's current rate - most people who work for minimum wage are teenagers and most people rarely stay at that level of pay for long. Also in my experience most employers, even low level jobs, will pay more than minimum wage anyways.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 08:27:46 AM »

No.

I use money I saved when I was working full time the previous semester. No family contributions. I pay my own way.

Well okay then.  I was referring more to people who only have one job (and thereby one source of income) to rely on.  They're not likely to want to work for $1 an hour.

I should reiterate that I am against the minimum wage, by the way.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 08:30:56 AM »

They're not likely to want to work for $1 an hour.
And that is the beauty of no minimum wage!  You don't have to work if you don't like the rate!  But please, let those of us that do want to work cheaply do so.  It is grossly unfair to me that I can't work more hours as a paramedic (something I enjoy a great deal).
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 08:40:59 AM »

You can work for $0 an hour. Just become a volunteer instead of an employee.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 08:56:17 AM »

I'm opposed to minimum wage.  If I want to work for $1 an hour, I should be allowed to do so.  I do not see why the government should forbid me from doing that.

Who on earth would either defend their right to work for $1 an hour or  actually want to work for $1 an hour?

Dave
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 09:09:43 AM »

No, I do not work for free.  I want to be paid $1 an hour.  It is enough to cover my expenses to get to the job, go back home, and to buy a lunch or a drink.  Are you opposed to this?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2005, 09:16:08 AM »

No, I do not work for free.  I want to be paid $1 an hour.  It is enough to cover my expenses to get to the job, go back home, and to buy a lunch or a drink.  Are you opposed to this?

I think your work is worth more than $1 an hour Richard

Dave
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2005, 09:16:39 AM »

Not for you I'm not. I think you're ridiculous and it's a ridiculous argument which only shows how self-absorbed you are.

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2005, 09:18:19 AM »

I would also like the option to be paid less than minimum wage. Gives me a definite advantage over others in finding a job.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2005, 09:23:34 AM »

I would also like the option to be paid less than minimum wage.

Go for it. I'm sure many employers would love to pay you under the table if you'll work for less than minimum wage.

I hope this is not just idealogical crap from you. I full expect you to be working for less than minimum wage in the near future.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2005, 09:25:50 AM »

No, it would have to be legalized to be realistic.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2005, 09:30:32 AM »

I think your work is worth more than $1 an hour Richard

Dave

That's not his point though - he likes doing the job because he think's it's worth doing, not because of what he gets paid. However, he does need enough pay to cover the expenses of actually doing the job - he's a college student after all, and I imagine he'd volunteer if he had another source of income that would sufficiently cover those costs, but he does not. Since he's forced to take minimum wage even though he's willing to work for less, there are less paramedics available due to lack of funds, and that's bad because more are needed.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2005, 09:32:53 AM »

If you want to get paid slave wages, go to a third world country.

If you don't need the money, volunteer and work for free. None of this $1 an hour crap.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2005, 09:40:49 AM »

If you want to get paid slave wages, go to a third world country.

If you don't need the money, volunteer and work for free. None of this $1 an hour crap.
I would work for free, but I'm not working so that it COSTS ME money.  If I work for no wages, it costs me money to work (transportation, etc.).  That is unacceptable.

Why, Scoonie, why are you upset about what I negotiate with my employer?  Why should you worry about it?  Isn't this a private manner?  Can't you use the same argument, that of privacy, to apply to wages if it applies to sodomy laws?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies