Sanders: even if I have fewer pledged delegates, I can still win nomination...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 10:58:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders: even if I have fewer pledged delegates, I can still win nomination...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sanders: even if I have fewer pledged delegates, I can still win nomination...  (Read 2726 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2016, 08:49:25 PM »
« edited: March 17, 2016, 09:02:09 PM by Blue3 »

Sanders: even if I have fewer pledged delegates, I can still win nomination... by convincing superdelegates I'd be better!

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/sanders-open-to-help-from-superdelegates-647035459778

Yes, this is what Bernie is saying now, including on the Rachel Maddow show tonight.

Sanders said he'd do anything within the rules to win, since he thinks he'd be the stronger candidate in the general election. That the one with the most pledged delegates will probably win, but doesn't have to, that it depends on other factors like who's stronger in the GE and how they could flock to him for that reason to give him the nomination.

Someone is playing the game now...

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 08:57:56 PM »

This feels like an attempt to make sure that his voters in future states don't give up and not show up to the polls.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 09:00:33 PM »

This feels like an attempt to make sure that his voters in future states don't give up and not show up to the polls.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 09:02:47 PM »

Obviously if she gets indicted.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 09:14:24 PM »

Yes, and fundraising.

Let it go! In that circumstance, the Convention would be open and Sanders probably still wouldn't get the nomination in the end.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 09:14:59 PM »

This just made Hillary's path to a majority a lot easier and quicker now that he's legitimizing superdelegates.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 09:17:42 PM »

This just made Hillary's path to a majority a lot easier and quicker now that he's legitimizing superdelegates.

He always accepted the legitimacy of superdelegates. It's his crazier supporters that have prematurely freaked out whenever they've been mentioned or even unmentioned.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 09:17:54 PM »

Yep, my first thoughts exactly, I wonder would the more fervent Sandernistas complain about the undemocratic nature of Superdelegates if they supported Bernie at the same rate, or higher, than Clinton?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 09:32:55 PM »

Yep, my first thoughts exactly, I wonder would the more fervent Sandernistas complain about the undemocratic nature of Superdelegates if they supported Bernie at the same rate, or higher, than Clinton?

After seeing what is happening with Trump on the Republican side, I no longer have any issue with the idea of superdelegates.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 09:52:14 PM »

Its possible that after the Yankee primary in the last weekend of April Clinton could issue a press release with 700+ supers saying they are with Clinton and she can just declare the race over.  

There are hardly any contests in May and I doubt she wants to spend May and June wasting time and money on Bernie when she can focus on Trump.

Bernie should not be opening this door because it's night and darkt outside and full of terrors.  
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 09:54:54 PM »

It's hilarious to have Bernie himself advocating the super delegates overrule the voters when this is precisely what his whack job base has been complaining about for months (even though he's never led in pledged delegates). Let me guess, they've all already completely changed their minds about the process after this interview?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 10:01:12 PM »

It's hilarious to have Bernie himself advocating the super delegates overrule the voters when this is precisely what his whack job base has been complaining about for months (even though he's never led in pledged delegates). Let me guess, they've all already completely changed their minds about the process after this interview?

He did briefly lead in pledged delegates after NH but before NV. Just a quibble. Tongue
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 07:00:23 AM »

Everyone knows he is saying this not to demoralize his voters & pick up victories & delegates.

I don't support this BS Super Delegate thing for Bernie or Hillary - Not like ridiculous Clinton hacks, I wouldn't at all like if this were to happen - And I'm sure it won't anyways
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 07:57:02 AM »

Good
Luck
With
That
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 09:21:08 AM »

So far I have yet to hear one good reason why I should support Mrs. Clinton when Senator Sanders is so much better. Not one. Sanders can win if people vote for him.
So enough of who will win or who will lose. Whom should you vote for is the critical question?
Many of Clinton's ideas sound good, but with the exception of gun control which they both strongly support, Sander's idea sound equally good if not better.
Who can be against education? Who can be against health care? Who can be for war or against peace? Sanders is probably right about 95% of the time if not more.
I don't agree with everything but 95% plus is pretty close to 100%.
It's not about Sanders. It's not about me. It's about making America the best that it can be.
I beg your pardon, I never promised you that life is fair or that it will be EASY. Nothing worthwhile every comes easy. (except maybe a little bit of sleep now and then)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 09:50:13 AM »

After seeing what is happening with Trump on the Republican side, I no longer have any issue with the idea of superdelegates.
The only reason to have super delegates is that in a three person race, (or more) it is possible that nobody gets a majority of delegates. So, yes, there is a certain logic to the process. They will vote as their conscience guides them, hopefully.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 09:59:33 AM »

As far as what is right. I don't think they are elected by people, but appointed by the party.
CORRECT me if that's wrong. If I am correct, then it seems to make more sense to elect them directly by the people as uncommitted delegates. Why does it make sense not to let the voters have some voice in their selection? Is there something wrong with wanting the "Democratic" party to be "democratic"? As I as I said each superdelegate should vote their conscience.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/271651-pelosi-pans-superdelegate-system

"I'm not a believer in the sway of superdelegates deciding who is going to be the nominee," Pelosi told reporters in the Capitol. "I think we have a democratic process where people vote on both sides of the aisle … and that that should determine who the nominee is."

standwrand
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.55, S: -2.74

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 02:07:41 PM »

@berniesanders:

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 02:41:24 PM »

Of course not. It only became a problem when it looked like Sanders might lose because of them. Now that he needs them, I'm sure most dissenters against superdelegates will clam up.

It's kind of interesting how people could rail against superdelegates after seeing Trump steamroll the GOP primary. If anything, Trump has cemented my support of superdelegates as they can serve as a way to stop someone like Trump from destroying the party. However, I could agree that maybe there should be a little less of them.

After all, no one forced Sanders to run in the Democratic party. He chose us and his supporters should accept that those were the rules when he signed up, instead of being sore losers, or even hypocrites now Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 02:42:22 PM »

Come on, what else he's suppoused to say?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2016, 02:44:44 PM »

"I have come to realize that it will be largely impossible to win at this point. That being said, I am officially suspending my bid for the Democratic nomination and will now be committing all the resources at my disposal to supporting downballot races for liberal Democrats to help take back state legislatures and Congress. So I ask all of you to please donate to support this cause and help bring us closer to equality for all"
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2016, 02:46:32 PM »

Of course not. It only became a problem when it looked like Sanders might lose because of them. Now that he needs them, I'm sure most dissenters against superdelegates will clam up.

It's kind of interesting how people could rail against superdelegates after seeing Trump steamroll the GOP primary. If anything, Trump has cemented my support of superdelegates as they can serve as a way to stop someone like Trump from destroying the party. However, I could agree that maybe there should be a little less of them.

After all, no one forced Sanders to run in the Democratic party. He chose us and his supporters should accept that those were the rules when he signed up, instead of being sore losers, or even hypocrites now Tongue

Meh. I'm not exactly a fan of overturning the will of the voters by fiat. If the party's voters want to commit suicide, then let them do so and learn their lesson.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2016, 02:48:42 PM »

"I have made the difficult decision to suspend my campaign. These months are better spent gearing up for the general election. The country hangs in the balance and I have full faith in Secretary Clinton to unstack the deck that currently favours the millionaires and billionaires at the top. I endorse her and urge my supporters to do the same."
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2016, 02:50:45 PM »

"I have come to realize that it will be largely impossible to win at this point. That being said, I am officially suspending my bid for the Democratic nomination and will now be committing all the resources at my disposal to supporting downballot races for liberal Democrats to help take back state legislatures and Congress. So I ask all of you to please donate to support this cause and help bring us closer to equality for all"

I don't know. Before Hillary clinches enough delegates (which is not that far away from now), it would be stupid for him to quit the race. Some more time campaigning won't do any damage, it actually keeps Hillary in better shape. Don't worry, he'll almost certainly come around them.

Though I agree that suggesting he can get the nomination without winning more delegates is unfortunate at best, since it contradicts previous message.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2016, 03:34:52 PM »

BOLD PREDICTION. Whoever gets a majority of the elected delegates wins the nomination. I could be wrong; I usually am.
OK, now that that's settled let's talk about something else.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies