Egypt sentences 4 year old to life and blind man to death
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:08:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Egypt sentences 4 year old to life and blind man to death
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Egypt sentences 4 year old to life and blind man to death  (Read 1732 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2016, 08:52:07 AM »

because they both were accused of murdering and looting and shenanigans.  Because you know that's just how 4 year old kids (actually he was just 18 months old when he murdered all those people) and blind dudes do.

link - free thought project
You must be logged in to read this quote.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 09:31:27 AM »

Sisi's reign is so caroonishly evil. Ah well, at least propping him is sure profits for our arms companies.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 09:41:52 AM »

A little, but that's not really why we do the propping.  The reasons are several, at least in my opinion....
1.to keep the men with beards away from Army
2.which allows a little fragile peace in a part of the world that needs all the little spots of fragile peace it can get
3.and thus, many Americans with jobs gets to keep them because that thing they build has a few more buyers (and yes, the stockholders do better too), but I don't think that's a primary reason

All that said, we should not be propping up bastards.  It doesn't end well like 89% of the time. (haven't actually done the math...just assuming it does end well occasionally...it has to right?  I can't think of any good examples off the top of my head....I'd say that skinny country in S.America, but I know that's a trigger word for some people.)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 10:28:24 AM »

It's actually quite common in the Arab countries to have such confusion regarding age: utter mess with documentation, no regular census (the last one in Lebanon was conducted before WWII) , mistaken identity or, simply speaking, people not knowing their birth date. For example I've heard about cases in Syria when a man is called up for a draft just to turn out they called a five years old or 70 years old. My Syrian professor had two birth dates, but he was lucky it was the same year.

That being said, the freaking judge could see they brought him a four-years old. WTF dude?
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 11:11:15 AM »

What a great moderate Sisi is!
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 11:17:51 AM »

It's actually quite common in the Arab countries to have such confusion regarding age: utter mess with documentation, no regular census (the last one in Lebanon was conducted before WWII) , mistaken identity or, simply speaking, people not knowing their birth date. For example I've heard about cases in Syria when a man is called up for a draft just to turn out they called a five years old or 70 years old. My Syrian professor had two birth dates, but he was lucky it was the same year.

That being said, the freaking judge could see they brought him a four-years old. WTF dude?

I guess Lebanon is different case and no one important want to conduct census because of fragile political system based on sectarianism. Was previous attempt to chose the president 20th time when they wanted to to this? 30?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 11:24:43 AM »

I love how staunchly anti-opebo dead0man is using an opeboism here ("the men with beards")
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 11:32:16 AM »

I love how staunchly anti-opebo dead0man is using an opeboism here ("the men with beards")
It was on purpose Wink  Was one of the handful of issues we agreed upon and I liked the phrase.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 11:55:39 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2016, 12:01:24 PM by King Wilhelm I of Prussia »

I guess Lebanon is different case and no one important want to conduct census because of fragile political system based on sectarianism. Was previous attempt to chose the president 20th time when they wanted to to this? 30?

That is correct. The last census was allowed by the Maronite government when they still had a majority. Naturally, proportions had switched significantly in favor of the Muslim population since then. No one wants to upset the power-sharing agreement (President is always a Maronite, Prime Minister a Sunni Muslim, Speaker of the Parliament a Shia, etc.), since I reckon it wouldn't be difficult to conduct a census in Lebanon.

In states like Egypt, where you don't have Lebanese-style situation, in addtion to factors I've mentioned before, many people simply bother to register birth of their children.

A little, but that's not really why we do the propping.  The reasons are several, at least in my opinion....
1.to keep the men with beards away from Army

Middle Eastern politics is indeed funny. Sisi is basically a Saudi/Gulf Emirates toyboy. The Gulf countries does very little to prevent their citizens from financing ISIS, but they highly dislike Muslim Brotherhood.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 02:55:29 PM »

I miss the Muslim Brotherhood regime Sad
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 03:21:54 PM »

I kinda hate to say this, but I feel the same way with more and more news coming from Egypt.

I have little warm feelings for the Muslim Brotherhood, but Morsi was a Democratically elected leader and the MB was just one of active political parties. Sisi, as Crab rightly pointed out, is more and more a cartoonish villain.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 01:21:51 PM »

I kinda hate to say this, but I feel the same way with more and more news coming from Egypt.

I have little warm feelings for the Muslim Brotherhood, but Morsi was a Democratically elected leader and the MB was just one of active political parties. Sisi, as Crab rightly pointed out, is more and more a cartoonish villain.

It was obvious from day 1 that Sisi rule would be an abomination that it is. Nobody, who ever supported it, has any defence on a charge of consciously supporting Evil.  Wailing about how horrible it turned out is hypocrisy: we all new exactly what it was when it happened.   
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 03:36:50 PM »

I'm with ag here, this should surprise nobody. Luckily this is one of the times the West are not to blame,  Morsi was overthrown by a internal coalition of everybody outside the MB (and I mean everybody; it's really rare you see a coalition of salafists, Copts, liberals and secular authocrats) with the support of Saudi Arabia. Yes Morsi didn't get support from Obama or any other Western leader, but he had been busy burning every bridge he could through his reign. So this is the Egyptians own business.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 03:59:00 PM »

Yes, I got the sense that Morsi and the Brotherhood were more hopelessly incompetent boobs who got elected on a sense of goodwill because of their deep patronage networks and had very little idea of how to run a country effectively; rather than the sort of Evil Theocrats they could have been.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 04:21:44 PM »

Yes, I got the sense that Morsi and the Brotherhood were more hopelessly incompetent boobs who got elected on a sense of goodwill because of their deep patronage networks and had very little idea of how to run a country effectively; rather than the sort of Evil Theocrats they could have been.

They was pretty bad in the whole "Evil Theocrats" sense (which was why the Copts and liberals joined the coalition), but you're right their biggest sins was incompetence and trying to set up a new clientistic system, where they only rewarded members of the MB. If you set up a clientistic system you should not only reward your loyalists, but also bribe the enemies who can overthrow you, which in this case should be the army and salafists (you could potential trade the salafists for the Copts, but it's easier to keep salafists and MBs in same line than Copts and MBs).
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 08:26:31 PM »

Blind people can commit crimes too.  I don't see the problem with this, maybe he had a seeing eye dog?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 06:06:19 AM »

The whole MB threat is Egypt was overblown, given that their support base was quite limited.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 09:19:40 AM »

Yes, while that's true (Saddam himself was an example), these two cases are ridiculous. While it is possible for a blind person to kill someone, it's not exactly easy.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 12:04:24 PM »

How absurd.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2016, 01:31:04 AM »

This is very disturbing, as others have stated. However, the argument that somehow that the Muslim Brotherhood was better is ridiculous.

Just because someone is democratically elected does not mean that it is a good thing. Obviously, the same goes for western world-backed leaders, democratically elected or not, in general.

Obama should have defended Mubarak. He was an assclown, but he kept Egypt stable.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies