Will Ted Cruz Support Donald Trump When Trump Wins the GOP Nod?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:52:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Ted Cruz Support Donald Trump When Trump Wins the GOP Nod?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Will Ted Cruz ultimately support Donald Trump at the GOP Convention?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Will Ted Cruz Support Donald Trump When Trump Wins the GOP Nod?  (Read 2046 times)
Why
Unbiased
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 03:13:52 PM »

There probably will be a number Republicans, including Cruz, who are willing to attack Clinton and democratic policies but give only token support for Trump if that.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 03:20:42 PM »

Who knows? He's repeatedly dodged the question.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2016, 04:30:13 PM »

There probably will be a number Republicans, including Cruz, who are willing to attack Clinton and democratic policies but give only token support for Trump if that.

As Cruz is from reliably Republican Texas and isn't up for re-election this year.  he will be able to duck the issue as much as he chooses.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2016, 07:45:36 PM »

There is absolutely no way that the highly principled and pillar of honesty and integrity, Ted Cruz, would ever vote for the sniveling coward and pathological liar Donald Trump.

And that is as it should be.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2016, 07:47:47 PM »

There is absolutely no way that the highly principled and pillar of honesty and integrity, Ted Cruz, would ever vote for the sniveling coward and pathological liar Donald Trump.

But if he's a pillar of honesty and integrity, wouldn't he hold to his pledge to support the party's nominee, even if it's Trump?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2016, 08:07:10 PM »

But if he's a pillar of honesty and integrity, wouldn't he hold to his pledge to support the party's nominee, even if it's Trump?

Fair point.  However, a highly principled individual could not, in all good conscience, vote for an individual like Trump who preaches hate, bigotry, racism, who advocates killing babies and toddlers, and who calls women fat pigs and dogs.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2016, 08:12:57 PM »

Things may be personal now, but at the end of the day Ted wants to defeat Hillary, so yes he'll support Trump.  He may not actively campaign, but he'll definitely support Trump.  The Supreme Court is on the line and Ted doesn't want to risk a 5-4 or 6-3 liberal court for the next 30-40 years just because of a personal attack.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2016, 08:23:37 PM »

Fair point.  However, a highly principled individual could not, in all good conscience, vote for an individual like Trump who preaches hate, bigotry, racism, who advocates killing babies and toddlers, and who calls women fat pigs and dogs.

Whatever one may say about Trump's behavior, this "issues" were "issues" at the time the whole crew of GOP hopefuls signed a pledge to support the final ticket, one they criticized Trump for hesitating before signing.  Now, with Trump looking more and more like the nominee, look who are the ones not wanting to support the ticket.

Trump may be rude and crude, but a sniveling coward he is not.  Trump has dealt with the voters honestly, and in good faith, regarding the issue of party loyalty.  He has indicated that he would support the ticket so long as he was not deprived of the nomination unfairly by the GOP Establishment.  And I think most reasonable people understand what that means.

On that issue, the sniveling cowards were the folks who had no intention of ever supporting a Trump ticket.  They signed the pledge, then said "Trump's not going to be the nominee." when asked the question of "What if it's Trump?".  That's where Cruz is today.  Frankly, I'd have much more respect for Cruz if he came out and said he couldn't personally vote for Trump after what he's said about his wife, and I think most Republicans would, so it begs the question of why he, and other Republicans, are still playing patty-cake with the issue.  

There's no more "What if it's Trump?".  Right now, it's GOING TO BE TRUMP barring highly unlikely events and/or very ugly machinations at the GOP convention that will likely result in alienating most of Trump's supporters.  Is Rubio really going to endorse Trump?  Is Jeb?  Is Kasich?  If these guys don't ever intend to do this, they need to say this now, because if the entire GOP field of candidates can't bring themselves to support Trump as a nominee on philosophical or moral grounds, shouldn't those Republicans who haven't voted in primaries hear that from them NOW?

Trump may be Cro-Magnon man with his manners, but he's been far more honest than Cruz and the rest of the pack, including Kasich.  Think about that for a minute before telling me I'm full of beans.

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2016, 08:36:52 PM »

Fair point.  However, a highly principled individual could not, in all good conscience, vote for an individual like Trump who preaches hate, bigotry, racism, who advocates killing babies and toddlers, and who calls women fat pigs and dogs.

Whatever one may say about Trump's behavior, this "issues" were "issues" at the time the whole crew of GOP hopefuls signed a pledge to support the final ticket, one they criticized Trump for hesitating before signing.  Now, with Trump looking more and more like the nominee, look who are the ones not wanting to support the ticket.

Trump may be rude and crude, but a sniveling coward he is not.  Trump has dealt with the voters honestly, and in good faith, regarding the issue of party loyalty.  He has indicated that he would support the ticket so long as he was not deprived of the nomination unfairly by the GOP Establishment.  And I think most reasonable people understand what that means.

On that issue, the sniveling cowards were the folks who had no intention of ever supporting a Trump ticket.  They signed the pledge, then said "Trump's not going to be the nominee." when asked the question of "What if it's Trump?".  That's where Cruz is today.  Frankly, I'd have much more respect for Cruz if he came out and said he couldn't personally vote for Trump after what he's said about his wife, and I think most Republicans would, so it begs the question of why he, and other Republicans, are still playing patty-cake with the issue. 

There's no more "What if it's Trump?".  Right now, it's GOING TO BE TRUMP barring highly unlikely events and/or very ugly machinations at the GOP convention that will likely result in alienating most of Trump's supporters.  Is Rubio really going to endorse Trump?  Is Jeb?  Is Kasich?  If these guys don't ever intend to do this, they need to say this now, because if the entire GOP field of candidates can't bring themselves to support Trump as a nominee on philosophical or moral grounds, shouldn't those Republicans who haven't voted in primaries hear that from them NOW?

Trump may be Cro-Magnon man with his manners, but he's been far more honest than Cruz and the rest of the pack, including Kasich.  Think about that for a minute before telling me I'm full of beans.

THANK YOU!!!  You are absolutely correct!!
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2016, 09:45:33 PM »

Fair point.  However, a highly principled individual could not, in all good conscience, vote for an individual like Trump who preaches hate, bigotry, racism, who advocates killing babies and toddlers, and who calls women fat pigs and dogs.

Whatever one may say about Trump's behavior, this "issues" were "issues" at the time the whole crew of GOP hopefuls signed a pledge to support the final ticket, one they criticized Trump for hesitating before signing.  Now, with Trump looking more and more like the nominee, look who are the ones not wanting to support the ticket.

Trump may be rude and crude, but a sniveling coward he is not.  Trump has dealt with the voters honestly, and in good faith, regarding the issue of party loyalty.  He has indicated that he would support the ticket so long as he was not deprived of the nomination unfairly by the GOP Establishment.  And I think most reasonable people understand what that means.

On that issue, the sniveling cowards were the folks who had no intention of ever supporting a Trump ticket.  They signed the pledge, then said "Trump's not going to be the nominee." when asked the question of "What if it's Trump?".  That's where Cruz is today.  Frankly, I'd have much more respect for Cruz if he came out and said he couldn't personally vote for Trump after what he's said about his wife, and I think most Republicans would, so it begs the question of why he, and other Republicans, are still playing patty-cake with the issue. 

There's no more "What if it's Trump?".  Right now, it's GOING TO BE TRUMP barring highly unlikely events and/or very ugly machinations at the GOP convention that will likely result in alienating most of Trump's supporters.  Is Rubio really going to endorse Trump?  Is Jeb?  Is Kasich?  If these guys don't ever intend to do this, they need to say this now, because if the entire GOP field of candidates can't bring themselves to support Trump as a nominee on philosophical or moral grounds, shouldn't those Republicans who haven't voted in primaries hear that from them NOW?

Trump may be Cro-Magnon man with his manners, but he's been far more honest than Cruz and the rest of the pack, including Kasich.  Think about that for a minute before telling me I'm full of beans.

THANK YOU!!!  You are absolutely correct!!

I would also point out that in 1972 and 1976, the Democratic candidates for President were honest, in advance of the primary, as to whether or not they would support George Wallace if he were to win the Democratic nomination.  None of them said "Wallace is not going to be the nominee."  All of them knew that, as well as Wallace, himself, but they still answered the question.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2016, 11:04:17 PM »

I would say yes, Cruz would support Trump if he were the nominee.
But as of now it is impossible to know what will happen.  I have this gut feeling that we are in for more surprises.  Open conventions, 2nd ballots, 3rd ballots, third party runs, Romneys, Ryans, Bushes, retired Marine generals.  Any of this could come into play.  The establishment GOP is about to get into this, so get ready.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2016, 11:34:22 PM »

Why would Cruz support the Sniveling Coward?

Because Cruz himself is a chickenhawk coward who will do literally ANYTHING to advance his career.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2016, 12:47:15 AM »

Because Cruz himself is a chickenhawk coward who will do literally ANYTHING to advance his career.

So you figure the chickenhawk cowards will stick together?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2016, 01:36:08 AM »

Absolutely. Cruz will stand with Trump in the general election.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2016, 08:20:46 AM »

Absolutely. Cruz will stand with Trump in the general election.

It's a little hard to wrap my mind around that. 

What does it say about the rest of the GOP field when Trump has, in many ways, given them a plausible "out" from endorsing him, and they respond by calling him all sorts of names ("con man", "misogynist") that resonate with real people to varying degrees, yet they still respond to the question of whether or not they will support nominee Trump by assertions that Trump won't be the nominee?

Aside from being cowardly, that reply shows that the rest of the field are, perhaps, slow-learning dullards.  The reply of "Trump's not going to be the nominee." is one of those replies that says, "The adults will take care of it." and implies to voters the message of "I'm privy to something you're not privy to."  These responses reinforce the "eliteness" of the GOP Establishment Elite, the sort of thing that has generate the response to the Establishment that resulted in Donald Trump becoming the frontrunner.

They don't get it, do they?  Trump has absolutely delighted his own supporters (and more than a few undecided voters) by "spilling the beans" on a number of secrets.  The classic example of this is when, after being booed at a debate, Trump revealed to the TV audience that the crowd in the hall was screened by the RNC and that many of those doing the booing were members of the Donor Class.  Yes, there was a "gentleman's agreement" to not discuss this, but Trump's candidacy has pointed out how so many "gentleman's agreements" are little more than Negative Contracts to keep the average citizen from realizing exactly how they're being screwed.  He put the boos in a rightful context that voters had a right to know.

This, perhaps, is why I'm not real upset with Donald Trump and his rudeness and crudeness.  Yes, I'm very concerned by the coarsening of our society, but a good deal of the coarsening is the product of the average citizen being squeezed and screwed by elites (and, particularly, GOP Establishment elites) who then deliberately inflame these folks' anger (They mustn't know contentment under a Democratic Administration, eh?) and try to "instruct" them as to whom to be angry with.  In other words, they've been played and screwed by folks with good manners whose wives have never posed nude.  Trump has upset these applecarts, and these applecarts needed upsetting, did they not?

Remember dudeabides?  His posts that were virtual hero-worship of Jeb Bush?  Now dudeabides was a good guy and he was the kind of guy I'd like to have on my campaign (once I find a few benevolent billionaires to fund it, lol).  But his arguments were the arguments that suggest that folks don't know what is REALLY good for them.  When confronted with the fruits of Bushism by Daddy Bush and W, he fell back on the argument that Jeb! was his own person, and he wasn't them.  It was appeal to get folks to vote the same way and expect a different result.  What dudeablides (and, more importantly, Jeb! and his ilk) didn't get is that their particular game had been exposed.  Folks were on to them, and Donald Trump became an instrument in making it happen.  If Donald Trump were to change his campaign slogan from "Make America Great Again", he ought to employ his REAL campaign slogan:  "Game Recognizes Game".
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies