Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2017, 03:07:08 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: AndrewTX, Likely Voter, TJ in Wisco)
| | |-+  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 80 Print
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread  (Read 116271 times)
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1800 on: August 27, 2017, 11:47:13 am »
Ignore

Kasich denies Kasich-Hickenlooper:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/kasich-2020-run-dem-hickenlooper-answer-no-n796356

“Look, ‘Kasich-Hickenlooper,’ first of all, you couldn’t pronounce it and second of all, you couldn’t fit it on a bumper sticker,” Kasich said on Sunday’s “Meet The Press.”

When host Chuck Todd pointed out that those words weren’t a denial, Kasich flatly said, “the answer is ‘no,’ okay.”

Biden writes an op/ed in The Atlantic in which he says that Trump “has emboldened white supremacists with messages of comfort and support.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/08/joe-biden-after-charlottesville/538128/

And Julian Castro calls Trump a pendejo over the Arpaio pardon:

https://twitter.com/JulianCastro/status/901244569911734273

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Clinton1996
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: August 27, 2017, 04:52:44 pm »
Ignore

I was pretty sure Castro didn't even speak Spanish?

America's Sweetheart ❤
TexArkana
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: August 27, 2017, 05:27:49 pm »
Ignore

Shh, he has to appeal to Hispanics.

"If you could marry any famous person, who would you marry?"
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: August 27, 2017, 09:42:47 pm »
Ignore

Shoot, this was a word that I didn't even realize I knew in Spanish, that I allegedly spoke to an Ex-GF back in '95 after we had an argument over the phone a few hours after we came home from going to a strip-club down the road and I had apparently consumed way too much Whiskey.

So, idk about Julian's fluency in Spanish, but pretty sure he is much more fluent than myself, even although I had a year of College Spanish in my Mid '20s, and learned tons more Spanish working with a majority Latino workforce in Houston Texas in the early 2010s...

He's basically "calling a dog a dog" using a pejorative nickname/term in Spanish, where frequently among Mexican-Americans using nicknames are common as descriptive terms to refer to individuals in social circles (Frequently not in a pejorative sense). I had a couple Spanish language nicknames among the 200 people I worked with in Houston, that were heavily Latino.

One referenced the color of my skin (Red) because I have Rosacea which is very common among people of Northern European Ancestry, and another where I was called "The Peoples Boss"....

Nicknames are not unusual among Spanish speakers in Texas, and in fact in Mexico Trump's "nickname" well before the 2016 GE was Payaso....

I'm sure that calling Trump a Pendejo or a Payaso, is politically speaking using relatively soft gloves in the event he is preparing for a major WWE style boxing round to go "toe-to-toe" with Trump.

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: August 28, 2017, 03:20:55 pm »
Ignore

More Franken:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/08/27/talking-points-sen-al-franken-state-fair/

Senator Franken said, “So that is so flattering to hear that but that is nothing I want to do. I want to run for re-election. I want to represent Minnesota. I love my job and I want to represent Minnesota in the Senate.”

The story says that Klobuchar also "brushed aside" talk of running for president, but doesn't provide the exact quote.  Without a quote being given, I'm going to assume that it was the kind of non-denial denial she's given other times that she's been asked.

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: August 28, 2017, 03:24:28 pm »
Ignore

"Everyone's running for president in 2020":

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/everyone-s-running-president-2020-n796116

kyc0705
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: August 28, 2017, 03:41:47 pm »
Ignore

"Everyone's running for president in 2020"

Can confirm. I have had seven Draft PACs launched in my name already even though I will never be constitutionally eligible. I have also rented condos in Iowa and New Hampshire, like everyone else.

Kringla Heimsins
France

View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: August 28, 2017, 05:00:16 pm »
Ignore

CORRECTION (Aug. 28, 2017, 11:56 a.m.): An earlier version of this article misspelled the last name of South Bend’s mayor.

Sometimes, the jokes write themselves.

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: August 28, 2017, 07:47:23 pm »
Ignore

Warren courting civil rights leaders.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." - H.L. Mencken
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: August 28, 2017, 08:29:03 pm »
Ignore

It'll be a sh!tshow primary I tell ya.

Orange County Suburbanite

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: August 28, 2017, 10:45:21 pm »
Ignore

This story says that (shocker!) many of the likely 2020 Dem. candidates who claim to not yet be thinking about 2020 are lying, and are in fact holding presidential strategy sessions with aides and looking at campaign hires:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/28/2020-democrats-new-hampshire-garcetti-242121?lo=ap_f1

Behind the scenes, big donors have been getting chased nonstop by candidates who like to deny that they’re anywhere near thinking about being candidates. Strategy sessions are quietly being held. Preliminary calls are going out about potential staff hires. That’s normal, though a little accelerated.

Also, here's Garcetti during his trip to NH:

A man at one of the stops told Garcetti, after the obligatory cellphone photo: “Come back sometime.”

“I will,” the mayor said.

“Maybe when you run for president.”

“Maybe. We’ll see.”

By the next stop, Garcetti had shifted. Come back soon, a man told him as he headed for the car to the airport for the flight home.

“I will,” he said.

Santander
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 5.39

View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: August 29, 2017, 03:41:33 pm »
Ignore

It is a gross misunderstanding of Trump to believe that his win means anyone run for President and win now.

we get it, you're a horrible person.
Y'know, at least Santander embraces and admits to being a piece of s**t.
henster
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: August 30, 2017, 08:35:11 am »
Ignore

I don't know what Garcetti is thinking he is a quintessential big city liberal 'coastal elite' probably the worst kind of candidate for WWC voters.
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: August 30, 2017, 02:48:56 pm »
Ignore

Buttigieg in Iowa.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." - H.L. Mencken
pikachu
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: August 30, 2017, 03:15:12 pm »
Ignore

Idk if Garcetti is capable of winning, but I wouldn't mind him running if only because the issues he's championed as mayor (transit, homelessness, housing affordability) are things I wished Democrats talked more about. I think it's also worth pointing out that LA's definitely more of a working-class city than people from the outside think it is, and it's dealt with a lot of the same issues Rust Belt cities have. (LA also has the largest manufacturing sector in the country fwiw...)

PM Scores:
E: -2.52 > -4.13 > -3.68
S: -4.61 > -3.48 > -5.65
kyc0705
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: August 30, 2017, 07:54:52 pm »
Ignore

Idk if Garcetti is capable of winning, but I wouldn't mind him running if only because the issues he's championed as mayor (transit, homelessness, housing affordability) are things I wished Democrats talked more about. I think it's also worth pointing out that LA's definitely more of a working-class city than people from the outside think it is, and it's dealt with a lot of the same issues Rust Belt cities have. (LA also has the largest manufacturing sector in the country fwiw...)

I like Garcetti, and wouldn't mind him running, basically for the same reasons you've described. If we have to have one big city mayor in the race, better him than De Blasio.

Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: August 30, 2017, 11:58:39 pm »
Ignore

It is a gross misunderstanding of Trump to believe that his win means anyone run for President and win now.

I believe it's more along the lines tha they believe running against him (or any GOP candidate) after 4 years of the Incompetent and Terrifying Hate Circus means it will be very easy to win the Presidency with the Dem nomination. (I don't completely agree, but can see why they'd think that.)

Furthermore, I consider that the Republican Party must be destroyed.

Kander2020

View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: August 31, 2017, 08:20:05 am »
Ignore

Kamala Harris announces her support for Sanders' Single Payer Medicare bill. Possible move to appeal with progressives better in 2020?

AL Senate - Moore
AZ Senate - Ward
FL Senate - Sol Invictus
KA Gubernatorial - Kobach
MA Senate - Shiva
MO Senate - Petersen
MT Senate - Rosendale
NJ Gubernatorial - Guadagno
NV Senate - Tarkanian
OH Senate - Mandel
TN Senate - Blackburn
TX Senate - Cruz
VA Gubernatorial - Gillespie
VA Senate - Stewart
Chris Murphy 2020
MAINEiac4434
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

P
View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: August 31, 2017, 01:54:38 pm »
Ignore

Kamala Harris announces her support for Sanders' Single Payer Medicare bill. Possible move to appeal with progressives better in 2020?
Definite move. She's almost certainly running, and it least senses which direction the wind of the party is blowing, unlike, say, Booker.

Liberalrocks
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: August 31, 2017, 04:37:03 pm »
Ignore

Does Hillary Clinton see an opening in 2020? - Chicago Tribune
https://apple.news/ACrWtGOVsQmqmKHuP0eeiLg

Shadows
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: August 31, 2017, 04:48:00 pm »
Ignore

Bernie Sanders set to hold two political events in New Hampshire over Labor Day weekend

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/08/31/bernie-sanders-set-to-hold-two-political-events-in-new-hampshire-over-labor-day-weekend/23192734/

Shameless Bernie Hack
Chickenhawk
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: August 31, 2017, 07:00:31 pm »
Ignore

This is the sixth year in a row he's keynoted the Labor Day Breakfast. You'd think that they'd get bored.

Why weep or slumber, America?

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." ~Sen Barry Goldwater
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: August 31, 2017, 11:32:23 pm »
Ignore

When Garcetti was in New Hampshire, he also said that the 2020 Dem. primary electorate will have plenty of options (which I guess could be taken as a hint that he's open to being such an option):

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/31/democrats-2020-sanders-warren-biden-242189

No one is getting a cleared field the way Clinton — with the exception of a bid by Sanders that few took seriously at first — did.

“Not only will candidates not stand for it, I think the American people won’t stand for it again,” Garcetti said. “They want options. They don’t want to be told who to vote for."

That article also talks about how the most well known 2020 prospects (Biden, Sanders, and Warren) are all over 70, and that this is a problem for the younger candidates.  I really don't think being unknown right now is any kind of deal killer.  Having early name recognition does offer some advantage in the primaries, but it's not like name recognition is some fixed thing.  There will certainly be some candidates who are unknown to most voters now, who will become known within the next three years.

And when they try to extend that name recognition argument to the general election as well, it becomes downright ridiculous:

Then there’s everyone else looking at a White House run who could embody a new start, separate from the Washington and political establishment that repel voters. But they’re virtually unknown, and they’d be running against the most famous man in the world who’s proved he can dominate every news cycle.

Why on Earth would present day lack of name recognition (in 2017) be some kind of liability in the general election in 2020?  Anyone who wins the Democratic nomination will, as a consequence of running and winning the Democratic nomination for president, become world-famous, with nearly 100% name recognition among American voters by the time they've clinched the nomination.  This argument strikes me as really dumb.

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: September 01, 2017, 08:12:39 am »
Ignore

Bullock, Murphy and Tim Ryan are seeking staff.

7.35, 3.65

Chris Murphy 2020
MAINEiac4434
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

P
View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: September 01, 2017, 03:45:26 pm »
Ignore

This is the sixth year in a row he's keynoted the Labor Day Breakfast. You'd think that they'd get bored.

I mean at this rate, they can probably quote back his entire speech.

Ugh, Ryan. Go Murphy.

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 80 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout