The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:28:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread  (Read 212549 times)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1900 on: September 12, 2017, 10:38:35 AM »
« edited: September 12, 2017, 07:02:39 PM by Gary Johnson »

Are there any speculative 2020 candidates that have been known to communicate with him in the past?
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1901 on: September 12, 2017, 04:23:24 PM »

I really hope the Democrats don't rely on donor money too much... they really need to work on conveying their message with the people and raising money with small donations. It's a lot more inconsistent, but they need to do something to start and fix this broken system.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1902 on: September 12, 2017, 08:47:40 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2017, 08:49:35 PM by Anyone But Trump 2020 »

Are there any speculative 2020 candidates that have been known to communicate with him in the past?

Lasry is affiliated with Avenue Capital, who has paid Blumenthal, Wyden, Feingold, Schumer, Kaine, Kander, Duckworth, Leahy, and Bennet.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1903 on: September 12, 2017, 08:58:56 PM »

Lasry is affiliated with Avenue Capital, who has paid Blumenthal, Wyden, Feingold, Schumer, Kaine, Kander, Duckworth, Leahy, and Bennet.

Thank you!
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1904 on: September 12, 2017, 09:31:16 PM »

Franken now backing Medicare for all
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/350363-franken-backs-sanders-medicare-for-all-bill
I hope tyt covers this to show how bad they are in july they ambushed him with a question about single payer while he was  busy so he couldn't answer the question then tyt went on to bombard him and say he dodged the question. Smh I read his book the longest chapter in his book is about why he supports single payer and how bad our healthcare system is.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1905 on: September 13, 2017, 10:17:24 AM »

Latest from Kaine....and his wife:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/12/tim-kaine-virginia-campaign-trail-242388

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1906 on: September 13, 2017, 12:02:09 PM »

If California moves their primary up to be fifth in line (as is expected) Kamala Harris' chances of running are at least 85% and her chances of winning the nomination are going to be pretty damn high.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #1907 on: September 13, 2017, 02:40:00 PM »

If California moves their primary up to be fifth in line (as is expected) Kamala Harris' chances of running are at least 85% and her chances of winning the nomination are going to be pretty damn high.
They're moving their primary up to Super Tuesday which won't help Kamala survive the early primaries. California also loses 20% of its delegates at the cost of moving ahead so it isn't like she'll gain that many more delegates by winning it on Super Tuesday. Primaries aren't winner take all for Dems so as long as her opponent can put up semi competitive numbers there then they're fine. My problem with seeing Kamala win the primary is that I don't see her winning one of Iowa or New Hampshire. If you don't win at least one of those I don't think you can be the nominee.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1908 on: September 13, 2017, 06:02:56 PM »

They're moving their primary up to Super Tuesday which won't help Kamala survive the early primaries. California also loses 20% of its delegates at the cost of moving ahead so it isn't like she'll gain that many more delegates by winning it on Super Tuesday. Primaries aren't winner take all for Dems so as long as her opponent can put up semi competitive numbers there then they're fine. My problem with seeing Kamala win the primary is that I don't see her winning one of Iowa or New Hampshire. If you don't win at least one of those I don't think you can be the nominee.

Nope. California only loses its delegates if it moves up its primary before iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada. And I'm pretty sure it said it will stand alone, not on Super Tuesday.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #1909 on: September 13, 2017, 07:13:51 PM »

Nope. California only loses its delegates if it moves up its primary before iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada. And I'm pretty sure it said it will stand alone, not on Super Tuesday.
According to Morden's thread on the subject, California would be voting on Super Tuesday.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1910 on: September 13, 2017, 10:21:13 PM »

It will not stand alone.  The bill currently before the legislature would move the primary to the first Tuesday in March, which is Super Tuesday.  The same day when 10+ other states (mostly in the South, like Texas, Virginia, Tennessee, Alabama) are voting.

http://frontloading.blogspot.com/p/2020-presidential-primary-calendar.html

And if it does make this move, then it will lose some delegates compared to the number it had in 2016.  States that vote later in the primary calendar get bonus delegates relative to the baseline number that they get based on population and party strength.  Voting in June, like it did in 2016, provides a delegate bonus of 20%.  Whereas voting in March gives you no delegate bonus.  So yes, moving from June to March will cost them some delegates.

[And if they moved up further into February or earlier, then not only would there be no delegate bonus, but there'd be a steep delegate penalty.  Only IA/NH/NV/SC are allowed to go in February without a delegate penalty.]
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1911 on: September 14, 2017, 06:13:46 PM »

Kirsten Gillibrand rounds out the 2020 contenders going on Pod Save America

As they comment (somewhat puckishly) just before the ad break, the only serious 2020 contender left who hasn't gone on is Bernie Sanders, and I personally don't believe he's actually running.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1912 on: September 14, 2017, 06:44:00 PM »

As they comment (somewhat puckishly) just before the ad break, the only serious 2020 contender left who hasn't gone on is Bernie Sanders, and I personally don't believe he's actually running.

Gillibrand sounds like an 80s Valley Girl

She's cool.
Trump's not.
She's from the Valley.
Trump's not.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1913 on: September 14, 2017, 08:00:34 PM »

When does she speak in this? I can't seem to find it
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1914 on: September 14, 2017, 09:19:23 PM »

When does she speak in this? I can't seem to find it

48:50
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1915 on: September 14, 2017, 11:20:08 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2017, 11:23:00 PM by PittsburghSteel »

Kamala Harris landed her first endorsement from novelist, Salman Rushdie.

http://www.indiawest.com/news/global_indian/salman-rushdie-endorses-kamala-harris-for-president-slams-trump-at/article_4b11c734-9984-11e7-b8a6-0bebe0e88e74.html
uti2

« Reply #1916 on: September 14, 2017, 11:25:07 PM »

Gillibrand sounds like an 80s Valley Girl

And you sound like a 'BernieBro'.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1917 on: September 15, 2017, 09:23:15 AM »

Cuomo dodges the question when asked if he'll run for president:

http://freebeacon.com/politics/cuomo-dodges-question-potential-2020-presidential-run/

Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1918 on: September 15, 2017, 02:52:59 PM »

Cory Booker has terrible political instincts

Democratic Sen. Cory Booker (N.J.) gave $20,000 to the legal expense fund of Sen. Robert Menendez (D., N.J.), who is now on trial for corruption charges, records show. Booker appeared at the opening day of the corruption trial last week and sat in the first row behind his Democratic colleague. Booker said he expects "some serious appeals" if his mentor is convicted. "He's innocent until proven guilty. So he is an innocent man," Booker said.

Booker made the contributions to Menendez's legal fund from his own leadership political action committee, which was named CoryPAC at the time of the cash transfers. The first donation from Booker's PAC to Menendez's legal trust was made on Aug 17, 2015, in the amount of $10,000, the maximum amount that can be donated to the legal trust in a calendar year. Booker's second donation was made on March 4, 2016, and was also for $10,000. On April 18, 2016, a little more than a month after the second donation was made, CoryPAC changed its name to Purpose PAC, Federal Election Commission filings show. Booker appears to be the only politician who gave money to Menendez's legal fund.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/cory-booker-gave-20000-to-menendezs-legal-expense-fund/
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1919 on: September 15, 2017, 03:46:30 PM »

He is an idiot. Why tie yourself to this at all whether he is innocent or guilty? Booker is DOA regardless but this affirms it.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #1920 on: September 15, 2017, 03:58:18 PM »

This is probably the reason I don't want him to be our nominee the most. His ability to navigate politics are abysmal. He constantly grandstands on politically controversial issues. He's ruined his chances with most of the strong progressive base and it isn't like he's gonna pick up swing white voters after being ardently outspoken on liberal social issues.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1921 on: September 15, 2017, 06:19:16 PM »

NJ Pharma Bro 2020, no thank you.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1922 on: September 15, 2017, 10:14:43 PM »

Sunday morning talk show watch: Bernie Sanders and Tom Cotton will be on Meet the Press on Sunday:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NEWS_SHOWS?SITE=AP
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1923 on: September 15, 2017, 10:16:49 PM »

Democratic Sen. Cory Booker (N.J.) gave $20,000 to the legal expense fund of Sen. Robert Menendez (D., N.J.), who is now on trial for corruption charges, records show. Booker appeared at the opening day of the corruption trial last week and sat in the first row behind his Democratic colleague. Booker said he expects "some serious appeals" if his mentor is convicted. "He's innocent until proven guilty. So he is an innocent man," Booker said.

Booker made the contributions to Menendez's legal fund from his own leadership political action committee, which was named CoryPAC at the time of the cash transfers. The first donation from Booker's PAC to Menendez's legal trust was made on Aug 17, 2015, in the amount of $10,000, the maximum amount that can be donated to the legal trust in a calendar year. Booker's second donation was made on March 4, 2016, and was also for $10,000. On April 18, 2016, a little more than a month after the second donation was made, CoryPAC changed its name to Purpose PAC, Federal Election Commission filings show. Booker appears to be the only politician who gave money to Menendez's legal fund.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/cory-booker-gave-20000-to-menendezs-legal-expense-fund/

It's amazing how out of touch the guy who decided that Obama was being too critical of Wall Street is.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1924 on: September 15, 2017, 10:29:52 PM »

This week’s #2020Vision column:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/15/politics/2020-vision-california-primary-march/index.html

Some highlights…

Biden wrote an anti-Trump op/ed that ran in the NYT yesterday:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/14/opinion/joe-biden-more-perfect-union.html

And Cory Gardner is headed to South Carolina:

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/colorado-sen-cory-gardner-will-headline-south-carolina-gop-s/article_64af0424-928e-11e7-a75c-732fb427d655.html

I don’t believe he would primary Trump, but maybe he’s prepping for 2024.  Tongue

Not mentioned there, but I found it in a different article, Kander makes his third trip to NH in a month, and addresses 2020 speculation:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/Jason-Kandor-comes-to-New-Hampshire-for-fifth-time-headlines-Democrats-dinner-12520448

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies