Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 13, 2018, 03:59:18 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, TJ in Oregon, Virginiá)
| | |-+  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 79 Print
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread  (Read 130326 times)
Southern Dep. Speaker Dwarven Dragon
Wulfric
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: 1.22

P P

View Profile Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: November 23, 2016, 05:13:44 pm »

The only person I could see winning in 2020 is Warren. She can unite the Sanders wing of the party as well as the traditional "professional" wing of the party. Add in Kamala Harris for minority support and you have a very strong ticket.

Corey Booker is a stiff and should just go away. He's basically a failed DLC type candidate

Trump would defeat Warren by 20 points, Harris by 8 points. He'd defeat Sanders by 3 points. Booker would win by 7 points..

Kalwejt
YaBB God
« Reply #376 on: November 23, 2016, 05:16:16 pm »

Trump would defeat Warren by 20 points,

lol
Big Daddy Gonna Take Care Of Us
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

P

« Reply #377 on: November 23, 2016, 05:21:02 pm »

lol
He'd beat her. Just take the zero away from Wulfric's number and it isn't that bad a post.

Figueira
YaBB God

« Reply #378 on: November 23, 2016, 06:37:02 pm »

lol
He'd beat her. Just take the zero away from Wulfric's number and it isn't that bad a post.

If trends go in the other direction this time that could translate to a Warren victory in the electoral college.

Note: I am not actually British.

Figueira
YaBB God

« Reply #379 on: November 23, 2016, 06:37:51 pm »

I doubt it, Warren will have trouble with minorities like Clinton. Warren also will have to pull in hispanics where she has little appeal. John Bel Edwards will do a pretty good job with Southern Democrats while still being able to win over minorities with a strong VP. Warren could do the same with Castro but the ticket would be awkward with opposing ideologys. Warren only wins in places where Democrats have an assured victory.

Welcome to the forum!

Hindsight is 2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #380 on: November 23, 2016, 07:22:05 pm »

I think Julian Castro would be the wise choice vs Trump. He is young, well spoken, and has a good record of job creation as mayor

Election days come and go. But the struggle of the people to create a government which represents all of us and not just the one percent-a government based on the principles of economic, social, racial, and environmental justice-that struggle continues.-Bernie Sanders
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #381 on: November 24, 2016, 11:34:51 am »

Greg Giroux ‏@greggiroux  45m45 minutes ago
Senator-elect @KamalaHarris (D-CA) has set up a leadership PAC: Fearless for the People PAC
http://docquery.fec.gov/cgi-bin/fecimg/?_201611210300119592+0  #casen #capolitics

Doesn't necessarily mean much though.

Speaking of PACs, it looks like on Martin O'Malley's Twitter account, he still links to the O'Say Can You See PAC that supported him in the primaries:

https://martinomalley.com

According to the FEC, it had $57,000 cash on hand remaining a the end of September:

http://docquery.fec.gov/cgi-bin/forms/C00525220/1108401/

I assume it'll start fundraising again if O'Malley decides to run again.

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

What is your opinion of this thread?

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
JJC

« Reply #382 on: November 24, 2016, 09:32:56 pm »

Warren is the left's version of Ted Cruz. A firebrand who excites the base and turns everyone else away.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. ~Daniel Webster
lisathegreek

« Reply #383 on: November 24, 2016, 09:36:20 pm »

Let's run a Southerner in 2020. Focus on turning NC, GA, and FL Democratic with potential to make the other southern states remember that there is a Democratic Party. I say forget the Midwest. If they want to vote for the Dem great, but Dems need to focus on the south. The future of the party is to build a solid bi-coastal coalition and make occasional inroads in the inland south and inland north.

Republicans had a tea party purge beginning 8 years ago and it's clear the Dems need to do the same and forget old strategies that didn't work. We need to appeal to the south.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 09:38:24 pm by lisathegreek »Logged
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #384 on: November 24, 2016, 10:31:41 pm »

Gillibrand reaching out to Hillary's donors.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - de Gaulle

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." - Mencken
Figueira
YaBB God

« Reply #385 on: November 24, 2016, 10:42:51 pm »

Let's run a Southerner in 2020. Focus on turning NC, GA, and FL Democratic with potential to make the other southern states remember that there is a Democratic Party. I say forget the Midwest. If they want to vote for the Dem great, but Dems need to focus on the south. The future of the party is to build a solid bi-coastal coalition and make occasional inroads in the inland south and inland north.

Republicans had a tea party purge beginning 8 years ago and it's clear the Dems need to do the same and forget old strategies that didn't work. We need to appeal to the south.

Which Southerner do we run, though?

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #386 on: November 24, 2016, 11:04:11 pm »

Gillibrand reaching out to Hillary's donors.

Interesting:

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand is already reaching out to top Hillary Clinton donors about the 2020 presidential race.

Sources tell us that the New York senator has been personally making calls to some of Clinton’s biggest backers to “talk about the direction of the country.”

One source said, “She isn’t directly asking donors about her chances in 2020, but it is implied.”

However, while Gillibrand has close ties to Clinton’s political network, the move hasn’t gone down well with some Clinton supporters. “Many of us are still grieving. It’s like going after the widow at a funeral.”
If she were to run, it could set up an interesting clash of New Yorkers for the Democratic nomination. Gov. Andrew Cuomo has already made it clear he wants to make a run for the White House.

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
lisathegreek

« Reply #387 on: November 24, 2016, 11:27:48 pm »

Which Southerner do we run, though?

Doesn't need to be somebody famous or nationally prominent. A mayor or state legislator would do. Whoever is young and fresh and will get democrats as excited as Barack Obama did in 2008. After criticizing Obama for lack of experience, Republicans have now effectively ceded that issue for a generation, and none of the democratic names currently being floated inspire me at all.
Hindsight is 2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #388 on: November 24, 2016, 11:32:27 pm »

[/quote]Doesn't need to be somebody famous or nationally prominent. A mayor or state legislator would do. Whoever is young and fresh and will get democrats as excited as Barack Obama did in 2008. After criticizing Obama for lack of experience, Republicans have now effectively ceded that issue for a generation, and none of the democratic names currently being floated inspire me at all.
[/quote]

*cough* Julian Castro *cough*

Election days come and go. But the struggle of the people to create a government which represents all of us and not just the one percent-a government based on the principles of economic, social, racial, and environmental justice-that struggle continues.-Bernie Sanders
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #389 on: November 24, 2016, 11:33:22 pm »

Doesn't need to be somebody famous or nationally prominent. A mayor or state legislator would do. Whoever is young and fresh and will get democrats as excited as Barack Obama did in 2008. After criticizing Obama for lack of experience, Republicans have now effectively ceded that issue for a generation, and none of the democratic names currently being floated inspire me at all.
[/quote]

*cough* Julian Castro *cough*
[/quote]

Castro vs Trump 2020, because why not lose with a minority this time?

lisathegreek

« Reply #390 on: November 24, 2016, 11:35:47 pm »

Agreed. Castro will not do. We need a great orator with an inspiring story who makes people believe anything is possible if we come together as a nation. That's not Castro. Dems need to start thinking outside of the box or we will be in minority for a long time.
Hindsight is 2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #391 on: November 24, 2016, 11:41:56 pm »

Agreed. Castro will not do. We need a great orator with an inspiring story who makes people believe anything is possible if we come together as a nation. That's not Castro. Dems need to start thinking outside of the box or we will be in minority for a long time.
A) Trump is the walking apocalypse let's not act like we need freakin FDR to beat him in 2020 if he is as bad as early signs point and B) Castro was a poor kid raised by a single mom who went on to be a successful job creating mayor in a red state during the recession and as HUD has helped fight housing discrimination against gay and trans people. I can see that selling to the base especially aganist Cheeto Mussolini

lisathegreek

« Reply #392 on: November 24, 2016, 11:56:25 pm »

A) Trump is the walking apocalypse let's not act like we need freakin FDR to beat him in 2020 if he is as bad as early signs point and B) Castro was a poor kid raised by a single mom who went on to be a successful job creating mayor in a red state during the recession and as HUD has helped fight housing discrimination against gay and trans people. I can see that selling to the base especially aganist Cheeto Mussolini

Don't forget we live in a post-truth era. Reality is not reality, perception is reality. And Democrats are so disadvantaged by the electoral map (more voters, but concentrated in too few states) that we really do need an FDR who can appeal to and inspire all Americas. Hillary couldn't win with 2 million more votes. I want someone who can win by at least 5 million votes.

Cory Booker, Elizabeth Warren, Julian Castro, Amy Klobuchar, etc. aren't going to do it. We need the second coming of Barack Obama.
Hindsight is 2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #393 on: November 25, 2016, 12:00:58 am »

Don't forget we live in a post-truth era. Reality is not reality, perception is reality. And Democrats are so disadvantaged by the electoral map (more voters, but concentrated in too few states) that we really do need an FDR who can appeal to and inspire all Americas. Hillary couldn't win with 2 million more votes. I want someone who can win by at least 5 million votes.

Cory Booker, Elizabeth Warren, Julian Castro, Amy Klobuchar, etc. aren't going to do it. We need the second coming of Barack Obama.
I think your seriously over reading this election Trump barely beat a person who is under investigation by the FBI and has been at the center of 30 years worth of conspiracy theories

lisathegreek

« Reply #394 on: November 25, 2016, 12:02:50 am »

I think your seriously over reading this election Trump barely beat a person who is under investigation by the FBI and has been at the center of 30 years worth of conspiracy theories

No, George W. Bush barely beat Al Gore. Donald Trump comfortably defeated Hillary and will have the advantage of incumbency in 4 years.
Hindsight is 2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #395 on: November 25, 2016, 12:09:29 am »

No, George W. Bush barely beat Al Gore. Donald Trump comfortably defeated Hillary and will have the advantage of incumbency in 4 years.
I guarantee incumbency will not be an advantage for him in 4 years the only ways he could win against someone like Castro in 2020 is either a)against all odds and science the economy is doing better than now or b) white "identity politics" really is what got him elected in which case we could have bigger problems as a nation than Trump

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #396 on: November 25, 2016, 09:19:30 am »

Again, can we please move these lengthy debates about who the best nominee would be to other threads?  This thread is about news on the potential presidential candidates.  Nothing wrong with riffing a bit on some of that news to express your opinion on a candidate when his/her name comes up in one of the news stories, but the idea is not to initiate debates on who the nominee should be out of thin air.

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #397 on: November 25, 2016, 01:29:59 pm »

Some guy tweets “Can’t wait for your presidential run in 2020” to Booker, and his response tweet doesn’t deny it.  Tongue

https://twitter.com/CoryBooker/status/801991881722855424

@CoryBooker just watched your documentary on Netflix. Awesome! Can't wait for your presidential run in 2020!

Booker’s response:

So grateful you watched Street Fight on Netflix about my first run for major office. @marshallcurry did a great job with it. All the best.

Btw, since there’s been talk of both Cory Booker 2020 and (apparently) Tim Scott 2020 recently, might as well note that Booker and Scott both visited Israel back in August:

http://njjewishnews.com/article/32023/booker-finds-common-ground-in-israel#.WDiBiaIrK1s

In recent election cycles, Israel has become a perennial foreign stop for US presidential candidates.

Southern Dep. Speaker Dwarven Dragon
Wulfric
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: 1.22

P P

« Reply #398 on: November 25, 2016, 02:47:54 pm »

This article mentions Haley, Ernst, and Vicky Hartzler (R, MO-04) as potential 2020/24 candidates, but I personally doubt any of them would actually challenge Trump: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/election/article113891963.html

Fuzzy Bear
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #399 on: November 25, 2016, 03:08:08 pm »

Hillary 2020

Bet on it!

No. She's done, same with Bernie and even Michelle (wasn't likely anyways)

Democrats need someone fresh and new.

I'm not convinced she's done, but I'll bet her donors are.

If, somehow, she is absolved of all blame in the torrent of Clinton scandals, she might actually run, and might actually be nominated.  She'd have a case, in that she won the popular vote, and there may be buyer's remorse from the key constituencies in WI, PA, and MI that voted for Trump.  Trump may be so bad that folks might vote for Hillary to make amends, in the vein that Jim Carrey burned his clothes and took showers after figuring out that "Einhorn is a MAAAAAAAN!" in Ace Ventura:  Pet Detective

Of course, the probability of this is next to zero.  Even if Trump turns out horribly, the "You've failed TWICE!" argument will resonate with donors, and Hillary's NOTHING without them.

"Americanism isn’t a command to intervene and domineer in the world, but rather to lead by example. It isn’t the stuff of an ugly jingoistic nationalism, but a profound belief that in the entire span of history, we are truly great and that we should not be ashamed of being one of the world’s greatest hopes, we should embrace it." - Ned Ryun
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 79 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout