The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:30:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 79
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread  (Read 212426 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: November 12, 2016, 01:12:08 PM »

I continue to think that if Trump gets a challenger, it’s most likely to come from the so-called Liberty wing of the party.  Maybe it’ll be Rand Paul, but Justin Amash continues to be the one I’m looking at as a leading possibility.  Amash is already voicing skepticism about Trump, as seen by his recent tweets:

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/797213664021512194
https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/797264890197053440
https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/797421508297707520 (this one is from the AP, but was retweeted by Amash)

Meanwhile, on the Sanders front, Bernie’s wife says that he’s not concerned about what happens in 2020, as he’s focused on the present:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/11/politics/jane-sanders-bernie-sanders-2020/

But then, what else is she going to say?
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #276 on: November 12, 2016, 04:58:00 PM »

I'm writing letters to Representative Stephen Lynch, Brian Schweitzer and Jon Tester imploring them to consider a run for 2020.
Acestroke
« Reply #277 on: November 12, 2016, 05:37:53 PM »

Hard to see a scenario where Democrats don't go full Corbyn in 2020. Hillary's coalition of white neoliberal elites and minorities barely stopped the left in 2016 (helped by collusion and cheating). Who can replicate that in 2020? Cory Booker maybe?
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #278 on: November 12, 2016, 06:40:23 PM »

I've been hearing that some people, some very important, highly respected people want Michelle Obama to run for president.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #279 on: November 12, 2016, 07:19:48 PM »

I'm writing letters to Representative Stephen Lynch, Brian Schweitzer and Jon Tester imploring them to consider a run for 2020.

A social conservative will never win the nomination (No Lynch), Brian Schweitzer is past his time and also kinda nuts. Tester I could support.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #280 on: November 12, 2016, 07:27:06 PM »

I've been hearing that some people, some very important, highly respected people want Michelle Obama to run for president.
Maybe, but it'd continue the streak of an election with a Bush/Clinton/Obama on the ticket, starting from 1980. Feel like people are getting sick of that, so another Obama is risky.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #281 on: November 12, 2016, 07:32:30 PM »

If any of them could be competitive in the primary, I think they could help bring the eventual Democratic nominee (which is extremely unlikely to be any of those three) back to earth enough to understand how and why they should appeal to the White working class.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #282 on: November 12, 2016, 07:46:51 PM »

A social conservative will never win the nomination (No Lynch), Brian Schweitzer is past his time and also kinda nuts. Tester I could support.
Lynch isn't really even a social conservative. He's a conservative in comparison to the rest of Massachusetts's politicians. Which is like being the most honest man in Washington.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #283 on: November 12, 2016, 07:51:55 PM »

Lynch isn't really even a social conservative. He's a conservative in comparison to the rest of Massachusetts's politicians. Which is like being the most honest man in Washington.

He'd do about as well as Lincoln Chafee. He wouldn't even have name recognition in Massachusetts outside his district if it wasn't for his failed Senate run in 2013.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #284 on: November 12, 2016, 07:55:18 PM »

He'd do about as well as Lincoln Chafee. He wouldn't even have name recognition in Massachusetts outside his district if it wasn't for his failed Senate run in 2013.
You're probably right. But a boy can dream, can't he?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #285 on: November 12, 2016, 08:43:22 PM »

I guess if I had to pick a dream candidate from the MA House delegation it would be Jim McGovern. He's able to sell progressive ideas in a relatively moderate district. But he's expressed no interest in running for higher office.

We're getting kind of off-topic though.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #286 on: November 12, 2016, 09:59:20 PM »

Didn't Jon Tester vote against the auto bailout? There's a winning Michigan candidate! Roll Eyes
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #287 on: November 13, 2016, 10:25:25 AM »

More Cuomo talk:

http://buffalonews.com/2016/11/13/cuomo-in-2020/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The story also notes that it’s unclear if, should Cuomo decide to run, he’ll bother running for a 3rd term as governor first in 2018.  It might be easier for him to leave Albany before mounting a presidential campaign.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #288 on: November 13, 2016, 12:05:43 PM »

Cuomo will be crushed in the primary. This isn't 1992.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #289 on: November 13, 2016, 01:49:00 PM »

If he survives what could be a tough Senate election...Joe Manchin??

No way he would be nominated.
This.  The Dems are too SJW now to nominate a white Southern man who would already be in his 70s when primary season starts.

It is not even that. He is old. We need to stop nominating old people and rebuild our bench. PERIOD.
And he's owned by fossil fuels. We didn't lose this election by not being moderate enough. We lost it because people couldn't tell the difference.

Hard to see a scenario where Democrats don't go full Corbyn in 2020. Hillary's coalition of white neoliberal elites and minorities barely stopped the left in 2016 (helped by collusion and cheating). Who can replicate that in 2020? Cory Booker maybe?

And those same groups didn't turn out for HRC. Makes me wonder whether her "coalition" in the primary was really just older African Americans and Hispanics, corporate Dems, and women and LGBTQ folks (like myself) who were too enthusiastic about her historicity to see her flaws clearly.

The data has always said that economics wins elections, and I think leftist populism that gets the WWC folks who will be inevitably disappointed by the Donald and communities of color to the polls, tinged with feminist and pro-equality rhetoric builds a much better coalition than Cory Booker's corporate PR non-message.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #290 on: November 13, 2016, 02:16:19 PM »

It's not going to be Cuomo, Booker, Kaine, or any other Democrat in that mold. It's going to be someone popular with the young-uns, trust me on that.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #291 on: November 13, 2016, 02:38:22 PM »

2020 watch on the Sunday morning talk shows: Booker was on Meet the Press this morning, while Sanders was on Face the Nation.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #292 on: November 13, 2016, 02:39:38 PM »

What about Inslee in 2020 for the Democratic nomination

The moron who predicted Hillary would beat Bernie in Washington?  No thanks.  He's so out of touch, it's not even funny.  The nominee has to be a Bernie supporter because everyone else proved themselves to be clueless.  Jeff Merkley would be the best option by far.  Keith Ellison would be a good option but being Muslim would hurt his chances.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #293 on: November 13, 2016, 03:12:02 PM »

It's not going to be Cuomo, Booker, Kaine, or any other Democrat in that mold. It's going to be someone popular with the young-uns, trust me on that.

Maybe, but good luck getting that person to win anything in the South.

That candidate wouldn't need to win the South. They'd just need to do better than Bernie there and in the Rust Belt.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #294 on: November 13, 2016, 04:04:52 PM »

Some more 2020 talk from the Dems (much of it dated, but relevant again)….

Biden
Over the summer, Biden said that he wouldn’t rule out running for office in the future:

http://time.com/4432295/joe-biden-vice-president-office-2/

Booker
A few days before the election, this was Booker on 2020:

http://www.wkyc.com/news/politics/elections/us-senator-cory-booker-one-on-one/347525918

de Blasio

This story from last year is worth a read again:

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-does-bill-de-blasio-want-in-2016-2015-4

It talks about how de Blasio made a trip to Iowa last year, which sparked a brief round of speculation about whether he might be interested in running as the progressive insurgent candidate against Clinton in the ’16 Dem. primaries.  Of course, de Blasio passed on a run:

But that was in response to the question of whether he’d run in ’16.  Running for reelection as mayor of NYC doesn’t preclude him running for president in 2020.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #295 on: November 13, 2016, 05:32:06 PM »

de Blasio is definitely under hyped for 2020.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #296 on: November 13, 2016, 11:41:30 PM »

De Blasio is left nowhere - Neither on the Bernie camp nor Hillary although he is trying to cosy up to Bernie to get the progressive rub off further.

But he is only a big city mayor. IMO he should run for Senate or be a governor to be considered seriously. I think he will run for NY Governor soon!

Hope xingkerui is right & we don't get Booker, Kaine, Gillebrand, Coumo type but a firebrand progressive with strong appeal to young voters - 4 years is a long time & new leaders will come too
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #297 on: November 14, 2016, 07:29:04 AM »

I don't even know if he'll be my mayor 14 months from now
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #298 on: November 14, 2016, 10:22:53 AM »

I love him, but the last person the Democrats need right now is the mayor of New York, whoever that is.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #299 on: November 14, 2016, 10:25:24 AM »

I love him, but the last person the Democrats need right now is the mayor of New York, whoever that is.

Similarly, I think the biggest problem with Harris at this point is the optics of her having been a San Francisco local politician. Most of the other negatives about her can be cancelled out--'muh soft on crime' with the fact that she was a DA, her less-than-Ozzie and Harriet personal life with Trump's vastly worse one, et cetera--but not that one, unfair as that is.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies