The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:12:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 79
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread  (Read 212350 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: November 24, 2016, 11:34:51 AM »

Greg Giroux ‏@greggiroux  45m45 minutes ago
Senator-elect @KamalaHarris (D-CA) has set up a leadership PAC: Fearless for the People PAC
http://docquery.fec.gov/cgi-bin/fecimg/?_201611210300119592+0  #casen #capolitics

Doesn't necessarily mean much though.

Speaking of PACs, it looks like on Martin O'Malley's Twitter account, he still links to the O'Say Can You See PAC that supported him in the primaries:

https://martinomalley.com

According to the FEC, it had $57,000 cash on hand remaining a the end of September:

http://docquery.fec.gov/cgi-bin/forms/C00525220/1108401/

I assume it'll start fundraising again if O'Malley decides to run again.
JJC

« Reply #376 on: November 24, 2016, 09:32:56 PM »

Warren is the left's version of Ted Cruz. A firebrand who excites the base and turns everyone else away.
lisathegreek

« Reply #377 on: November 24, 2016, 09:36:20 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2016, 09:38:24 PM by lisathegreek »

Let's run a Southerner in 2020. Focus on turning NC, GA, and FL Democratic with potential to make the other southern states remember that there is a Democratic Party. I say forget the Midwest. If they want to vote for the Dem great, but Dems need to focus on the south. The future of the party is to build a solid bi-coastal coalition and make occasional inroads in the inland south and inland north.

Republicans had a tea party purge beginning 8 years ago and it's clear the Dems need to do the same and forget old strategies that didn't work. We need to appeal to the south.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #378 on: November 24, 2016, 10:31:41 PM »

Gillibrand reaching out to Hillary's donors.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #379 on: November 24, 2016, 10:42:51 PM »

Let's run a Southerner in 2020. Focus on turning NC, GA, and FL Democratic with potential to make the other southern states remember that there is a Democratic Party. I say forget the Midwest. If they want to vote for the Dem great, but Dems need to focus on the south. The future of the party is to build a solid bi-coastal coalition and make occasional inroads in the inland south and inland north.

Republicans had a tea party purge beginning 8 years ago and it's clear the Dems need to do the same and forget old strategies that didn't work. We need to appeal to the south.

Which Southerner do we run, though?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #380 on: November 24, 2016, 11:04:11 PM »

Interesting:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
lisathegreek

« Reply #381 on: November 24, 2016, 11:27:48 PM »

Which Southerner do we run, though?

Doesn't need to be somebody famous or nationally prominent. A mayor or state legislator would do. Whoever is young and fresh and will get democrats as excited as Barack Obama did in 2008. After criticizing Obama for lack of experience, Republicans have now effectively ceded that issue for a generation, and none of the democratic names currently being floated inspire me at all.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #382 on: November 24, 2016, 11:32:27 PM »

[/quote]Doesn't need to be somebody famous or nationally prominent. A mayor or state legislator would do. Whoever is young and fresh and will get democrats as excited as Barack Obama did in 2008. After criticizing Obama for lack of experience, Republicans have now effectively ceded that issue for a generation, and none of the democratic names currently being floated inspire me at all.
[/quote]

*cough* Julian Castro *cough*
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #383 on: November 24, 2016, 11:33:22 PM »

Doesn't need to be somebody famous or nationally prominent. A mayor or state legislator would do. Whoever is young and fresh and will get democrats as excited as Barack Obama did in 2008. After criticizing Obama for lack of experience, Republicans have now effectively ceded that issue for a generation, and none of the democratic names currently being floated inspire me at all.
[/quote]

*cough* Julian Castro *cough*
[/quote]

Castro vs Trump 2020, because why not lose with a minority this time?
lisathegreek

« Reply #384 on: November 24, 2016, 11:35:47 PM »

Agreed. Castro will not do. We need a great orator with an inspiring story who makes people believe anything is possible if we come together as a nation. That's not Castro. Dems need to start thinking outside of the box or we will be in minority for a long time.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #385 on: November 24, 2016, 11:41:56 PM »

Agreed. Castro will not do. We need a great orator with an inspiring story who makes people believe anything is possible if we come together as a nation. That's not Castro. Dems need to start thinking outside of the box or we will be in minority for a long time.
A) Trump is the walking apocalypse let's not act like we need freakin FDR to beat him in 2020 if he is as bad as early signs point and B) Castro was a poor kid raised by a single mom who went on to be a successful job creating mayor in a red state during the recession and as HUD has helped fight housing discrimination against gay and trans people. I can see that selling to the base especially aganist Cheeto Mussolini
lisathegreek

« Reply #386 on: November 24, 2016, 11:56:25 PM »

A) Trump is the walking apocalypse let's not act like we need freakin FDR to beat him in 2020 if he is as bad as early signs point and B) Castro was a poor kid raised by a single mom who went on to be a successful job creating mayor in a red state during the recession and as HUD has helped fight housing discrimination against gay and trans people. I can see that selling to the base especially aganist Cheeto Mussolini

Don't forget we live in a post-truth era. Reality is not reality, perception is reality. And Democrats are so disadvantaged by the electoral map (more voters, but concentrated in too few states) that we really do need an FDR who can appeal to and inspire all Americas. Hillary couldn't win with 2 million more votes. I want someone who can win by at least 5 million votes.

Cory Booker, Elizabeth Warren, Julian Castro, Amy Klobuchar, etc. aren't going to do it. We need the second coming of Barack Obama.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #387 on: November 25, 2016, 12:00:58 AM »

Don't forget we live in a post-truth era. Reality is not reality, perception is reality. And Democrats are so disadvantaged by the electoral map (more voters, but concentrated in too few states) that we really do need an FDR who can appeal to and inspire all Americas. Hillary couldn't win with 2 million more votes. I want someone who can win by at least 5 million votes.

Cory Booker, Elizabeth Warren, Julian Castro, Amy Klobuchar, etc. aren't going to do it. We need the second coming of Barack Obama.
I think your seriously over reading this election Trump barely beat a person who is under investigation by the FBI and has been at the center of 30 years worth of conspiracy theories
lisathegreek

« Reply #388 on: November 25, 2016, 12:02:50 AM »

I think your seriously over reading this election Trump barely beat a person who is under investigation by the FBI and has been at the center of 30 years worth of conspiracy theories

No, George W. Bush barely beat Al Gore. Donald Trump comfortably defeated Hillary and will have the advantage of incumbency in 4 years.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #389 on: November 25, 2016, 12:09:29 AM »

No, George W. Bush barely beat Al Gore. Donald Trump comfortably defeated Hillary and will have the advantage of incumbency in 4 years.
I guarantee incumbency will not be an advantage for him in 4 years the only ways he could win against someone like Castro in 2020 is either a)against all odds and science the economy is doing better than now or b) white "identity politics" really is what got him elected in which case we could have bigger problems as a nation than Trump
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #390 on: November 25, 2016, 09:19:30 AM »

Again, can we please move these lengthy debates about who the best nominee would be to other threads?  This thread is about news on the potential presidential candidates.  Nothing wrong with riffing a bit on some of that news to express your opinion on a candidate when his/her name comes up in one of the news stories, but the idea is not to initiate debates on who the nominee should be out of thin air.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #391 on: November 25, 2016, 01:29:59 PM »

Some guy tweets “Can’t wait for your presidential run in 2020” to Booker, and his response tweet doesn’t deny it.  Tongue

https://twitter.com/CoryBooker/status/801991881722855424

Booker’s response:

Btw, since there’s been talk of both Cory Booker 2020 and (apparently) Tim Scott 2020 recently, might as well note that Booker and Scott both visited Israel back in August:

http://njjewishnews.com/article/32023/booker-finds-common-ground-in-israel#.WDiBiaIrK1s

In recent election cycles, Israel has become a perennial foreign stop for US presidential candidates.

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #392 on: November 25, 2016, 02:47:54 PM »

This article mentions Haley, Ernst, and Vicky Hartzler (R, MO-04) as potential 2020/24 candidates, but I personally doubt any of them would actually challenge Trump: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/election/article113891963.html
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #393 on: November 25, 2016, 03:08:08 PM »

No. She's done, same with Bernie and even Michelle (wasn't likely anyways)

Democrats need someone fresh and new.

I'm not convinced she's done, but I'll bet her donors are.

If, somehow, she is absolved of all blame in the torrent of Clinton scandals, she might actually run, and might actually be nominated.  She'd have a case, in that she won the popular vote, and there may be buyer's remorse from the key constituencies in WI, PA, and MI that voted for Trump.  Trump may be so bad that folks might vote for Hillary to make amends, in the vein that Jim Carrey burned his clothes and took showers after figuring out that "Einhorn is a MAAAAAAAN!" in Ace Ventura:  Pet Detective

Of course, the probability of this is next to zero.  Even if Trump turns out horribly, the "You've failed TWICE!" argument will resonate with donors, and Hillary's NOTHING without them.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #394 on: November 25, 2016, 08:46:27 PM »

http://draftfranken.com/join-the-team/

DRAFT FRANKEN now has positions open for a National Finance Director, National Media Director, Social Media Coordinator, etc.

Looks like it's getting real and is probably the most sophisticated draft effort as of yet for 2020...though obviously it's crazy early
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #395 on: November 25, 2016, 09:01:33 PM »

I like Al but he comes off as a better VP than top ticket
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #396 on: November 26, 2016, 03:05:17 AM »

Martin Heinrich (D-NM) (Senator Dreamboat) has taken up the mantle of attacking the Dakota Access Pipeline. He could be a good candidate. Pro-environment and anti-mass surveillance, but he doesn't have a widely publicized or controversial background to my knowledge (that's what holds Sanders and Warren back). This could be a start of Heinrich raising his profile for a 2020 run. He's pretty young (he'll be 49 in 2020), he's had two terms in the House (2009-2013) and will have been in the Senate for about 8 years. He also doesn't have the stigma of being a coastal liberal.

http://krwg.org/post/heinrich-calls-president-reroute-dakota-access-pipeline
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #397 on: November 26, 2016, 11:33:10 AM »

Martin Heinrich (D-NM) (Senator Dreamboat) has taken up the mantle of attacking the Dakota Access Pipeline. He could be a good candidate. Pro-environment and anti-mass surveillance, but he doesn't have a widely publicized or controversial background to my knowledge (that's what holds Sanders and Warren back). This could be a start of Heinrich raising his profile for a 2020 run. He's pretty young (he'll be 49 in 2020), he's had two terms in the House (2009-2013) and will have been in the Senate for about 8 years. He also doesn't have the stigma of being a coastal liberal.

The main drawback of Heinrich in the primary is that he had an A rating from the NRA at one point. Even Sanders has a D-, and it was a major issue for him.

But otherwise, yeah, I think he might be our best bet actually.
Kylar
Rookie
United States

« Reply #398 on: November 26, 2016, 04:23:09 PM »

In my humble opinion, as a former County Chair for Ted Cruz I am going to make my statement on this whole thing:
for the Republicans Trump will run for reelection with Pence at his side, nothing will change there.
Democrats...
Sherrod Brown-Maybe, but he'll be 68 years old, need someone younger I say, but he'll likely run
Cory Booker-definitely a go for a 2020 bid, successful who knows?
Martin Heinrich-wouldn't mind it, young, smart, a possibility for sure
Amy Klobuchar-who knows? she seems indecisive
Andrew Cuomo-I rather doubt it really
Julian Castro-I hope not
Jon Tester-I would truly love, smart, moderate, decent fellow (probably other than Heinrich my favorite democrat)
Elizabeth Warren-likely going to run but how far will she get, being 71 years old?
Deval Patrick-a distinct possibility
Brian Schweitzer-possible, though not likely
Kristen Gillibrand-too much ties to Hillary, but could see her running
Martin O Malley-I think he'll try again, how well he will do? I don't know
Bill DeBlasio-please heavens no!
Kamala Harris-not likely to run until 2024
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #399 on: November 26, 2016, 05:16:46 PM »

The main drawback of Heinrich in the primary is that he had an A rating from the NRA at one point. Even Sanders has a D-, and it was a major issue for him.

But otherwise, yeah, I think he might be our best bet actually.

What he has at present is what will matter. Sanders used to have a very high rating. But it just goes to show the NRA has become another political hack group in the past 6-8 years.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies