The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:32:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 79
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread  (Read 212416 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: March 03, 2017, 10:12:11 AM »

Interesting.  According to Brown's Twitter feed, his speech will air on Facebook Live at around ~10:30am or so:

https://www.facebook.com/SenatorSherrodBrown/

It's really the first sign from Brown that he's interested, right? I think his decision will ultimately rest on what happens in Ohio in 2018.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #876 on: March 03, 2017, 10:18:51 AM »

Interesting.  According to Brown's Twitter feed, his speech will air on Facebook Live at around ~10:30am or so:

It's really the first sign from Brown that he's interested, right?

As far as I can tell, yes.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #877 on: March 03, 2017, 10:19:44 AM »

Couldn't this just be part of his reelection to the Senate?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #878 on: March 03, 2017, 10:33:41 AM »

Could be, sure.  I guess the way the article is phrased "will call on Democrats...[etc., etc.]" and the focus on Trump make it sound like he's aiming for a national audience, but I don't know.  I guess it's just a question of, if you're a Democratic Senator in a swing or lean R state who's running for reelection, and with no presidential ambitions, how much do you focus on the big picture, trying to steer the direction of Democrats nationwide, vs. how much do you focus on parochial issues?  I guess if Brown is doing more of the former, then that's *something*.  But yeah, it's not like he's calling up activists in Iowa or anything like that.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #879 on: March 03, 2017, 01:39:38 PM »

Could be, sure.  I guess the way the article is phrased "will call on Democrats...[etc., etc.]" and the focus on Trump make it sound like he's aiming for a national audience, but I don't know.  I guess it's just a question of, if you're a Democratic Senator in a swing or lean R state who's running for reelection, and with no presidential ambitions, how much do you focus on the big picture, trying to steer the direction of Democrats nationwide, vs. how much do you focus on parochial issues?  I guess if Brown is doing more of the former, then that's *something*.  But yeah, it's not like he's calling up activists in Iowa or anything like that.

Yeah, and given that developing a national profile (cf: Warren, Paul, Cruz last couple of Congresses) is a very good way to grassroots fundraise, this could just be Brown adjusting to the way the Senate is beginning to work nowadays.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #880 on: March 03, 2017, 02:06:29 PM »

Here's the video of Brown's speech:

https://www.facebook.com/SenatorSherrodBrown/videos/vb.261478257610775/261839310908003/?type=2&theater&notif_t=live_video&notif_id=1488554898347351

He is advancing a package of policy proposals to "make hard work pay off" for the working class.  But based on watching the first half or so of it, his tone is policy-oriented and not partisan.  He only mentions Trump once in the first half of the speech, and it's to say that he agrees with Trump on trade.  So I don't see anything to indicate that this is aimed at laying the groundwork for a presidential run, as opposed to reelection for his Senate seat.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #881 on: March 03, 2017, 06:41:16 PM »

Senator Richard Blumenthal accidentally refers to Senator Chris Murphy as "President Murphy".

http://www.courant.com/politics/capitol-watch/hc-blumenthal-president-chris-murphy-story.html
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #882 on: March 03, 2017, 06:42:36 PM »

Highly indicative that there have been conversations in the background, and there was semantic interference on the spot. I can certainly get behind a Murphy run.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #883 on: March 03, 2017, 10:33:40 PM »

Trump posted a video today that looks an awful lot like a 2020 campaign ad:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/837787963027144706?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #884 on: March 03, 2017, 11:38:06 PM »

The Brown speech can be anything it needs to be. Right now it can be a re-election speech but a few years from now it can be pointed at to back up his claim that he's been fighting for the working class and talking about these issues throughout his career.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #885 on: March 04, 2017, 01:14:32 PM »

Highly indicative that there have been conversations in the background, and there was semantic interference on the spot. I can certainly get behind a Murphy run.
I would too, but I don't think the country at large would due to his stance on gun control
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #886 on: March 04, 2017, 01:37:08 PM »

I don't know.  As the story says, Blumenthal had just been talking about Trump, so having a mental mixup and saying "president" might not mean anything larger.

That said, Murphy has definitely shot up recently in my own rankings of who is most likely to run on the Dem. side.  He might even be in the top 10.  The fact that he both campaigned for Clinton in early '16 for the NH primary, and then went back there in the fall to campaign for both Clinton and Hassan was at least...something.  He seemed to throw cold water on that with his December statement that he "wouldn't consider" running for prez, but his supposed denials since them have been more vague, so he's back up on the list, IMHO.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #887 on: March 04, 2017, 07:33:01 PM »

I don't know.  As the story says, Blumenthal had just been talking about Trump, so having a mental mixup and saying "president" might not mean anything larger.

That said, Murphy has definitely shot up recently in my own rankings of who is most likely to run on the Dem. side.  He might even be in the top 10.  The fact that he both campaigned for Clinton in early '16 for the NH primary, and then went back there in the fall to campaign for both Clinton and Hassan was at least...something.  He seemed to throw cold water on that with his December statement that he "wouldn't consider" running for prez, but his supposed denials since them have been more vague, so he's back up on the list, IMHO.

I don't think Ds need a champion of gun control to win back the Midwest right now, nobody talks about how far left Hillary went on guns and how that may contributed to the further loss in WWC voters. Gun control was never a central theme in either of Obama's two runs.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #888 on: March 04, 2017, 10:37:16 PM »

While participating in a panel at the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference at MIT, Nate Silver asked Mark Cuban a few questions, including whether he is going to run for president:

https://twitter.com/scott_stinson/status/838064832809156608
https://twitter.com/scott_stinson/status/838065134954229765
https://twitter.com/scott_stinson/status/838065368295960576
https://twitter.com/scott_stinson/status/838065791564140546

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Meanwhile, in the Sunday morning talk show watch, Al Franken will be on ABC’s “This Week” tomorrow morning:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NEWS_SHOWS?SITE=AP

Also, Cuomo will meet with Netanyahu during his Israel trip on Sunday:

http://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2017/03/cuomo-will-meet-netanyahu-during-israel-trip-110077
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #889 on: March 05, 2017, 12:16:11 AM »

I don't think Ds need a champion of gun control to win back the Midwest right now, nobody talks about how far left Hillary went on guns and how that may contributed to the further loss in WWC voters. Gun control was never a central theme in either of Obama's two runs.
Exactly. Even though I love Murphy I don't think he could win Ohio or Florida or North Carolina, and may lose PA, WI and MI again.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #890 on: March 05, 2017, 10:12:58 AM »

People always talk about Murphy here like he's a one issue Senator (gun control), when he's been focusing on a large variety of issues including but not limited to healthcare, Russia, immigration, and education. He's most widely known for his stances on gun control because Sandy Hook happened just after he was elected to the Senate.

Also, having worked for Blumenthal's office I have the sense that this is was just a casual slip up on Blumenthal's part. I wouldn't read anything into it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #891 on: March 05, 2017, 10:48:20 AM »

Cuomo at the Holocaust Memorial in Jerusalem today shaking hands with Israeli president Reuven Rivlin:

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #892 on: March 05, 2017, 06:24:02 PM »

People always talk about Murphy here like he's a one issue Senator (gun control), when he's been focusing on a large variety of issues including but not limited to healthcare, Russia, immigration, and education. He's most widely known for his stances on gun control because Sandy Hook happened just after he was elected to the Senate.

Also, having worked for Blumenthal's office I have the sense that this is was just a casual slip up on Blumenthal's part. I wouldn't read anything into it.

He got on people's radar because of gun control, otherwise he would just be another backbencher. Just like Wendy Davis there were a lot of things other than abortion but people focused on that because of the filibuster.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #893 on: March 06, 2017, 02:29:19 PM »

Cuomo at the Holocaust Memorial in Jerusalem today shaking hands with Israeli president Reuven Rivlin:

I mean everyone knows Cuomo is gonna run, right?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #894 on: March 06, 2017, 11:19:44 PM »

While he's a longshot to run for president again in 2020, Lindsey Graham is on my watch list simply because he was #NeverTrump last year, he's run for president before, unlike McCain he's not going to be too old, and he's continued to air some criticisms of Trump since the election.  Anyway, I thought it was notable that today Graham came out in support of Trump's revised travel order.  Also, he's meeting with Trump for lunch tomorrow:

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/it-s-a-date-lindsey-graham-to-lunch-with-president/article_479a4c52-02c6-11e7-95f9-cbd4f886db55.html
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #895 on: March 07, 2017, 11:08:11 AM »

I mean everyone knows Cuomo is gonna run, right?

Cuomo's running for a cabinet position
I don't think he's talented enough for a prominent cabinet position too be honest.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #896 on: March 07, 2017, 02:26:10 PM »

Here’s the transcript of this conversation:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nate-silver-and-mark-cuban-talk-a-lot-of-politics-and-a-little-basketball/

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #897 on: March 08, 2017, 06:10:48 AM »

Big news on the Dem. tea leaves front: We have our first cattle call of the 2020 primary season, and it's a big one.  The Center for American Progress is putting on a Democratic version of CPAC, in the form of its "Ideas Conference".  It'll be held on May 16th, and it's attracting many of the likely 2020 Dems to attend:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/democratic-party-realignment-cpac-235806

The confirmed speakers so far:

Booker
Bullock
Garcetti
Gillibrand
Harris
Murphy
Warren

But more are expected to join the list.  In any case, all of those folks now get bumped up a couple of points on my "likelihood to run" meter.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #898 on: March 08, 2017, 06:16:09 AM »

Somebody better drag Brown there
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #899 on: March 08, 2017, 09:25:02 AM »

Big news on the Dem. tea leaves front: We have our first cattle call of the 2020 primary season, and it's a big one.  The Center for American Progress is putting on a Democratic version of CPAC, in the form of its "Ideas Conference".  It'll be held on May 16th, and it's attracting many of the likely 2020 Dems to attend:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/democratic-party-realignment-cpac-235806

The confirmed speakers so far:

Booker
Bullock
Garcetti
Gillibrand
Harris
Murphy
Warren

But more are expected to join the list.  In any case, all of those folks now get bumped up a couple of points on my "likelihood to run" meter.

You know this is the second DNC retreat that Bullock is going too. Seems like he might be building in-party ties for a presidential run
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies