Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2018, 11:08:45 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, TJ in Oregon, Virginiá)
| | |-+  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 79 Print
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread  (Read 128644 times)
Kamala
YaBB God
Madagascar

View Profile Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: July 21, 2017, 02:41:08 pm »

Guys... both Maggie Hassan and Kusty go to New Hampshire quite frequently... are they planning something in 2020???!?

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1601 on: July 21, 2017, 02:53:44 pm »

Here is this week’s #2020Vision column:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/21/politics/2020-vision-kamala-harris-criminal-justice/index.html

A couple of highlights....first, another Kamala Harris meeting w/ big $ donors this coming weekend:

Speaking of Harris: She's increasingly drawing attention from Democratic donors, and is making the rounds with those donors — including a trip to the Hamptons this weekend that includes a meeting with Harvey Weinstein, an event hosted by Michael Kempner and more.

Second, more Bullock tea leaves:

Montana Gov. Steve Bullock has hired a new chief of staff: Tom Lopach, who was the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee's executive director in the 2016 cycle. It's a homecoming for the Montana-born Lopach, who previously was Sen. Jon Tester's chief of staff. Still, Democrats nationally are taking notice of Bullock bringing aboard a seasoned veteran strategist.

Other tidbits:

-Warren will be speaking at Netroots Nation (“the massive gathering of progressives set for August 10-13 in Atlanta”).

-Booker and Harris will both be participating at a panel discussion at the NAACP convention in Baltimore on Monday.

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

What is your opinion of this thread?

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
I Know My State.
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

P

« Reply #1602 on: July 21, 2017, 04:39:45 pm »

Guys... both Maggie Hassan and Kusty go to New Hampshire quite frequently... are they planning something in 2020???!?
#Shaheen20
NewYorkExpress
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1603 on: July 21, 2017, 05:19:17 pm »

They represent New Hampshire, so of course they go to New Hampshire...therefore that joke is idiotic.

R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.96

« Reply #1604 on: July 21, 2017, 05:31:35 pm »

They represent New Hampshire, so of course they go to New Hampshire...therefore that joke is idiotic.

Wow, you must be fun at parties.

Steve Bullock 2020.

Listen to Silent Planet.
Parrotguy
Wyman
YaBB God
Israel

« Reply #1605 on: July 21, 2017, 06:26:59 pm »

I know it's not really a tea leaf, but apparently the people of Cambridge, Massachusetts are already running Warren for President Tongue

NewYorkExpress
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1606 on: July 21, 2017, 06:45:49 pm »

I know it's not really a tea leaf, but apparently the people of Cambridge, Massachusetts are already running Warren for President Tongue

It'll look really stupid if she doesn't run...but she's totally running.

R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1607 on: July 21, 2017, 08:20:58 pm »

Steve Bullock 2020.

Listen to Silent Planet.
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1608 on: July 22, 2017, 10:45:26 am »

Sunday morning talk show watch: Al Franken and Rand Paul will both be on "State of the Union" tomorrow:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NEWS_SHOWS?SITE=AP

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Shameless Bernie Hack
Chickenhawk
YaBB God

« Reply #1609 on: July 22, 2017, 08:05:28 pm »

Greg Abbott just posted a link on his Facebook page to an article about him governing like a guy who wants to be president in 2024.
link?

Why weep or slumber, America?

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." ~Sen Barry Goldwater
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1610 on: July 22, 2017, 09:28:31 pm »

Latest Mark Cuban comments:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2017/07/22/mark-cuban-vs-trump-in2020-lasts-4-years-kick

In his appearance at New York's "OZY Fest," Cuban discussed challenging the president.

"If he lasts four years, I'll be there to kick his a**," Cuban said Saturday, before backpedaling a bit. "We'll see. I'm not making any proclamations yet."
Cuban did not rule out a direct challenge to the Trump administration. "I've got a lot of time to decide and we'll see what happens," he said. But he said it's never been his dream to run for president or pursue politics.

RFKFan68
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1611 on: July 22, 2017, 10:12:54 pm »

Go away Cuban. *massive eye roll*

Kamala
YaBB God
Madagascar

« Reply #1612 on: July 22, 2017, 10:14:45 pm »

Go away Cuban. *massive eye roll*

This applies both to Mark and Cruz.

kyc0705
YaBB God

« Reply #1613 on: July 23, 2017, 08:02:27 am »

I can't wait to hear your take on other jokes:
"He would only have to say 'The name of the player on first base is Who'... therefore that joke is idiotic."
"Of course the chicken has to cross the road to get to the other side... therefore that joke is idiotic."
"I have a doorbell, so you wouldn't have to say 'knock, knock' if you were at my house... therefore that joke is idiotic."
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1614 on: July 23, 2017, 10:17:38 am »

The Hill: Sanders keeping door open on 2020

“Yes, is the answer,” said one Sanders associate who helped with the senator’s previous bid, in response to a question about whether the Independent senator from Vermont had begun to think about another run.

“He thinks he's earned the right to run again and he believes if he would have been the [Democratic] candidate he would have won against Trump.”

The source also suggested that Sanders is making his plans with other candidates in mind.

“The last thing he's going to do is step aside and let Joe Biden take it,” the Sanders associate said.

Steve Bullock 2020.

Listen to Silent Planet.
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1615 on: July 23, 2017, 11:40:06 am »

Both Biden and Gillibrand were at OZY fest yesterday, and both were interviewed by Katie Couric, with questions about 2020:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/343321-biden-deflects-questions-about-2020-run-at-ozy-fest

Later on during the event, Couric asked the former vice president whether he would run for president in 2020.

"My focus now, our focus now, is to get a Democratic Congress elected in 2018," Biden responded to cheers.

Biden continued, saying that younger leaders in the Democratic Party needed to step up and lead in the age of Trump.

"There's a lot of talent in the Democratic Party," Biden said. "My hope and expectation is that some of the younger folks are going to come up and fill the void."

"But if they don't," he added, jokingly, "Jill's running."

I can’t find a word for word transcript of Couric’s interview with Gillibrand, but according to this, she deflected the question (which would be a reversal from her pretend “ruling it out” a couple of months ago):

http://www.ozy.com/politics-and-power/where-gillibrand-draws-the-line-on-impeaching-trump/79867

The question of the Democratic Party’s future hovered in the air, in part because many forecast Gillibrand as one of the party’s standard-bearers in 2020. While she refused to talk about a potential presidential run, she did push back against the idea that progressive politicians like Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren were steering the party in an untenable direction. “President Trump ran on the [platform that] the system is rigged, which is Liz Warren’s message, and no bad trade deals, which was Bernie Sanders’ message,” she argued.

Meanwhile, Rep. Suozzi opines on Cuomo and Gillibrand:

http://pagesix.com/2017/07/22/congressman-says-cuomo-is-definitely-running-for-president/

Asked on the “Bill Press Show” for his thoughts on the 2020 White House race, Suozzi said that Gov. Andrew Cuomo — who is gearing up for the 2018 gubernatorial election — “is definitely running for president of the United States of America, I think.”

Suozzi, the rep for New York’s 3rd district on Long Island, added, “That’s just his DNA . . . He’s a political genius. He’s not an easy person to deal with one-on-one, personally.”

But he said that Cuomo is “very good at working the system, so to speak.” Meanwhile, he commented of another hot contender for the Democratic ticket, New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, “she’s not in New York that much,” but he added, “she’s very smart.”
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 12:28:28 pm by Mr. Morden »Logged

NewYorkExpress
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1616 on: July 23, 2017, 12:11:09 pm »

I can't wait to hear your take on other jokes:
"He would only have to say 'The name of the player on first base is Who'... therefore that joke is idiotic."
"Of course the chicken has to cross the road to get to the other side... therefore that joke is idiotic."
"I have a doorbell, so you wouldn't have to say 'knock, knock' if you were at my house... therefore that joke is idiotic."

Actually, I like the "Who's on first" gag, and the chicken crossing the road joke. Knock-knock jokes are idiotic though.

The Saint
TheSaint250
YaBB God

P P
« Reply #1617 on: July 23, 2017, 12:13:58 pm »

Both Biden and Gillibrand were at OZY fest yesterday, and both were interviewed by Katie Couric, with questions about 2020:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/343321-biden-deflects-questions-about-2020-run-at-ozy-fest

Later on during the event, Couric asked the former vice president whether he would run for president in 2020. 

"My focus now, our focus now, is to get a Democratic Congress elected in 2018," Biden responded to cheers.

Biden continued, saying that younger leaders in the Democratic Party needed to step up and lead in the age of Trump.

"There's a lot of talent in the Democratic Party," Biden said. "My hope and expectation is that some of the younger folks are going to come up and fill the void."

"But if they don't," he added, jokingly, "Jill's running."

I can’t find a word for word transcript of Couric’s interview with Gillibrand, but according to this, she deflected the question (which would be a reversal from her pretend “ruling it out” a couple of months ago):

http://www.ozy.com/politics-and-power/where-gillibrand-draws-the-line-on-impeaching-trump/79867

The question of the Democratic Party’s future hovered in the air, in part because many forecast Gillibrand as one of the party’s standard-bearers in 2020. While she refused to talk about a potential presidential run, she did push back against the idea that progressive politicians like Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren were steering the party in an untenable direction. “President Trump ran on the [platform that] the system is rigged, which is Liz Warren’s message, and no bad trade deals, which was Bernie Sanders’ message,” she argued.

Meanwhile, Rep. Suozzi opines on Cuomo and Gillibrand:

http://pagesix.com/2017/07/22/congressman-says-cuomo-is-definitely-running-for-president/

Asked on the “Bill Press Show” for his thoughts on the 2020 White House race, Suozzi said that Gov. Andrew Cuomo — who is gearing up for the 2018 gubernatorial election — “is definitely running for president of the United States of America, I think.”

Suozzi, the rep for New York’s 3rd district on Long Island, added, “That’s just his DNA . . . He’s a political genius. He’s not an easy person to deal with one-on-one, personally.”

But he said that Cuomo is “very good at working the system, so to speak.” Meanwhile, he commented of another hot contender for the Democratic ticket, New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, “she’s not in New York that much,” but he added, “she’s very smart.”

lol I love that. He's definitely running I think

Blessed to live in such a great state. We may be Democrats, Republicans, or neither, but more importantly, we are all Floridians.
foxh8er
« Reply #1618 on: July 23, 2017, 06:32:46 pm »

I've become more and more convinced that Zuckerberg could be one to watch - he's been fleshing out a pretty interesting political message over the last few months that's bolder than anything the Democrats have discussed.

The derision against Zuck is pretty identical to the derision against Trump among conservative intellectual circles in 2014 and 2015 - I think it's impossible to rule out completely.
JMT
YaBB God

« Reply #1619 on: July 23, 2017, 10:57:21 pm »

The Hill: Sanders keeping door open on 2020

“Yes, is the answer,” said one Sanders associate who helped with the senator’s previous bid, in response to a question about whether the Independent senator from Vermont had begun to think about another run.

“He thinks he's earned the right to run again and he believes if he would have been the [Democratic] candidate he would have won against Trump.”

The source also suggested that Sanders is making his plans with other candidates in mind.

“The last thing he's going to do is step aside and let Joe Biden take it,” the Sanders associate said.

As someone who voted for Bernie in the 2016 primary, I hope he doesn't run again. Democrats will continue to lose if there's a constant "Hillary Democrat" vs "Bernie Democrat" divide. Clearly the 2016 election was a disaster for Democrats, and we need to move on from it and not run the same people in 2020 that we did in 2016.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1620 on: July 23, 2017, 11:00:37 pm »

As someone who voted for Bernie in the 2016 primary, I hope he doesn't run again. Democrats will continue to lose if there's a constant "Hillary Democrat" vs "Bernie Democrat" divide. Clearly the 2016 election was a disaster for Democrats, and we need to move on from it and not run the same people in 2020 that we did in 2016.

That didn't stop the Republicans from winning in 1980.

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1621 on: July 24, 2017, 08:53:55 am »

WaPo has a new story on Sherrod Brown in which he’s asked about running for prez in 2020, and he says “I just don’t want to do it”:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/sherrod-brown-thinks-he-could-have-helped-democrats-win-in-2016-but-what-about-2020/2017/07/23/168ac16c-6b2d-11e7-b9e2-2056e768a7e5_story.html?utm_term=.f5c85a999a39

“I come from here, I know how to win elections here — I get all that,” Brown said. “But I just don’t want to do it.”

In other words, Sherrod Brown will never want to run for president. Unless, of course, one day, he does.

The story also includes a lot of discussion about Brown’s participation in the veepstakes last year.  Despite his current denial of interest in running for prez, he says that he “relished” the idea of campaigning in other Midwestern states, had he been the VP nominee last year:

He relished the idea of campaigning in the Midwest, he says now, and offered to live out of a bus that would spend all its time in Western Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa.

Three days before the selection he heard from “someone who knows this process” that it was down to him and Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia. Later, after Kaine was unveiled as the No. 2, Brown says he heard from a former high-ranking Democratic official that Clinton had initially picked him but changed her mind.

R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1622 on: July 24, 2017, 09:15:00 am »

That story made me love Sherrod Brown even more than I already did. He'd make a great Vice President.

Steve Bullock 2020.

Listen to Silent Planet.
Kringla Heimsins
France

« Reply #1623 on: July 24, 2017, 12:29:42 pm »

WaPo has a new story on Sherrod Brown in which he’s asked about running for prez in 2020, and he says “I just don’t want to do it”:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/sherrod-brown-thinks-he-could-have-helped-democrats-win-in-2016-but-what-about-2020/2017/07/23/168ac16c-6b2d-11e7-b9e2-2056e768a7e5_story.html?utm_term=.f5c85a999a39

“I come from here, I know how to win elections here — I get all that,” Brown said. “But I just don’t want to do it.”

In other words, Sherrod Brown will never want to run for president. Unless, of course, one day, he does.

The story also includes a lot of discussion about Brown’s participation in the veepstakes last year.  Despite his current denial of interest in running for prez, he says that he “relished” the idea of campaigning in other Midwestern states, had he been the VP nominee last year:

He relished the idea of campaigning in the Midwest, he says now, and offered to live out of a bus that would spend all its time in Western Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa.

Three days before the selection he heard from “someone who knows this process” that it was down to him and Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia. Later, after Kaine was unveiled as the No. 2, Brown says he heard from a former high-ranking Democratic official that Clinton had initially picked him but changed her mind.

I'm glad it has confirmed that Sherrod Brown isn't currently dying from a stage IV throat cancer.

Also, I'm totally on the Sherrod 2020 train now.

kyc0705
YaBB God

« Reply #1624 on: July 24, 2017, 01:00:36 pm »

I'm glad it has confirmed that Sherrod Brown isn't currently dying from a stage IV throat cancer.

Also, I'm totally on the Sherrod 2020 train now.

Every time I hear Sherrod Brown speak, I always remember how good he was as Freddy Krueger in the Nightmare on Elm Street movies.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 79 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout