Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 13, 2017, 06:10:11 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: AndrewTX, Likely Voter, TJ in Wisco)
| | |-+  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 80 Print
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread  (Read 118087 times)
GM R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.13

View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: July 24, 2017, 09:15:00 am »
Ignore

That story made me love Sherrod Brown even more than I already did. He'd make a great Vice President.

Early 2000s Metalcore is back
Kringla Heimsins
France

View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: July 24, 2017, 12:29:42 pm »
Ignore

WaPo has a new story on Sherrod Brown in which he’s asked about running for prez in 2020, and he says “I just don’t want to do it”:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/sherrod-brown-thinks-he-could-have-helped-democrats-win-in-2016-but-what-about-2020/2017/07/23/168ac16c-6b2d-11e7-b9e2-2056e768a7e5_story.html?utm_term=.f5c85a999a39

“I come from here, I know how to win elections here — I get all that,” Brown said. “But I just don’t want to do it.”

In other words, Sherrod Brown will never want to run for president. Unless, of course, one day, he does.

The story also includes a lot of discussion about Brown’s participation in the veepstakes last year.  Despite his current denial of interest in running for prez, he says that he “relished” the idea of campaigning in other Midwestern states, had he been the VP nominee last year:

He relished the idea of campaigning in the Midwest, he says now, and offered to live out of a bus that would spend all its time in Western Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa.

Three days before the selection he heard from “someone who knows this process” that it was down to him and Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia. Later, after Kaine was unveiled as the No. 2, Brown says he heard from a former high-ranking Democratic official that Clinton had initially picked him but changed her mind.

I'm glad it has confirmed that Sherrod Brown isn't currently dying from a stage IV throat cancer.

Also, I'm totally on the Sherrod 2020 train now.

kyc0705
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: July 24, 2017, 01:00:36 pm »
Ignore

WaPo has a new story on Sherrod Brown in which he’s asked about running for prez in 2020, and he says “I just don’t want to do it”:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/sherrod-brown-thinks-he-could-have-helped-democrats-win-in-2016-but-what-about-2020/2017/07/23/168ac16c-6b2d-11e7-b9e2-2056e768a7e5_story.html?utm_term=.f5c85a999a39

“I come from here, I know how to win elections here — I get all that,” Brown said. “But I just don’t want to do it.”

In other words, Sherrod Brown will never want to run for president. Unless, of course, one day, he does.

The story also includes a lot of discussion about Brown’s participation in the veepstakes last year.  Despite his current denial of interest in running for prez, he says that he “relished” the idea of campaigning in other Midwestern states, had he been the VP nominee last year:

He relished the idea of campaigning in the Midwest, he says now, and offered to live out of a bus that would spend all its time in Western Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa.

Three days before the selection he heard from “someone who knows this process” that it was down to him and Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia. Later, after Kaine was unveiled as the No. 2, Brown says he heard from a former high-ranking Democratic official that Clinton had initially picked him but changed her mind.

I'm glad it has confirmed that Sherrod Brown isn't currently dying from a stage IV throat cancer.

Also, I'm totally on the Sherrod 2020 train now.

Every time I hear Sherrod Brown speak, I always remember how good he was as Freddy Krueger in the Nightmare on Elm Street movies.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: July 24, 2017, 09:42:58 pm »
Ignore

Back to the Hamptons for Harris, and she's hiring a lot of Hillary staffers. *vomits*

An anonymous Democratic donor told The Hill that Harris is “absolutely going to run” in 2020. Another source told Page Six,“She’s on overdrive. It’s not just about the money…That’s the easy part for her. She wants to meet the influential.”

In addition to courting donors, Harris has hired several former Clinton staffers. Hillary For America Regional Director Sergio Gonzales joined Harris’ Washington, D.C., office in March 2017. Lily Adams, who served as the DNC’s deputy communications director before joining the Clinton campaign in Iowa in 2015, now serves as Harris’ communications director. Harris’ Deputy Press Secretary Kate Waters also worked for the Clinton campaign. Harris’ hiring indicates that she hopes to stack her staff with people who have experience working on presidential campaigns.

http://observer.com/2017/07/clinton-staff-donors-kamala-harris-2020/

Castro
Castro2020
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: July 24, 2017, 09:48:52 pm »
Ignore

Brown's chances of being the VP pick go way up if a Democrat wins the OH Gov race next year.
Kamala, FM
Kamala
YaBB God
Madagascar

View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: July 24, 2017, 09:51:31 pm »
Ignore

Brown's chances of being the VP pick go way up if a Democrat wins the OH Gov race next year.
Especially since the governor would most likely appoint Tim Ryan, who would be best suited to hold the seat for a significant time rather than simply a temporary, half-term occupant.

President Kirsten Elizabeth Gillibrand when?
Possiblymaybe
View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: July 25, 2017, 06:06:41 am »
Ignore

Bernie speaks at the NAACP national convention

The speech came as Sanders continues to be one of the most active potential Democratic candidates ahead of the 2020 election. In his 2016 run for the presidency, Sanders struggled to compete for African-American votes with eventual Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/24/politics/bernie-sanders-naacp-speech/index.html

Kamala Harris and Tammy Duckworth also spoke, The NAACP endorsed Harris recent bail reform bill.

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: July 25, 2017, 07:56:09 am »
Ignore

Latest from Mitch Landrieu:

http://www.wdsu.com/article/landrieu-still-has-no-presidential-plans-calls-on-nation-to-support-trump/10352797

He told Axelrod that he still has no plans to run for president, but isn't ruling it out.

"You'd never rule out running (for) anything, you never say never about anything, but I'm not running," he said.

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

What is your opinion of this thread?

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: July 25, 2017, 01:17:26 pm »
Ignore

Harris teaming up with Rand on a criminal justice bill.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." - H.L. Mencken
Pollster

View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: July 25, 2017, 08:21:52 pm »
Ignore

The Brown piece makes Tim Ryan's decision to remain in the House much more understandable - if Brown is elected nationwide in 2020 he gets the Senate appointment, and if Brown isn't on the ticket/loses nationwide then he challenges Portman in a Trump six-year midterm in 2022.

Recovering professional pollster and analyst. Taking some time off.
Shameless Bernie Hack
Chickenhawk
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: July 26, 2017, 02:15:12 am »
Ignore

The Brown piece makes Tim Ryan's decision to remain in the House much more understandable - if Brown is elected nationwide in 2020 he gets the Senate appointment, and if Brown isn't on the ticket/loses nationwide then he challenges Portman in a Trump six-year midterm in 2022.

Or he's a young guy in a safe seat on the right side of a massive generational bottleneck in the House...

I don't see why anything in that piece indicates a Brown 2020 run any more than any of the various other pieces on Brown have. He's a nice guy, he has the right bio if he wants to do it.

But he doesn't want to do it. He's never wanted to do it. We could pretty transparently *see * if he wanted to do it (he'd pop up in this thread a lot more, that's for sure), and he's not doing any of the things that would indicate he wants to.

He doesn't want to do it.

Why weep or slumber, America?

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." ~Sen Barry Goldwater
Bull Moose Base
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: July 26, 2017, 09:54:26 am »
Ignore

Or he's a young guy in a safe seat on the right side of a massive generational bottleneck in the House...

I don't see why anything in that piece indicates a Brown 2020 run any more than any of the various other pieces on Brown have. He's a nice guy, he has the right bio if he wants to do it.

But he doesn't want to do it. He's never wanted to do it. We could pretty transparently *see * if he wanted to do it (he'd pop up in this thread a lot more, that's for sure), and he's not doing any of the things that would indicate he wants to.

I mostly agree but he's candid about wanting the VP job once he was a finalist and about regretting not being able to campaign across the Midwest. That doesn't mean he's insincere now when he expresses a lack of desire to run for president. But presumably, if he's re-elected in one of the handful of states Democrats need to flip to take back the White House, the buzz about him running will grow and possibly affect him a way similar to being in VP contention did.

As for Tim Ryan, sounds like he may be eyeing running in 2020 himself and being elected governor in 2018 is too fast to turn around and run for president. (At least, it has been for a few decades.)
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: July 26, 2017, 02:53:46 pm »
Ignore

Klobuchar heading to Los Angeles for a fundraiser with Hollywood bigwigs:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-sen-klobuchar-to-fundraise-among-1501033609-htmlstory.html

Amid speculation about a potential future presidential bid, Democratic Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota is headlining a Los Angeles fundraiser for her reelection campaign on Sunday.

Donors are being asked to contribute up to $5,400 to attend the afternoon reception at the Brentwood home of Andy Spahn, an advisor to some of the entertainment industry’s biggest political contributors, and his wife, Jennifer Perry.

Paul Begala and James Carville, former top advisors to President Bill Clinton, are billed as special guests.

Hosts include Hollywood titan Jeffrey Katzenberg, director J.J. Abrams, “Lost” co-creator Damon Lindelof, Universal Film Chairman Jeff Shell, and producers Paul Junger Witt and Susan Harris.

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: July 27, 2017, 02:04:24 pm »
Ignore

Hillary Clinton's new book is coming out in September, and it now has a title:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/7/27/16050224/hillary-clinton-memoir-title-what-happened

In an excerpt from the intro, Clinton writes: “In the past, for reasons I try to explain, I’ve often felt I had to be careful in public, like I was up on a wire without a net. Now I’m letting my guard down.”

The press release states that Clinton will discuss “the challenges of being a strong woman in the public eye, the criticism over her voice, age, and appearance, and the double standard confronting women in politics.”

The memoir will reportedly take readers “inside the intense personal experience of becoming the first woman nominated for president by a major party” in an election ultimately “marked by rage, sexism, exhilarating highs and infuriating lows, stranger-than-fiction twists, Russian interference, and an opponent who broke all the rules.”

BuckeyeNut
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: July 27, 2017, 02:18:01 pm »
Ignore

I mostly agree but he's candid about wanting the VP job once he was a finalist and about regretting not being able to campaign across the Midwest. That doesn't mean he's insincere now when he expresses a lack of desire to run for president. But presumably, if he's re-elected in one of the handful of states Democrats need to flip to take back the White House, the buzz about him running will grow and possibly affect him a way similar to being in VP contention did.

As for Tim Ryan, sounds like he may be eyeing running in 2020 himself and being elected governor in 2018 is too fast to turn around and run for president. (At least, it has been for a few decades.)

Nah, Ryan wants to be Speaker.

I am also thoroughly unconvinced Hillary putting out a new book means she's looking to run.

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. - President Dwight D. Eisenhower
Shameless Bernie Hack
Chickenhawk
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: July 27, 2017, 02:21:03 pm »
Ignore

I am also thoroughly unconvinced Hillary putting out a new book means she's looking to run.

Agreed, but I really wish that the Clintons would take the hint and retire from public life.

Why weep or slumber, America?

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." ~Sen Barry Goldwater
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: July 27, 2017, 02:22:19 pm »
Ignore

I'm actually looking at it the other way around.  The press release promises that she's going to be "candid" this time.  If she really does let it rip and says what's on her mind regardless of the political implications, then I'd take that as a sign that she's ruled out a 2020 run.  But it's too early to know if she's actually doing that, or if saying that is just a marketing tactic.  We'll have to wait to see the contents of the book to find out.

Santander
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 5.39

View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: July 27, 2017, 02:24:42 pm »
Ignore

So she still can't take responsibility for her faults?

Oppo

View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: July 27, 2017, 03:12:57 pm »
Ignore

Bullock is on NPR talking about his opposition to the "skinny repeal."
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: July 27, 2017, 03:25:06 pm »
Ignore

Rep. John Delaney is reportedly thinking about running for president:

http://www.bethesdamagazine.com/Bethesda-Beat/2017/Delaney-Plans-To-Announce-Decision-This-Weekend-on-Political-Future/

Rep. John Delaney is planning to announce his future political plans this weekend and it is appearing less likely he’ll seek re-election to his District 6 seat in 2018.

Delaney spokesman Will McDonald said in an email to Bethesda Beat on Wednesday evening that Delaney will reveal his plans “unless health care votes necessitate a change.”

A source with knowledge of Delaney’s plans, who declined to be identified, told Bethesda Beat earlier this week that Delaney plans to announce he will run for the Democratic nomination for president in 2020 and will reveal his plans in an op-ed in The Washington Post this weekend.
Delaney did not deny the possibility of a presidential run when asked directly about it earlier this month at a Rockville forum on President Donald Trump’s federal budget proposal. “I think the comments I’ve made are all the comments I’ve made at this point,” he said.  However, Delaney has not made any clear comments about potential presidential plans, other than his spokesman denying he had opened an office in Iowa in May and saying he wasn’t actively running for president.

He's potentially going to announce for president this weekend?!?  Sheesh.

Also:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/27/john-delaney-2020-president-241044

Rep. John Delaney (D-Md.) plans on bypassing runs for governor and reelection and has told associates he is seriously considering a bid for president in 2020, according to two Democratic sources.

Five Democratic sources in the state said buzz about Delaney's intentions for 2018 and 2020 has been building for weeks, with increasing chatter about a presidential bid. Delaney, who could self-fund a run for governor, will skip a challenge against popular GOP Gov. Larry Hogan. He will also leave Democrats to defend his district, which he nearly lost in 2014. Democrats in the state believe he will announce his plans in a Washington Post op-ed on Friday.

Horsemask
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 0.52

View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: July 27, 2017, 04:18:01 pm »
Ignore

Rep. John Delaney is reportedly thinking about running for president:

http://www.bethesdamagazine.com/Bethesda-Beat/2017/Delaney-Plans-To-Announce-Decision-This-Weekend-on-Political-Future/

Rep. John Delaney is planning to announce his future political plans this weekend and it is appearing less likely he’ll seek re-election to his District 6 seat in 2018.

Delaney spokesman Will McDonald said in an email to Bethesda Beat on Wednesday evening that Delaney will reveal his plans “unless health care votes necessitate a change.”

A source with knowledge of Delaney’s plans, who declined to be identified, told Bethesda Beat earlier this week that Delaney plans to announce he will run for the Democratic nomination for president in 2020 and will reveal his plans in an op-ed in The Washington Post this weekend.
Delaney did not deny the possibility of a presidential run when asked directly about it earlier this month at a Rockville forum on President Donald Trump’s federal budget proposal. “I think the comments I’ve made are all the comments I’ve made at this point,” he said.  However, Delaney has not made any clear comments about potential presidential plans, other than his spokesman denying he had opened an office in Iowa in May and saying he wasn’t actively running for president.

He's potentially going to announce for president this weekend?!?  Sheesh.

Also:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/27/john-delaney-2020-president-241044

Rep. John Delaney (D-Md.) plans on bypassing runs for governor and reelection and has told associates he is seriously considering a bid for president in 2020, according to two Democratic sources.

Five Democratic sources in the state said buzz about Delaney's intentions for 2018 and 2020 has been building for weeks, with increasing chatter about a presidential bid. Delaney, who could self-fund a run for governor, will skip a challenge against popular GOP Gov. Larry Hogan. He will also leave Democrats to defend his district, which he nearly lost in 2014. Democrats in the state believe he will announce his plans in a Washington Post op-ed on Friday.

Interesting...will definitely have to be on the lookout for his op-ed

Fmr. Acting Southern Del. The Saint
TheSaint250
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: July 27, 2017, 10:02:13 pm »
Ignore

Cory Booker is debating in the Senate as if he is running for POTUS.

Moderate Republican. No to Trump. No to Moore.

Endorsements:

Governor: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=266044.0
Senate: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=258431.25
President: Mark Cuban (I)
Liberalrocks
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: July 27, 2017, 10:11:37 pm »
Ignore

So she still can't take responsibility for her faults?

She does own responsibility in the book, there were a number of factors including her mistakes that lead to her defeat and will be addressed.

I'm actually looking at it the other way around.  The press release promises that she's going to be "candid" this time.  If she really does let it rip and says what's on her mind regardless of the political implications, then I'd take that as a sign that she's ruled out a 2020 run.  But it's too early to know if she's actually doing that, or if saying that is just a marketing tactic.  We'll have to wait to see the contents of the book to find out.

I would hope for both to occur, its just too early to rule anything out or be sure.

beautiful Harry Teague!
politicalmasta73
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: July 27, 2017, 10:27:55 pm »
Ignore

no no non onononononnoon

James Howard

My Political Compass

Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.36

Favorite Republican- John Kasich
Favorite Democrat-Bernie Sanders
Favorite Presidents-LBJ,FDR,JFK
Favorite President who never was-Al Gore

(img)https://howold.co/uploads/person/150/150/harry-teague.jpg(/img)
House Majority Leader Haslam2020
Haslam2020
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: July 27, 2017, 11:53:41 pm »
Ignore

Was just about to report on Delaney but dang...

Senator-elect. House Majority Leader (1st, 7th, 8th, 9th Congress) Former Representative (1st, 7th, 8th, 9th Congress), former Candidate for Southern Governor, former Speaker of the Old Southern Assembly, former Old South Assemblyman, current Guitar store owner.

-

Kasich or Sanders 2020
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 80 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout