The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:36:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread  (Read 214089 times)
coloradocowboi
United States

« on: November 13, 2016, 01:49:00 PM »

If he survives what could be a tough Senate election...Joe Manchin??

No way he would be nominated.
This.  The Dems are too SJW now to nominate a white Southern man who would already be in his 70s when primary season starts.

It is not even that. He is old. We need to stop nominating old people and rebuild our bench. PERIOD.
And he's owned by fossil fuels. We didn't lose this election by not being moderate enough. We lost it because people couldn't tell the difference.

Hard to see a scenario where Democrats don't go full Corbyn in 2020. Hillary's coalition of white neoliberal elites and minorities barely stopped the left in 2016 (helped by collusion and cheating). Who can replicate that in 2020? Cory Booker maybe?

And those same groups didn't turn out for HRC. Makes me wonder whether her "coalition" in the primary was really just older African Americans and Hispanics, corporate Dems, and women and LGBTQ folks (like myself) who were too enthusiastic about her historicity to see her flaws clearly.

The data has always said that economics wins elections, and I think leftist populism that gets the WWC folks who will be inevitably disappointed by the Donald and communities of color to the polls, tinged with feminist and pro-equality rhetoric builds a much better coalition than Cory Booker's corporate PR non-message.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 03:54:42 PM »

It's not going to be Cuomo, Booker, Kaine, or any other Democrat in that mold. It's going to be someone popular with the young-uns, trust me on that.

Maybe, but good luck getting that person to win anything in the South.

That candidate wouldn't need to win the South. They'd just need to do better than Bernie there and in the Rust Belt.

I also don't get the assertion that only a "New Democrat" could win in the South. sh**tty AA turnout is what doomed us in FL and NC not lopsided defeat among moderate whites, and Hillary's appeal to the intellectual class in places like the Triangle and Tampa paid very meager dividends.

I think leftwing populism is a smart investment plan in the South, especially as homophobia and religious conservatism begins to fade across the country. The Country Club Repubs will always hold their nose and vote GOP, but we can start picking off some hillfolk again if we shed the elitist image.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 11:07:53 PM »

I feel like Booker is really gearing up for a run in 2020.

Democratic consultants everywhere are rejoicing!

But normal people won't like this guy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies