The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:59:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread  (Read 212928 times)
lisathegreek

« on: November 24, 2016, 09:36:20 PM »
« edited: November 24, 2016, 09:38:24 PM by lisathegreek »

Let's run a Southerner in 2020. Focus on turning NC, GA, and FL Democratic with potential to make the other southern states remember that there is a Democratic Party. I say forget the Midwest. If they want to vote for the Dem great, but Dems need to focus on the south. The future of the party is to build a solid bi-coastal coalition and make occasional inroads in the inland south and inland north.

Republicans had a tea party purge beginning 8 years ago and it's clear the Dems need to do the same and forget old strategies that didn't work. We need to appeal to the south.
lisathegreek

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 11:27:48 PM »

Let's run a Southerner in 2020. Focus on turning NC, GA, and FL Democratic with potential to make the other southern states remember that there is a Democratic Party. I say forget the Midwest. If they want to vote for the Dem great, but Dems need to focus on the south. The future of the party is to build a solid bi-coastal coalition and make occasional inroads in the inland south and inland north.

Republicans had a tea party purge beginning 8 years ago and it's clear the Dems need to do the same and forget old strategies that didn't work. We need to appeal to the south.

Which Southerner do we run, though?

Doesn't need to be somebody famous or nationally prominent. A mayor or state legislator would do. Whoever is young and fresh and will get democrats as excited as Barack Obama did in 2008. After criticizing Obama for lack of experience, Republicans have now effectively ceded that issue for a generation, and none of the democratic names currently being floated inspire me at all.
lisathegreek

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 11:35:47 PM »

Agreed. Castro will not do. We need a great orator with an inspiring story who makes people believe anything is possible if we come together as a nation. That's not Castro. Dems need to start thinking outside of the box or we will be in minority for a long time.
lisathegreek

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 11:56:25 PM »

Agreed. Castro will not do. We need a great orator with an inspiring story who makes people believe anything is possible if we come together as a nation. That's not Castro. Dems need to start thinking outside of the box or we will be in minority for a long time.
A) Trump is the walking apocalypse let's not act like we need freakin FDR to beat him in 2020 if he is as bad as early signs point and B) Castro was a poor kid raised by a single mom who went on to be a successful job creating mayor in a red state during the recession and as HUD has helped fight housing discrimination against gay and trans people. I can see that selling to the base especially aganist Cheeto Mussolini

Don't forget we live in a post-truth era. Reality is not reality, perception is reality. And Democrats are so disadvantaged by the electoral map (more voters, but concentrated in too few states) that we really do need an FDR who can appeal to and inspire all Americas. Hillary couldn't win with 2 million more votes. I want someone who can win by at least 5 million votes.

Cory Booker, Elizabeth Warren, Julian Castro, Amy Klobuchar, etc. aren't going to do it. We need the second coming of Barack Obama.
lisathegreek

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 12:02:50 AM »

A) Trump is the walking apocalypse let's not act like we need freakin FDR to beat him in 2020 if he is as bad as early signs point and B) Castro was a poor kid raised by a single mom who went on to be a successful job creating mayor in a red state during the recession and as HUD has helped fight housing discrimination against gay and trans people. I can see that selling to the base especially aganist Cheeto Mussolini

Don't forget we live in a post-truth era. Reality is not reality, perception is reality. And Democrats are so disadvantaged by the electoral map (more voters, but concentrated in too few states) that we really do need an FDR who can appeal to and inspire all Americas. Hillary couldn't win with 2 million more votes. I want someone who can win by at least 5 million votes.

Cory Booker, Elizabeth Warren, Julian Castro, Amy Klobuchar, etc. aren't going to do it. We need the second coming of Barack Obama.
I think your seriously over reading this election Trump barely beat a person who is under investigation by the FBI and has been at the center of 30 years worth of conspiracy theories

No, George W. Bush barely beat Al Gore. Donald Trump comfortably defeated Hillary and will have the advantage of incumbency in 4 years.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies