A question of morality
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:41:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  A question of morality
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A question of morality  (Read 2002 times)
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 24, 2005, 11:57:43 PM »

I am in the 28% income tax bracket.  Starting next week, I'll be going into business with myself that will earn me hopefully another $500 to $700 a week for a few hours of work every evening.

Of course, the government wants its cut.  It being off the books, would it be immoral to NOT declare it come tax day next year?

I would feel bad if I shop lifted something.  I even feel bad when I charge someone $50 for something that takes me 10 minutes to do but would cost him $150 if he had someone else come in and do it.  However, I don't have any conscious objection to refusing to let the government steal my money.

Would you declare your income?
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 12:06:49 AM »

If it were regular income, you bet. A very occasional service, maybe not.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 12:08:01 AM »

It is the law. If you object to it, vote. If not, move. Otherwise it's really just stealing, even if you object to it.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 12:18:18 AM »

I'm not too uptight about petty lawbreakers like potheads, drunk drivers, whores and johns, but income tax evaders are a more serious class of lawbreakers, imho.  Of course it's a matter for you and your superego to work out, but my advice is to declare income from all sources.  We all bitch about taxes, but like alcon said, it's really stealing if you don't pay them.  And, meanwhile, work to change the law if you can. 

Actually, in my country it's a double-edged sword.  Some of the most vociferous anti-tax crusaders are also some of the biggest neoconservative/imperialist types.  And in this age of huge military project spending, it is particularly hypocritical to evade taxes while, at the same time, extoll the virtues of American Might.  Frankly, I'm a big fan of defense R&D, but then you don't often hear me bitching about taxes.  Either way, whether you philosophically support welfare, defense, medicare, education spending, or the rest, if you claimed to support a republican form of democracy, or a democracy, then you support a form of majority rule.  And presumably the tax structure is legal and appropriate since it's based on the elected representatives of the people, so logically those taxes are there because it is the will of the people.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 02:22:30 AM »

I am in the 28% income tax bracket.  Starting next week, I'll be going into business with myself that will earn me hopefully another $500 to $700 a week for a few hours of work every evening.

Of course, the government wants its cut.  It being off the books, would it be immoral to NOT declare it come tax day next year?

What's the business? 
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 10:34:15 AM »

It is the law. If you object to it, vote. If not, move. Otherwise it's really just stealing, even if you object to it.

Exactly. Work to change the tax laws, but in the mean time be honest and pay your taxes.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 10:35:48 AM »

Exactly. Work to change the tax laws, but in the mean time be honest and pay your taxes.
the United States were founded becuase a group of people refused to pay unfair taxes.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 10:36:48 AM »

Keeping your own money is never stealing. It might be a jerk thing to do, but it's not stealing by definition.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 10:37:08 AM »

I think not.  I have moral issues with my money being used to fund murder (abortion).  I shall not contribute to such.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 10:42:59 AM »

I think not.  I have moral issues with my money being used to fund murder (abortion).  I shall not contribute to such.

As well as funding abortion, your money also contributes to building and maintaining roads, among other things.  By withholding your money, you also sacrifice your right to use essential public services such as that.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 10:45:37 AM »

As well as funding abortion, your money also contributes to building and maintaining roads, among other things.
I buy gas, which includes a gas levy.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
All of the public services I use I already pay for through municipal taxes or duties and levies.

I object to my money going to financing murder.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 06:57:13 PM »

As well as funding abortion, your money also contributes to building and maintaining roads, among other things.
I buy gas, which includes a gas levy.

All of the public services I use I already pay for through municipal taxes or duties and levies.

I object to my money going to financing murder.

Shall those of us who do not support the war in Iraq also withhold from paying taxes, or is this an exception specifically for you?

Keep in mind, that about 40% of the population of Iraq is under 14, and the majority is under 20 - that's a lot of kids killed in 'colateral damage'.  I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if pregnant women were at least some of the deceased as well - and that means their unborn children as well, if the unborn are the only ones you care about.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 07:07:48 PM »

^^^^^  Excellent point.

If everybody withheld their own money if they have one disagreement with what the government spends money on, the state would soon go bankrupt, and there'd be a lot more people in jail for tax evasion.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 07:36:15 PM »

Shall those of us who do not support the war in Iraq also withhold from paying taxes, or is this an exception specifically for you?
Absolutely.  The more people start refusing the tyranny of the government the better.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 08:37:08 PM »

I think not.  I have moral issues with my money being used to fund murder (abortion).  I shall not contribute to such.

I agree with Joe - don't pay taxes, and don't use any services at all. That includes roads, and - oh yes - public utilities, which get discounted rates. And anything else the government supplies. Have fun.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2005, 09:11:56 PM »

I agree with Joe - don't pay taxes, and don't use any services at all. That includes roads, and - oh yes - public utilities, which get discounted rates. And anything else the government supplies. Have fun.
Current law dictates that roads are built from revenue raised from gas duties, not income taxes.  For water, well, we use well water.  For other minor services, I pay PST, and other provincial taxes, duties, and levies.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2005, 09:14:10 PM »

Absolutely.  The more people start refusing the tyranny of the government the better.

Like those freedom-fighters, the drug dealers. 

I missed where you shared the nature of your business with us.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 07:18:34 AM »

Like those freedom-fighters, the drug dealers.
Almost, but not quite.  I really don't want people to get hurt, as is often the case with drug dealers.  If the government gets out of the business of telling people which drugs they can use, we would have lower crime and far fewer major problems.  That said, we would also have more Darwin awards, but I'm fine with that.

I didn't.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2005, 07:29:02 PM »

Richius, how about if you buy an island, set up your own government, and live there? Then you won't have to pay any taxes.

Do you actually have any political opinion or are you just here to troll, as your profile says?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies