Should a Jewish baker be forced to bake a cake for a Nazi wedding?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:37:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should a Jewish baker be forced to bake a cake for a Nazi wedding?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: Should a Jewish baker be forced to bake a cake for a Nazi wedding?
yes

no

no, and I see what you're trying to do here and it's not going to work

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 190

Author Topic: Should a Jewish baker be forced to bake a cake for a Nazi wedding?  (Read 17740 times)
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2016, 08:27:31 PM »

Nazism is a horrible oppressive ideology that killed 6 million of my people. Homosexuality never harmed a soul.

"I see what you're trying to do here and it's not gonna work"
dax00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2016, 12:27:12 PM »

In short, all cake baking offered to the public must me done at any given establishment. If a particular baker refuses for any reason, the employer should reserve the right to terminate said baker.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2016, 01:46:22 PM »

The argument baffles me. Surely cake making is the gayest of all arts?
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2017, 11:36:25 PM »

No, and the Nazis buying the cake should have the sh**t beat out of them.

As to gay wedding cakes, if a business is not going to sell a cake to a gay couple the government shouldn't do anything, but it wouldn't be a tragedy if that business was burnt to the ground.
Yay.  antifa is on Atlas forums.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2017, 11:37:34 PM »

No and I think it's a rather stupid question and the better question would be: "Should a Nazi baker be forced to bake a cake for a Jewish wedding? And to that question the answer would be; Yes.
Don't you see the hypocrisy in that statement?   BTW, I don't believe in forcing people to provide services period.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2017, 11:39:31 PM »

Of course the baker shouldn't be forced.  It shouldn't matter if the baker is Jewish or if the customer is a Nazi, you have the right to refuse service to anyone. 
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2017, 04:21:42 AM »

Of course the baker shouldn't be forced.  It shouldn't matter if the baker is Jewish or if the customer is a Nazi, you have the right to refuse service to anyone. 

This
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2017, 05:17:26 AM »

Yes
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2017, 01:33:30 PM »

The Gary Johnson question.

My answer is no.

The market would be such that there would be very little negative impact in refusing to bake for a Nazi wedding. Most people would applaud it.

In a city of even moderate size - like Grand Rapids, MI or Knoxville, TN you would expect to see some negative impact if a place habitually refused to serve people because of their sexuality or religion for instance. The owners / proprietors may quickly be the victim of an online campaign, boycotts and such. Both the right and the left are increasingly using this strategy.

In a very homogenous, monocultural, single-ideology area the market repercussions of refusing to do business with others based on bigotry may be more insulated. This is largely due to the limited widespread appeal of the location and perhaps the insular 'keep it to ourselves' mindset. Thus a small town's residents would likely have fewer objections with a photographer that did not do gay weddings and he or she may never receive any reprimand but if a gay couple asked they would likely find another appointment on that day.

America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2017, 01:44:59 PM »

yes because society should not be combining weddings with ideology/politics/religion/identity

(also, I am the type of person who would have been sent to the concentration camps in Nazi Germany if I was in the area during the regime)
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2017, 03:04:31 PM »

Option 3 but of the above two then no they shouldn't be forced too. They should have every right to refuse work because the baker isn't a slave to the customer. They have the right to refuse service to someone else even if it is morally wrong. It may not be smart economics for the baker because the baker is deliberately losing potential capital from the customer and i wouldn't advise any baker to refuse a potential source of work if there is capital to be earned and they baker wants to be financially safe and successful. It is just plan stupid but if the baker feels morally obliged to refuse to work in this case he should have no restrictions from the government as long as it is not going against any race based discrimination laws to prevent anything like segregation from occurring. Also if that person who refuses to work for someone else based on morality or something of that nature and that person is a employee of someone else then the employee also has every right to fire that person. And also as a final point Nazi weddings or a wedding that involves politics or identity is kind of going against the entire concept of a wedding being between two people and not one select ideology,race,religion, or identity.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2017, 12:51:22 PM »

Of course. It'd be a great chance to lace the cake with cyanide and dramatically improve the local community.

NB. This post should not be taken as an endorsement of murder. It is hyperbole meant to indicate my distaste and hostility towards Nazis.
JonHawk
JHawk
Rookie

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2017, 04:22:28 PM »

No but the Liberals love hypocrisy
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2017, 01:12:48 AM »

your answer to the forcing the baker to make a gay wedding cake and forcing them to make the Nazi cake should be the same.
if your answer is:
Yes/Yes, you are a consistent authoritarian
Yes/No you are an inconsistent SJW
No/Yes you are alt-right
No/No, you are a libertarian or a conservative
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2017, 06:42:33 PM »

CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT YOUR IDEOLOGY WITH JUST TWO SIMPLE QUESTIONS!!!

your answer to the forcing the baker to make a gay wedding cake and forcing them to make the Nazi cake should be the same.
if your answer is:
No/Yes you are alt-right
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2017, 11:57:22 PM »

Depends if there is a reasonable expectation of making a Nazi cake.

In general no, but if Goldberg's House of Offensive Cakes probably does.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2017, 02:14:05 PM »

You missed one with the slogan ARBEIT MACHT FREI.

...Gays and lesbians do not persecute straight people.

The only rationale for making  such a cake would be theatrical. Thus if Mel Brooks commissions it for a comedy spoofing Nazis I would do it. But if it is made to promote Nazism I would reject it and give a reason such as "for the same reason that I would never make a cake bearing the words "F--- YOU!"

I would not make a cake shaped like a coffin or a cemetery stone that reads "Pay up or die" on behalf of a loan shark. Or one with suggestion of pedophilia. Or one celebrating the September 11 attack. On  the other hand... maybe I would make one of those cakes in cooperation with law enforcement a snare for someone who deserves to be arrested. The cake would probably be inedible -- you know, made with wood shavings or old newspapers... as evidence of a crime.   

Of course it is possible that someone could get a rather plain cake and decorate it as he wishes -- even with a swastika or Nazi slogans, or many other possible offenses. 

What someone does with the cake
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2017, 01:59:20 AM »

TBH, I think businesses should be allowed to deny service to anybody for any reason, but my namesake lost that battle over 50 years ago so whatever. Tongue
I agree for small businesses, but not large corporations. Imagine if internet service providers could just block websites they dislike or power companies shut off electricity to political dissidents. That's quite different from bakers not making cakes for gay weddings or the gym that expelled Richard Spencer, for example.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2017, 07:43:04 AM »

This

^

Saying it again for the people in the back. 
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2017, 05:56:01 PM »

Of course. It'd be a great chance to lace the cake with cyanide and dramatically improve the local community.

NB. This post should not be taken as an endorsement of murder. It is hyperbole meant to indicate my distaste and hostility towards Nazis.

That would just create martyrs. Lace it with laxatives instead. Smiley
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2017, 08:13:28 PM »

I guess conservatives are worried they won't be able to find bakers for their forced marriages to child brides?
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2017, 10:24:11 PM »

if your answer is:
No/Yes you are alt-right
not your entire ideology but it tests whether you are a hypocrite or not!
hunter gatherer
rascalking
Rookie

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2017, 09:21:34 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2017, 09:47:12 PM by rascalking »

generally speaking, I don't think the goverment should force a business to do anything without a legal basis for doing so, you have to look at these things in a case by case basis for example if a  jewish bakery  advertises that they cater to weddings but they find out that one of there costumers is a Nazi so they decide to refuse that person service because of that person political beliefs, then I think you could make the argument that that business misrepresented its self and maybe they should be forced to to bake a cake for a Nazi wedding.

but should a Nazi bakery be forced to bake a cake for a jewish wedding? open you mind and open your hearts to find the answer to that question me fellow atlasins.  

Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2017, 04:41:56 PM »

if your answer is:
No/Yes you are alt-right
not your entire ideology but it tests whether you are a hypocrite or not!
Or you don't consider "wants to literally murder millions" deserving of the same protections as "likes people of the same gender".
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2017, 01:14:37 AM »

TBH, I think businesses should be allowed to deny service to anybody for any reason

Yeah, I'd say this, but I'd encourage private citizens to protest discrimination.

I hate both discrimination and government forcing people to do things they don't want to do, because both are disasterous to society, but I don't think we have to choose between one or the other. Bigotry will still exist if there are laws against it, and societal pressure is a more powerful tool for shaping cultural attitudes towards things than government action ever will be.

Right on.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies