Will Science Drive Religion Extinct?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:16:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Will Science Drive Religion Extinct?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Will Science Drive Religion Extinct?  (Read 2896 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 12:12:56 PM »
« edited: May 12, 2016, 01:51:26 PM by Snowguy716 »

It is the active belief that there is no God, based either on faith or on a lack of empirical evidence.

That's a very narrow definition of "atheism," that neither reflects the literal meaning of the word ("without atheism"), nor a common belief (few atheists actively believe there is certainly no God; agnostic atheism is much more common than "hard" atheism).

Most people would claim that there's not rational reason to believe in God, but that is not the same as "active belief that there is no God" -- we are, after all, talking about a metaphysical subject.
I was responding to Afleitch's assertion that atheism is "simply a non-belief in God", which is not true.  

Now you're literally citing doctrines and defining denominations of this supposed "unreligion".

As for homeopathy...you can claim it has been rejected and that many treatments it prescribes ineffective...but you'd have a hard time arguing "successful homeopathy doesn't exist at all."
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 12:34:06 PM »

Interesting study out of Rice University:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2016, 07:00:44 AM »

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2016, 07:04:37 AM »

Interesting study out of Rice University:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Going back centuries, one finds that in the days of al-Andalus, many advances were made in science.  Religion certainly wasn't a hindrance to this then; I see no reason to think that would be the case now.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2016, 12:04:19 PM »

Bumping this to add that I was invited to give a talk about Christianity and science. I spoke to a small group after church last Sunday for about an hour with slides. My focus was on the creation of the universe and how biblical faith is not in contradiction to results from quantum mechanics, particle physics, and cosmology.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2016, 05:33:02 PM »

Bumping this to add that I was invited to give a talk about Christianity and science. I spoke to a small group after church last Sunday for about an hour with slides. My focus was on the creation of the universe and how biblical faith is not in contradiction to results from quantum mechanics, particle physics, and cosmology.

Nice!  I usually try to avoid talking about this subject (though I find it fascinating) because the crusaders and psychos on both sides are literally impossible to talk to about it in a respectful, curious and open-minded way.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies