Worldwide Electoral College
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:21:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  Worldwide Electoral College
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Worldwide Electoral College  (Read 1500 times)
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 19, 2016, 07:12:12 PM »

Was browsing an unfinished AH thread on alternatehistory.com and saw this interesting idea: What if the entire world was split up into the Electoral College?

Discuss with or without maps.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 07:42:33 PM »

I think a College of proportional electors is most likely. I. E., we elect the electors, who then serve as the legislature or one part of a legislature, being the part that elects the head of state.

Tricameralism has always seemed viable to me. I think it would be:

House of Lords, two from each country elected once every four years being two years apart.

House of Deputies, one from each country + proportional to population.

House of Electors, by population of each country(one Elector for every ten million people or one for under ten million)

Vice President: nominated by the President, they are confirmed by two of the three legislative branches

The House of Lords and House of Deputies debate most legislation. If they disagree, the Vice President breaks the tie or moves the tie to the Electors, where if it should tie he must cast the deciding vote. Afterwards, the President either vetoes it or signs it. If he signs it, it becomes law. If he vetoed it, any three of these five bodies may overrule his veto: the Electors, Lords, Deputies, Vice President, and Cabinet. The Cabinet is confirmed by the Electors, where if they fail to gain three-fifths of the vote, the Vice President shall decide whether or not they are confirmed. No more than one-quarter of the Cabinet members, including the Vice President and President, may be from the same country. The federal budget must be nominated by any one of: head of the Treasury, head of the budget office, or presiding member of the Lords, or President, provided the President agrees to it. Three of the following four must approve the budget: Lords, Deputies, Electors, and Vice President.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 12:48:38 AM »

I wonder a candidate could win just by winning India and East Asia. Of course, I have no idea if they would ever even vote for the same candidate, but it's a weird thought nonetheless.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 09:47:56 PM »

I wonder a candidate could win just by winning India and East Asia. Of course, I have no idea if they would ever even vote for the same candidate, but it's a weird thought nonetheless.
It depends. If India becomes more developed and Japanese like, I could see a candidate winning South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, the Philippines, and India. Maybe Siam, Burma, Cambodia, and Singapore too.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 03:31:51 PM »

I'll make a map later, but here's a two-party dynamic (not very realistic, but the best I could come up with that wouldn't just be a blowout for one side or super-factionalism):

Social Democrats: Basically a generic left-of-centre party with an emphasis on human rights and social justice. Supports greater aid to developing nations, respect for minority groups, women, etc. It's base of support covers the Americas, the West, parts of Africa, and India.

Ticket: Sonia Gandhi/Justin Trudeau

Party of Nations: Big tent populist party with an emphasis on national sovereignty. Whatever the global analogue of "Euro-sceptic" is. Think some international version of United Russia, which promises to counter attempts by nations to influence the goings-on of other nations. Has base of support in Russia and China.

Ticket: Li Keqiang/Dmitry Medvedev
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 05:40:55 PM »

Here's a map to go with the above post. This was done in about 5 minutes without much thought, so feel free to point out any glaring mistakes.

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 06:52:08 PM »

Green/The Left Coalition:
Ideology: Centre-left to Left-wing
Main Regions: Eastern Europe, parts of Eastern Asia, and parts of the Carribean, Mexico, Central America, and South America
Ticket: Richard Di Natale(Australia)/Bodo Ramelow(Germany)

Social Democratic:
Ideology: Centre-left
Main regions: Parts of Central and Western Europe, New England, Canada
Ticket: Jeremy Corbyn(United Kingdom)/Barbara Nowacka(Poland)

Liberal Centre:
Ideology: Centre
Main Regions: Europe, America, Australia, Western Asia, Southern/Southeastern Asia
Ticket: Christian Lindner(Germany)/Nicholas Xenophon(Australia)

Conservative:
Ideology: Centre-right to right; pro-African development
Main regions: America, Mexico, Africa, Middle East(Israel to Pakistan), Switzerland, Danubian region, Balkans, Japan, South Korea
Ticket: Nicolas Sarkozy(Feance)/Shinzo Abe(Japan)

Federalist:
Ideology: Far-right
Main regions: Pakistan, Iran, Turkey, Greece, Southern Europe, Mediterranean
Ticket: Devlet Bahcali(Turkey)/Marine Le Pen(France)

Autonomy and Regionalist United:
Ideology: Big-tent; usually Centre-right to Centre-left; generally supports devolution and autonomy
Main Regions: Scotland, Catalonia, Quebec, etc.
Ticket: Angus Robertson(United Kingdom-SNP)/Pauline Marois(Canada-Québécois)
Krago
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 11:06:11 AM »

The ideal candidate would be someone from an OECD country, of African/Muslim heritage, who grew up in the Asia/Pacific region.

Can't think of anyone.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies