WTHR indiana poll: trump and clinton with modest leads
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:55:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  WTHR indiana poll: trump and clinton with modest leads
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: WTHR indiana poll: trump and clinton with modest leads  (Read 4053 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2016, 03:25:42 PM »

And in what area is Trump going to get such a huge block of votes in Indiana as he did in Cook County Illinois, in one spot, to put him over the top?

The Northwest part of the state from Whiting to South Bend. I expect them to vote like the Chicago suburbs did. Also I expect Trump to do very well in the Southwest part of the state between the Ohio and Wabash Rivers as it is a very Catholic region and ancestral Democratic, plus the counties along the Ohio River.

You think Trump, by himself, is going to get 120,000+ votes from just that one area of Indiana?

I have no idea what the exact numbers are going to be there, but I do expect the percentages to look like they did in the Chicago area.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2016, 03:32:04 PM »

And in what area is Trump going to get such a huge block of votes in Indiana as he did in Cook County Illinois, in one spot, to put him over the top?

The Northwest part of the state from Whiting to South Bend. I expect them to vote like the Chicago suburbs did. Also I expect Trump to do very well in the Southwest part of the state between the Ohio and Wabash Rivers as it is a very Catholic region and ancestral Democratic, plus the counties along the Ohio River.

You think Trump, by himself, is going to get 120,000+ votes from just that one area of Indiana?

I have no idea what the exact numbers are going to be there, but I do expect the percentages to look like they did in the Chicago area.
I agree with Gass' analysis. Indiana to me is more Downstate Illinois/Chicago Burbs than Wisconsin.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2016, 03:41:48 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2016, 03:44:05 PM by White Light »

Trump is OBVIOUSLY going to clean up in Lake County. Do you guys know anything about that area? It's more friendly to him than Cook County.

Of course it's also a much smaller portion of its respective state.
ashridge
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2016, 03:49:24 PM »

Percentages yes, maybe so, but I wasn't talking about the percentages, I was talking about the raw number of votes. I doubt he's going to get anywhere near the raw number of votes in Lake county as he did in Cook County. If he'd have only gotten half the vote in Cook County that he actually did, he and Cruz would basically have tied statewide. I just don't see where he can rack up that kind of raw vote total in any one area of Indiana like he did in Illinois.
ashridge
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2016, 03:50:28 PM »

Trump is OBVIOUSLY going to clean up in Lake County. Do you guys know anything about that area? It's more friendly to him than Cook County.

Of course it's also a much smaller portion of its respective state.

That's what I was getting at.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2016, 04:02:24 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2016, 04:05:29 PM by Clarko95 »

Lake County isn't the only county that will matter in Northern Indiana.

Porter County (Valparaiso, Portage), LaPorte County (Michigan City, La Porte), St. Joseph (South Bend metro), and Elkhart County are all heavily industrialized counties that have a large portion of economically struggling areas, steel workers, whites of southern origin, racial tensions, and suburbs.

Predicting the raw vote total is hard, because this will be the first time the Republican primary mattered in 20 years. In 2012, these counties cast 78,000 of 635,000 total votes in the GOP primary (~12%). In 2016, we have a competitive primary, and also a candidate (Trump) who draws up very strong emotions among supporters and detractors.

If Hillary sweeps on Tuesday, I can see a lot of independents and maybe even Democrats crossing over to meddle in the GOP primary (to boost Trump? Or to stop him? who knows). I also predict that turnout from disaffected voters will surge and benefit Trump.

Northwest/northern Indiana will most certainly be Trump's voter base for the primary. The question is how many votes will he get here and everywhere else, compared to his opponents.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2016, 04:10:28 PM »

Porter County (Valparaiso, Portage), LaPorte County (Michigan City, La Porte), St. Joseph (South Bend metro), and Elkhart County are all heavily industrialized counties that have a large portion of economically struggling areas, steel workers, whites of southern origin, racial tensions, and suburbs.

Predicting the raw vote total is hard, because this will be the first time the Republican primary mattered in 20 years. In 2012, these counties cast 78,000 of 635,000 total votes in the GOP primary (~12%). In 2016, we have a competitive primary, and also a candidate (Trump) who draws up very strong emotions among supporters and detractors.

If Hillary sweeps on Tuesday, I can see a lot of independents and maybe even Democrats crossing over to meddle in the GOP primary (to boost Trump? Or to stop him? who knows). I also predict that turnout from disaffected voters will surge and benefit Trump.

Northwest/northern Indiana will most certainly be Trump's voter base for the primary. The question is how many votes will he get here and everywhere else, compared to his opponents.

What are your thoughts of Southwest IN and the counties along the Ohio River also being strong for Trump? Trump has done very well in places that are ancestral Democrat.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2016, 04:18:56 PM »

What are your thoughts of Southwest IN and the counties along the Ohio River also being strong for Trump? Trump has done very well in places that are ancestral Democrat.

No idea tbh. Not familiar with much south of Indianapolis. Just off of Illinois' and Ohio's results, I'm guessing Trump.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2016, 04:26:23 PM »

My thoughts are that Trump will romp in IN-08 and 09, in the south, along with IN-01 (the industrial NW corner). IN-06 is mixed but lean anti Trump unless Dearborn county (Cinci burbs), is lower middle class. Columbus is kind of an upscale town, and not good for Trump, and Richmond probably is not either, and then there are the east Indianapolis burbs, which should also be close. Trump should lose the other CD's I would think.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2016, 04:30:02 PM »

My thoughts are that Trump will romp in IN-08 and 09, in the south, along with IN-01 (the industrial NW corner). IN-06 is mixed but lean anti Trump unless Dearborn county (Cinci burbs), is lower middle class. Columbus is kind of an upscale town, and not good for Trump, and Richmond probably is not either, and then there are the east Indianapolis burbs, which should also be close. Trump should lose the other CD's I would think.

What about CD-02? I feel like that could be close or lean Trump.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2016, 04:35:33 PM »

Maybe. Are South Bend Catholics Trump Catholics? The other counties are very conservative, and religious, which is not Trump's best demographic. He does best with more secular lower middle class/working class Catholics, and goes down from there, outside the south.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2016, 04:56:52 PM »

Maybe. Are South Bend Catholics Trump Catholics? The other counties are very conservative, and religious, which is not Trump's best demographic. He does best with more secular lower middle class/working class Catholics, and goes down from there, outside the south.

The county with South Bend in it is actually plurality mainline protestant. I think that's the district that could determine who wins the state.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies