2017: NJ Gubernatorial/legislative elections (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:20:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2017: NJ Gubernatorial/legislative elections (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2017: NJ Gubernatorial/legislative elections  (Read 65539 times)
Pollster
YaBB God

« on: May 14, 2017, 03:49:06 PM »

I'm a registered NJ Democrat who reliably votes in statewide primaries so I'm often contacted frequently by gubernatorial and Senate campaigns. With the primary three weeks away I have only been directly contacted so far by Johnson's campaign, and his campaign has contacted me three times as of this writing. I'm not involved with any of the campaigns but it seems to me like his ground game is the strongest. Conversely, Phil Murphy's TV presence has been the strongest, which is incredibly important in NJ politics. I suspect if the race tightens it will be between those two. I have not yet decided for whom I will vote.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 04:08:55 PM »

My guess, by the way, is that Johnson is gonna announce a primary challenge to Menendez after all this is over. This primary challenge will get a lot more media coverage than the gubernatorial primary, in part because Menendez is such a tarred candidate but also because Johnson is the perfect foil against him, as his large platform plank was ethics reform and Johnson has proven himself a capable fundraiser (being black doesn't hurt as well).

I suppose that's possible-- the ethics angle would be a perfect contrast. My hope is that Rush Holt comes out of retirement to primary Menendez, or Pallone, but I would certainly support Johnson if it came down to him or Bobby.

Holt would be the perfect candidate for the Dems to nominate in a Trump midterm.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 02:59:42 PM »

Stockton has Murphy and Guadagno leading the primaries, with Johnson and Ciatarelli hitting double digits with <2 weeks to go.

https://stockton.edu/hughes-center/polling/documents/2017-0525-stockton-gubernatorial-polls.pdf
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:43:10 AM »

I imagine the final Dem spread will be something along the lines of
Murphy 58
Johnson 20
Wiz 12
Lesniak 8
Others 2

GOP
Guadagno 53
Ciattarelli 40
Others 7
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 06:12:49 PM »

Financially a smart move - winning the Dem primary was always going to be harder for him than the GE.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 01:30:57 PM »

I can say with confidence that Ciattarelli's campaign is in overdrive. Guadagno has been out of the state to attend her father's funeral, which sadly could cost her votes due to lack of campaign appearances. GOP side will be close.

Updated predix:

Dem:
Murphy - 45
Johnson - 29
Wiz - 20
Lesniak - 5
Other - 1

GOP:
Guadagno - 52
Ciatarelli - 46
Other - 2
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 01:33:50 PM »

Ciattarelli I believe is going to transition after this election into a challenge to Menendez. Even if he wins the GOP governor nom, Christie has likely put the race out of reach. Menendez would be a far more winnable race, especially with Ciattarelli's record of winning in a Dem district.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 07:39:04 PM »

Not sure Ciattarelli could make it 51-46, especially with Murphy already leading Guadagno by >20 points in the most recent polls. The GOP brand in NJ is incredibly damaged to the point that I'm not even sure Abraham Lincoln could win this election.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 05:52:16 PM »

With a little more than 24 hours until polls close, I have had:
-2 canvassers for Johnson at my door today, separated by only about 2 hours
-1 canvasser for Wisniewski
-1 phone call for Murphy

Additionally, I went out food shopping and when I returned a hangtag for Murphy and the county Democratic line was on my doorknob.

I still haven't decided (leaning towards Johnson at the moment) and I'm still predicting a Murphy win but I have to hand it to each campaign for really giving this their all.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 07:31:42 PM »

With a little more than 24 hours until polls close, I have had:
-2 canvassers for Johnson at my door today, separated by only about 2 hours
-1 canvasser for Wisniewski
-1 phone call for Murphy

Additionally, I went out food shopping and when I returned a hangtag for Murphy and the county Democratic line was on my doorknob.

I still haven't decided (leaning towards Johnson at the moment) and I'm still predicting a Murphy win but I have to hand it to each campaign for really giving this their all.

Curious, can I ask what county you're in? Most people that I've talked to (I'm in Bergen County) say they've been flooded with Murphy literature the past few weeks.

I'm in Middlesex, and have also gotten a handful of Murphy literature since mid-April.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 02:36:11 PM »

I voted for Jim Johnson at 9:30 AM this morning. I was voter #4 in my precinct. It hadn't started raining yet.

Turnout is going to be embarrassingly low.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 02:44:48 PM »

It is the off-year election that does it - I've never seen the reasoning behind it.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 07:38:38 PM »

The Atlantic is using Decision Desk HQ's numbers. DD is the only entity that has called either race so far, though they are probably correct.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 07:59:59 PM »

Ciattarelli is leading right now in Middlesex, an white ethnic stronghold.

The Asian vote has significant power here in Middlesex.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 08:16:33 PM »

Murphy has sent out a victory email and will be making a speech tonight.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 08:17:52 PM »

NYT has now called the GOP side for Guadagno.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 08:47:19 PM »

Interestingly enough, between Murphy and Guadagno I am leaning towards Guadagno.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 09:05:38 PM »

With all of their precincts reporting, Wisniewski carries Salem County by only 3 (!) votes.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 02:21:39 PM »

Just put a GCS poll of this race in the field. Will report results when I have them.

My analysis of this race going forward:

-Guadagno's pro-choice and strongly anti-gas tax positions will keep her competitive in Somerset and Middlesex counties and will help her hold Monmouth, and her rebuking of Trump will help her stay above water in Morris County, though I anticipate Morris will be closer than ever before.

-Guadagno's support of school choice and strong anti-sanctuary cities position - in addition to general disapproval of Christie/GOP in general - will give Murphy the opportunity to run up potentially historic margins in Camden, Essex and Hudson counties that Guadagno likely won't be able to overcome.

-George Norcross, who essentially runs the state of NJ, supports Murphy but was very clearly intent on running Steve Sweeney before Murphy boxed him out of the primary. Norcross will still deliver the South Jersey vote for Murphy, but Norcross is not used to not getting what he wants. If the margins are smaller than average it could represent remaining animosity that could foreshadow Trenton gridlock between Murphy allies and Norcross allies.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 05:30:50 PM »

My GCS poll completed the other night (took a very long time to complete for some reason). I'm having trouble exporting the results but nothing shocking: Murphy winning nearly 2 to 1, leading every demographic. He has huge leads in Newark/Camden and is only narrowly trailing in the shore points.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies