Plant genetic resources (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:50:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Plant genetic resources (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Plant genetic resources  (Read 18154 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 10, 2005, 12:19:47 AM »

Products derived from the genetic properties specific to one type of plant would be my guess.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 12:40:51 AM »

Products derived from the genetic properties specific to one type of plant would be my guess.

And what exactly is the background on exploitation of these resources by multinational corporations in developing countries?

I think it refers to doing things like developing drugs out of plant life, like quinine.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 05:40:58 PM »

The ethics questions seems to revolve around the use of copyrights on naturally occuring genetic materials that result in large profits for the holders of these some what questionable copyrights and prevents others from using naturally occuring materials to create low cost life saving drugs. This is a WTO issue. So I would imagine you could find the pros at a pro WTO source and the cons at an anti WTO source. It does seem like a fairly questionable practice to me.

Whoever decided you can copyright mother nature is completely nuts.

I believe you all mean "patent."  What is being patented is the process that developes the "genetic resource."  Ah, that's where the got aspirin (well part of it).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies