Tajik referendums, 22 May
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:02:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Tajik referendums, 22 May
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tajik referendums, 22 May  (Read 969 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2016, 09:29:37 PM »

Tajikistan will have three referendums, to a) ban religious based parties b) abolish term limits and c) lower the age to run for president.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 01:14:38 AM »

Tajikistan will have three referendums, to a) ban religious based parties b) abolish term limits and c) lower the age to run for president.

Not knowing anything about Tajikstan's electoral system, I imagine these referendums are designed to a) crush religious-based dissent, b) allow whoever's in charge to be in charge for longer, and c) enable somebody's son to be president in a relatively few years?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 03:56:52 AM »

Yes, yes and yes. Evidently Rahmon is looking at his Uzbek, Turkmen and Kazakh neighbours and has decided he wants to be president for life as well.

The anti religious party referendum is to ensure the Islamic Renaissance Party, the last of the remnants of the opposition in the Tajik Civil War, don't return under another guise. They fell under threshold last election and were declared a terrorist group.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 05:44:23 AM »

*not that much related comment based on Wikipedia about country history, society, etc. to show that I am not ignorant and I know a lot of things but in the end actually that post is sh**tpost and I don't know anything what everybody notices*

Eh man, those Tajiks!
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 05:47:35 AM »

Are these electoral type events or will the results somewhat reflect how people voted?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 10:08:37 AM »

Are these electoral type events or will the results somewhat reflect how people voted?

Unless Tajikistan has changed remarkably in recent years, the former. The head of the country's official anticorruption watchdog is the President's son.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 03:50:42 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2016, 03:52:27 PM by IceAgeComing »

the only one of the 'stans that's remotely democratic is Kyrgyzstan; the others are various forms of autocratic states; from being very boring like Kazakhstan to just being insane like Turkmenistan - the latter is very bad for the people living there mind, but very interesting to look at as an observer.

The results suggest that it wasn't exactly a democratic vote: 92% turnout, 94.5% Yes vote.  It was an all or nothing referendum, you either approved all of the (41) amendments or rejected them all.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 11:20:23 PM »

*not that much related comment based on Wikipedia about country history, society, etc. to show that I am not ignorant and I know a lot of things but in the end actually that post is sh**tpost and I don't know anything what everybody notices*

Eh man, those Tajiks!

Oh, if my post was bad, I apologize. I just guessed that those particular referendums would enhance somebody's dictatorship, no matter the country.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 06:24:16 PM »

Eh man, those Tajiks!

Oh, if my post was bad, I apologize. I just guessed that those particular referendums would enhance somebody's dictatorship, no matter the country.
I think it was just self-reflection and not aimed at your post, which was spot on.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies