'This would not have happened if I was white'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:51:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  'This would not have happened if I was white'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: I this guy just a victim of racism?
Yes

No

Don't know

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: 'This would not have happened if I was white'  (Read 1094 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2016, 03:18:48 PM »
« edited: May 06, 2016, 03:33:17 PM by ingemann »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.thelocal.se/20160502/this-would-not-have-happened-if-i-was-white

So is this poor guy just a victim of Islamophobia?
NOT gonna be banned soon
Golfman76
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 03:45:07 PM »

Sweden has gone too far down it is best just to ignore them
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 03:52:20 PM »

Aww, the poor victim.  How dare people point out his bigotry!
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 05:02:03 PM »

Sweden has gone too far down it is best just to ignore them

In all fairness even the Swedish Greens, decided that it would be better that this guy found another party to be member of.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 11:36:16 PM »

Bigotry? I can easily see how a person could choose to avoid shaking the hand of someone of the sex they are attracted to while at the same time not thinking said person was inferior. Physical contact involves a degree of intimacy, and the hands are quite sensual organs.Granted, I personally see neither the level of intimacy nor sensuality of a simple handshake rising to the level of something to avoid, but the reasoning that leads to that decision is quite understandable.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 07:51:22 AM »

Bigotry? I can easily see how a person could choose to avoid shaking the hand of someone of the sex they are attracted to while at the same time not thinking said person was inferior. Physical contact involves a degree of intimacy, and the hands are quite sensual organs.Granted, I personally see neither the level of intimacy nor sensuality of a simple handshake rising to the level of something to avoid, but the reasoning that leads to that decision is quite understandable.
I don't buy this. This is not to say that I have any problems with women or men not shaking hands of the opposite sex, since I know many people (i.e. Orthodox Jews) who do not wish to do so, and that is perfectly fine by me. However, the idea that shaking hands in a professional context necessarily involves any sensuality or intimacy is absurd. At the same time, Yasri Khan not shaking women's hands is not nearly the most problematic thing about him. Still, it would be hypocritical for the Green Party to keep him.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 08:54:22 AM »

Are you playing Devil's Advocate or do you actually believe that?  I totally agree there are numerous perfectly good reasons to not shake another person's hand.  None of them are why this bigot refused to shake that lady's hand.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 11:42:34 AM »

He is correct. This would not have happened if he was white or really any other kind of non-Muslim (Eastern European, Asian, Christian African, etc.) Because he wouldn't have found political institutions that would have coddled him for the purposes of "diversity" and given him a soap box to express his views.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 03:12:30 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2016, 03:18:21 PM by whyCarly? »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

reads, on multiple levels, like a parody of the level of cultural and religious discussion in contemporary Europe.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 06:55:35 PM »

He is correct. This would not have happened if he was white or really any other kind of non-Muslim (Eastern European, Asian, Christian African, etc.) Because he wouldn't have found political institutions that would have coddled him for the purposes of "diversity" and given him a soap box to express his views.

It amazes me the extent to which the agents of the cultural left will excuse Islamic cultural conservatism while assailing Western cultural conservatism. I give credit to the Swedish Greens for having the courage to call him out on his bigotry.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 06:27:32 AM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies