Trump tax plan.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:09:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump tax plan.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump tax plan.  (Read 3129 times)
pepper11
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2016, 10:46:51 AM »

There is a clear narrative the media has pushed that Trump, despite his wealth, wants to raise taxes on the wealthy. Turn on CNN or MSNBC and watch any panel discussion on tax rates and a commentator will promote the narrative Trump wants to raise rates on the wealthy. Trump even somehow promotes this narrative. This makes no sense. Below is his tax plan which drastically cuts everyones rates. What in the world is going on?

The following is Trump's tax plan:

Establishes four tax brackets, with rates of 0%, 10%, 20% and 25%. The top rate applies to to income over $150,000 for single filers and $300,000 for joint filers.

Lowers the top corporate rate to 15%.

Eliminates the estate tax.

Eliminates the net investment income surtax.

Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 10:51:39 AM »

if you want to know how much you save, input your income into the isidewith.com tax calculator for a rough estimate. I am actually enthusiastic for Trump after seeing how much I will save.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 10:54:52 AM »

Maybe they're referring to capital gains rather than income?
HillOfANight
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 10:58:48 AM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-trump-idUSKCN0XZ0I3

This came out today.

"I am willing to pay more, and you know what, the wealthy are willing to pay more," Trump told ABC's "This Week."

Pressed on the contradiction between his latest comments on taxes and the September tax plan, Trump said that he expected his original proposal was a "a concept" and he expected that it would be changed following negotiations with Congress.

"By the time it gets negotiated, it's going to be a different plan," Trump told ABC. He emphasized in interviews with both ABC and in a separate interview with NBC's "Meet the Press" that his priorities were lowering taxes on the middle class and businesses.

"The middle class has to be protected," Trump told NBC. "The rich is probably going to end up paying more."
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 11:10:21 AM »

So nobody knows what Trump's tax plan is. The one in the OP is of course ludicrous, particularly inasmuch as Trump does not want to touch entitlements. The combination of the two would rapidly lead the US into insolvency. No wonder Ryan has issues with Trump. In reality, if we are not going to touch entitlements much (although medical subsidies will have to change, by going to the HMO model for everyone (where there is no incentive to over medicate and treat) and sooner rather than later), it is the middle class who will have to pay more in taxes, considerably more. There is just not enough money to harvest from the rich, even if the rates get Draconian.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 11:15:10 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2016, 11:18:01 AM by pepper11 »

So nobody knows what Trump's tax plan is. The one in the OP is of course ludicrous, particularly inasmuch as Trump does not want to touch entitlements.

Info is directly from Trumps website  and official platform.

What a joke. He is trying to have it both ways
HillOfANight
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 11:17:53 AM »

So nobody knows what Trump's tax plan is. The one in the OP is of course ludicrous, particularly inasmuch as Trump does not want to touch entitlements.

Info is directly from Trumps website  and official platform.

But he just said changed his mind.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 11:18:47 AM »

if you want to know how much you save, input your income into the isidewith.com tax calculator for a rough estimate. I am actually enthusiastic for Trump after seeing how much I will save.

Aren't you like twelve? How much income tax do you pay at the moment lol?
pepper11
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 11:19:25 AM »

Info is directly from Trumps website  and official platform.

But he just said changed his mind.

In that instant? Its his official policy on his website.
HillOfANight
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 11:22:15 AM »

It wouldn't be the first time he flipped and flopped.

If you didn't see the first link I sent here's another one.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/08/politics/donald-trump-taxes-wealthy/
https://politicalwire.com/2016/05/08/trump-backs-higher-taxes-on-the-wealthy/
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 11:22:20 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2016, 11:24:34 AM by Torie »

Info is directly from Trumps website  and official platform.

Well, that's nice. But what will it be next week, much less if and when he becomes POTUS? When somebody really doesn't believe in much of anything, except himself, everything is in flux. It's like a sail boat without a rudder, anchor or ballast. It simply floats around with the winds. If it has no sails, it floats with the tides. Indeed it is almost like trans-uranic elements (see muon2, I know more science that you thought! Tongue), with atomic numbers greater than 92, which are too unstable to be found in nature. In that sense, Trump defies nature. I think maybe what we see when we see him, is a special effects movie, where he exists only by virtue of computer software. Is there a way to get some computer virus into the damn black box, to shut this all down?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 01:21:11 PM »

Trump saying he will raise taxes on the rich seems to be a hamfisted play for Sanders voters.  This is his taco bowl for the Bernie fans
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 01:54:13 PM »

I love how the media lets Trump off so easily with his vague answers and history of flip-flopping on a plethora of issues. Disgraceful media not doing its job but instead being too afraid to challenge Trump because they know he's good for ratings and his sheeple will solidly stand behind him when he eviscerates any reporter who "isn't nice to him," at rallies with thousands of cheering buffoons or on Twitter with thousands of Internet trolls. My lord, he really does behave like an elementary school playground bully. The Chuck Todd interviews are the worse. It's like a reversal of the Palin-Katie Couric fiasco interviews where the interviewer is dumber than a box of rocks and the interviewee controls the interview.

So he now is okay with raising taxes on the wealthy? Isn't this like the kiss of death for any Republican to be in favor of RAISING TAXES?! (Did he not sign the Grover Norquist pledge?) But I guess it's okay because Americans are "angry" and we are willing to put a clown in office all because he "says whatever he wants."
Fargobison

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 02:02:37 PM »

It is sad that the toughest interviews Trump has had were with conservative Wisconsin radio talk show hosts.

Trump has no plan for anything, it is all negotiable and most of what he stands for is just telling people whatever they want to hear.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 03:11:59 PM »

I love how the media lets Trump off so easily with his vague answers and history of flip-flopping on a plethora of issues. Disgraceful media not doing its job but instead being too afraid to challenge Trump because they know he's good for ratings and his sheeple will solidly stand behind him when he eviscerates any reporter who "isn't nice to him," at rallies with thousands of cheering buffoons or on Twitter with thousands of Internet trolls. My lord, he really does behave like an elementary school playground bully. The Chuck Todd interviews are the worse. It's like a reversal of the Palin-Katie Couric fiasco interviews where the interviewer is dumber than a box of rocks and the interviewee controls the interview.

So he now is okay with raising taxes on the wealthy? Isn't this like the kiss of death for any Republican to be in favor of RAISING TAXES?! (Did he not sign the Grover Norquist pledge?) But I guess it's okay because Americans are "angry" and we are willing to put a clown in office all because he "says whatever he wants."

Donald Trump gives 3 different positions on the same within 10 hours. Media: "Wow, he's so genuine! He tells it like it is!"

Hillary Clinton changes positions on an issue over 10 years. Media: "Wow, what an untrustworthy dishonest flip flopping pandering liar!"
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 04:26:04 PM »

Donald Trump gives 3 different positions on the same within 10 hours. Media: "Wow, he's so genuine! He tells it like it is!"

Hillary Clinton changes positions on an issue over 10 years. Media: "Wow, what an untrustworthy dishonest flip flopping pandering liar!"
Boy, ain't that the truth.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 05:03:06 PM »

Jesus screaming Christ, he's calling for an end to the federal minimum wage now

It's disgraceful how the media that eviscerated Howard Dean for making a funny noise is giving Trump a pass on everything.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 05:45:34 PM »

Trump today on raising taxes on the wealthy:

“We lower the taxes on the middle class, on business. And we lower the taxes on everybody, very substantially. But I have no illusions. I don't think that's going to be the final plan. Because they are going to come to me, including the Democrats and everybody else, they're going to come to me. They're going to want to negotiate.”

So let me get this straight. The guy who is selling himself as the greatest negotiator in history who will singlehandedly bring the US the greatest trade deals ever, WANTS to lower taxes on the wealthy, HAS a plan for rates to be 25% on the wealthy, yet states rates will go UP from the current 39.6% because he will have to negotiate!?? What?  He would seem to be losing that negotiation.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2016, 05:50:19 PM »

“We lower the taxes on the middle class, on business. And we lower the taxes on everybody, very substantially. But I have no illusions. I don't think that's going to be the final plan. Because they are going to come to me, including the Democrats and everybody else, they're going to come to me. They're going to want to negotiate.”

So let me get this straight. The guy who is selling himself as the greatest negotiator in history who will singlehandedly bring the US the greatest trade deals ever, WANTS to lower taxes on the wealthy, HAS a plan for rates to be 25% on the wealthy, yet states rates will go UP from the current 39.6% because he will have to negotiate!?? What?  He would seem to be losing that negotiation.

Trump style negotiation involves stating you want something absurd and in the end you get what you really want. He talks about it at length in The Art of the Deal.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 05:56:31 PM »

Interesting. He's backstabbing all the fiscal conservatives now that he has the nomination. HAHAHA

Man, this is sweet, sweet, irony.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 06:01:52 PM »

Trump style negotiation involves stating you want something absurd and in the end you get what you really want. He talks about it at length in The Art of the Deal.

Well the question that some reporter will have to ask now is: Do you want taxes on the rich to go up or are you just saying you think Congress will force you to raise taxes on the rich?
Fargobison

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2016, 06:06:28 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2016, 06:14:03 PM by Fargobison »

Who exactly is Trump negotiating with right now? He isn't the president, his should be selling his tax plan as his vision and not discrediting it.

You kind of lose your negotiating power when you admit what you want is nothing but a big bluff.

Also if Trump wins, isn't the GOP very likely going to still control the government? Does he think Ryan and McConnell are going to pound the table for higher taxes?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 05:22:44 AM »

I find it fascinating how the same people who condemned Cruz for shutting the government down over his intransigence is now up in arms that Trump is basically saying, he'll negotiate a deal, try to get as much as he wants but realizes he won't get everything.

What the hell is the problem here, except for the fact that you basically don't like Trump and everything he says and does is going to be twisted against him, even if means taking you guys are embracing Cruzite brinksmanship?

Jesus screaming Christ, he's calling for an end to the federal minimum wage now

It's disgraceful how the media that eviscerated Howard Dean for making a funny noise is giving Trump a pass on everything.

Thats actually considerable progress considering how in the last cycle, Romney went down flat on his face saying he opposed the minimum wage only to flip flop afterwards and say he supported raising it.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 05:36:14 AM »

Who exactly is Trump negotiating with right now? He isn't the president, his should be selling his tax plan as his vision and not discrediting it.

You kind of lose your negotiating power when you admit what you want is nothing but a big bluff.

Also if Trump wins, isn't the GOP very likely going to still control the government? Does he think Ryan and McConnell are going to pound the table for higher taxes?

A marginal % is not a vision. People don't man the barricades for 20% instead of 19%. Reducing vision to a number on a spreadsheet is just that sort of thinking that has put the likes of Ryan and the entirety of movement conservatives out of touch with reality.

What you guys are insisting on is going into the fall with a handicap. That is going all the way refusing to compromise just like Romney did, and letting the Democrats wrap the shutdown and wrap instransigence right around the nominee's neck.  Its like we demand our nominee have a stupid strategy.

This is why we cannot have nice things. When it was Romney, he had to play all of these stupid little games and it was death by a thousand paper cuts against Obama. We need to give our candidates some manuervering room or the Democrats will kick the GOP's rear from here to the end of the universe.

Nixon did not have this problem. Reagan, did not have this problem. Bush did not have this problem, although it was beginning to be a problem at that point. Okay, nominee X, here is the list of everything you cannot deviate from and if you dare deviate, we will get mad and stay home. Its time for Conservatives to grow the frig up.

You want lower taxes, fine. You want competitive taxes, fine. You want this specific number or god forbid its fire and brimstone, no deals! Grow up!
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 06:09:26 AM »

Yes, the double standard is beyond sickening, but I expect nothing less from the lamestream media. Trump is becoming more and more like the Washington establishment/insider/politicians whom he despises by changing his mind of these issues every day and his supporters are still rallying behind him because he's "saying what he wants!" whereas Mitt Romney was portrayed as a Massachusetts moderate-turned-severely-conservative flip flopping typical politician.

Lyin' Ted Cruz actually DID have a point when he said that the media is [somewhat] responsible for getting Trump elected with all the free airtime he's received. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies