If abortion is made illegal, should there be a punishment?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:34:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  If abortion is made illegal, should there be a punishment?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: SKIP
Yes, equal death sentences for both

Yes, equal life sentences for both

Yes, equal sentences for both

Yes, equal fines for both

Yes, death/life

Yes, life/sentence

Yes, life/fine

Yes, sentence/fine

Yes, longer sentence+bigger fine/shorter sentence+smaller fine

No

Other(PLEASE EXPLAIN)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: If abortion is made illegal, should there be a punishment?  (Read 1673 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2016, 06:14:51 PM »

Death means the death penalty, life means a life sentence, sentence means time in jail.

In other words: Should there be a punishment for a crime and if so what?
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 09:08:52 PM »

Death means the death penalty, life means a life sentence, sentence means time in jail.

If I was pro-life, then I would probably advocate a lot of jail time for the doctor and an extremely large fine (if possible, based on her income) for the woman--a fine which can be eliminated if this woman will testify against the doctor who performed her abortion.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 09:15:07 PM »

If I was pro-life, then I would probably advocate a lot of jail time for the doctor and an extremely large fine (if possible, based on her income) for the woman--a fine which can be eliminated if this woman will testify against the doctor who performed her abortion.

Thank you!!!

I appreciate the fellow pro-choicers voting no, crime should not be punished.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 04:17:52 PM »

I think abortion should be legal, so I voted No.

I can't really say how I would feel if I thought abortion should be illegal. It's like asking, "If you were alive in the eighteenth century, would you be alive in the early eighteenth century or the late eighteenth century?"
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 03:29:33 PM »

Whether you agree with banning it or not, if it is banned, it would have to have some sort of punishment. If it was made a crime, then people who broke the rule would be criminals, and would therefore have to be treated that way. It doesn't make sense not too.

Also, I used to be very for banning it, now I realize that banning it would be impractical and counter productive.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 11:01:40 PM »

No, just suspend the doctor's license. Revoke if there have been too many infractions.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 10:49:05 AM »

Whether you agree with banning it or not, if it is banned, it would have to have some sort of punishment. If it was made a crime, then people who broke the rule would be criminals, and would therefore have to be treated that way. It doesn't make sense not too.

Also, I used to be very for banning it, now I realize that banning it would be impractical and counter productive.

This basically.

If it is illegal then life in prison or death penalty for all.  If you are going to make it illegal and just let the woman off Scotfree then you are just making a mockery of "human life" and the law in general.  Time to stop making up stupid laws just to feel good inside.  Get your jollies doing something else.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 11:29:23 AM »

There would have to be a very severe punishment, which is why criminalizing abortion is a stupid idea.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 01:59:38 PM »

Illegal offenses must carry a punishment or it means nothing for them to be illegal, no?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 04:49:48 PM »

Punish the doctor, not the woman. This is an easy one.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 04:58:07 PM »

Obviously a death sentence, but only for those that made abortion illegal in the first place. Problem solved.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 01:27:52 AM »

Obviously a death sentence, but only for those that made abortion illegal in the first place. Problem solved.

Death penalty for people who made it illegal to kill what they believe as living human beings (which is not a crazy belief at all)?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 11:10:41 PM »

I tend to think that the woman receiving the abortion is as much of a victim as the living fetus.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 11:03:25 AM »

Death penalty for people who made it illegal to kill what they believe as living human beings (which is not a crazy belief at all)?

? I'm answering the question, if abortion is made illegal then obviously a death sentence. They can believe whatever they want, but until the point of viability their not living human beings. Those that decide to destroy women's lives deserve the death penalty, plus my post was pretty obviously a joke.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 12:16:32 PM »

If abortion was made a crime, shouldn't there be punishment? What is the point, otherwise? I assume it would be made illegal at least partially by people who see it as murder (or something like that), so how could they justify not imposing some sort of serious punishment if that is how they see it?

Good thing that would be unconstitutional, and so such thoughts on this are just pipe dreams Smiley
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 12:53:52 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2016, 12:56:51 PM by Santander »

Despite my general social conservatism, I'm rather ambivalent on abortion issues, so I guess that makes me somewhat pro-choice. Because of that, I don't really care about the punishment for abortions either. However, I draw the line at sex-selective abortions, and I believe that there needs to be severe punishments associated with them to eliminate the importation of such disgusting practices into our society. I also believe it should be illegal for medical providers to divulge the sex of a fetus until it is no longer legal to have a regular abortion, with fines and imprisonment for those who break the law.

If any type of abortion is illegal, then yes, performing such actions must have consequences for everyone involved. The moral quicksand upon which that lies is one reason I choose to err on the pro-choice side of most abortion issues.
Human
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »

No (normal)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 09:22:51 PM »

If abortion was made a crime, shouldn't there be punishment? What is the point, otherwise? I assume it would be made illegal at least partially by people who see it as murder (or something like that), so how could they justify not imposing some sort of serious punishment if that is how they see it?

Good thing that would be unconstitutional, and so such thoughts on this are just pipe dreams Smiley

A view can be, that laws are supposed to reflect morals and ideals of a society, and as abortion is wrong, but not equivalent to a homicide, that it should be illegal, but there is no need for the punishment towards the mother, who could also be a victim, along with the fetus.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 01:59:06 AM »

Yeah. Crime has to carry a punishment or there's no point in making such a crime. Ultimately it would have to be on a case by case basis based on timing of the abortion, previous criminal record, etc - but the doctor should always be punished more harshly than the mother.
Weiner/Holder
Rookie
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 12:59:05 AM »

This is a very delicate issue. I'm not sure first offenders should be punished harshly but do agree the practice should be stopped except for the cases of dead fetuses, hazard to the mother's life, incest, and rape. Sensitivity should be given to both sides.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 03:02:39 AM »

If a doctor has done them in the past, I'd agree with arresting them and charging them with breaking the law and making it like 5 years for the first offense. If they have a record of doing them prior and they have done them after the law has been passed. They would also lose their license to practice medicine.

Do it again - without a license? Life without possibility of parole.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies