FL/OH/PA Quinnipiac: Close races everywhere (Trump +4 in OH, Clinton +1 in FL/PA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:50:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  FL/OH/PA Quinnipiac: Close races everywhere (Trump +4 in OH, Clinton +1 in FL/PA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FL/OH/PA Quinnipiac: Close races everywhere (Trump +4 in OH, Clinton +1 in FL/PA  (Read 6928 times)
john cage bubblegum

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.96

« on: May 10, 2016, 08:43:13 AM »

If Clinton really is up 6-7 points like the national polling averages suggest, there's almost no way these can be the correct numbers in these states.  Perhaps it's just that Trump really is very strong in specifically OH/PA, but is still down by 6-7 nationally by performing poorly elsewhere.  I'd still have to see Pennsylvania vote 5 points to the right of country (and Ohio 10 points!) to believe it though.

OTOH, Trump may be receiving a temporary bounce from wrapping up his nomination while Hillary is still nominally in a race against Bernie.  We'll need more polls to know for sure.

john cage bubblegum

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 01:16:53 PM »

So do these polls (meaning all Florida polls) take into account the recent influx of Puerto Ricans into the state?

Well, they have a whiter electorate than 2012 everywhere, which is suspect but plausible if Trump supercharges turnout with downscale white men.

I don't really understand how that is possible. Demographic changes are much more well-studied than this poll. They can't know what the final turnout will really look like, but the demographic makeup of the eligible voter electorate is well-understood. Even with higher white voter turnout this year, to be whiter than 2012 would take a BIG increase in white turnout - Something they cannot predict right now.

The increase by 2-3 points of the non-white share of voters in Presidential elections since 1992 has been quite consistent.  It's something that has transcended individual elections.  I know Trump is a unique candidate, and perhaps he is energizing racist and blue-collar whites, but he's also energizing Latinos and other minority groups.  I think those factors will be a wash, and we'll see another 2-3 point increase.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies