OpEd: This is how fascism comes to America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:56:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  OpEd: This is how fascism comes to America
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: OpEd: This is how fascism comes to America  (Read 4752 times)
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2016, 11:27:18 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/this-is-how-fascism-comes-to-america/2016/05/17/c4e32c58-1c47-11e6-8c7b-6931e66333e7_story.html
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 11:29:21 AM »

A lot of Republicans don't care about conservatism and this election proves it.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 03:16:19 PM »

Vanilla Nationalism aligned with the conservative movement is not Fascism.  We used to have nationalist planks in both parties in this country, Harry Truman wasn't a Fascist, but you would call him one today.  Pursuing The nations interest BEFORE the interests of others isn't Fascism, it's common sense based on logic and reason.       
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 03:34:14 PM »

Vanilla Nationalism aligned with the conservative movement is not Fascism.  We used to have nationalist planks in both parties in this country, Harry Truman wasn't a Fascist, but you would call him one today.  Pursuing The nations interest BEFORE the interests of others isn't Fascism, it's common sense based on logic and reason.        

Don't touch Harry Truman with your dirty hands. Harry Truman is the guy who gave us UN, NATO, Marshall Plan, etc., etc. He was the first US president who came to Mexico City and paid homage to the victims of American invasion in 1847 (just so that you know).

He was the guy who knew that America's interests involve cooperation with the rest of the world.

Trump does not have America's interests in mind: he does not know what these are and he does not care to learn. What he cares about is his own ego. He is willing to destroy America and the world to satisfy it.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 04:08:36 PM »

My point is that nationalism is mainstream and always was represented by both parties to some extent, until dems started going nuts in 68 and Republican elites went ultra-internationalist on a few issues more recently. 

People seem to be dense about "cooperation".  It isn't a goal in itself.  You build partnerships when it makes sense and you don't when it doesn't.  You don't "cooperate" when it harms you severely.  Apparently that is a Fascist doctrine that Truman and FDR subscribed to and is now horrifying.                 
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 04:22:09 PM »

My point is that nationalism is mainstream and always was represented by both parties to some extent, until dems started going nuts in 68 and Republican elites went ultra-internationalist on a few issues more recently.  

People seem to be dense about "cooperation".  It isn't a goal in itself.  You build partnerships when it makes sense and you don't when it doesn't.  You don't "cooperate" when it harms you severely.  Apparently that is a Fascist doctrine that Truman and FDR subscribed to and is now horrifying.                

You invent a straw man. Nobody in US politics has ever objected to puting US interests first, and no prominent US politician has every done anything else. If any US presidential candidate has ever acted against US interests, it is Donald Trump. In fact, the only nationalist candidate in this race in the sense of Truman/FDR/Eisenhower/Reagan/Bush/Kennedy, you name it, is Hillary Clinton.

The choice in this election is very clear. If you care about the United States of America, you vote Hillary Clinton. If you want to destroy America and its way of life, you vote Donald Trump. As simple as that.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 04:30:59 PM »

If Americans want to elect a facist President, then so be it. We need to learn our lesson.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 05:14:09 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2016, 05:18:59 PM by AmericanNation »

People seem to be dense about "cooperation".  It isn't a goal in itself.  You build partnerships when it makes sense and you don't when it doesn't.  You don't "cooperate" when it harms you severely.  Apparently that is a Fascist doctrine that Truman and FDR subscribed to and is now horrifying.                

You invent a straw man. Nobody in US politics has ever objected to puting US interests first, and no prominent US politician has every done anything else. If any US presidential candidate has ever acted against US interests, it is Donald Trump. In fact, the only nationalist candidate in this race in the sense of Truman/FDR/Eisenhower/Reagan/Bush/Kennedy, you name it, is Hillary Clinton.

The choice in this election is very clear. If you care about the United States of America, you vote Hillary Clinton. If you want to destroy America and its way of life, you vote Donald Trump. As simple as that.

Maybe walk through how that would be true in a linear fashion... I'm guessing you can't because it's probably impossible.

Hillary Clinton has never done anything (accomplishments... she has committed crimes and destroyed things), much less something in the interest of the country.  She has accepted money from foreign governments and their agents, who obviously have interests conflicting with the United States (by definition).  

Trump hasn't been bribed by foreigners, is a builder, and a successful negotiator.  

The proof is when you bring up changing trade deals or immigration.  Both issues need to be addressed to prevent continued harm to the country (obviously).  The Dems and some GOPers freak out like you're worshiping the devil if you advocate a pro-American position.  

Hillary Clinton has quite possibly staked out an anti-American position on every conceivable issue... Trying to think of an exception is something I don't have the time to research.  It would be like finding a needle in a haystack.      

It is in her nature to pander to small or fictional grievances in order to gain votes... actually acting out your panders to fictional grievers is by definition harmful to the country.  Additionally, the political art of forming and encouraging the phantom grievance groups has a dividing effect that is harful to the nation particularly from a nationalist perspective.  Anti-marxism and nationalism in america tend to go together, so Hillary can't be a nationalist because of her proximity to neo-marxist acttivities.     
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 05:27:20 PM »

Amen. The mask has been revealed and all that rhetoric about "muh constitution" and "muh small government" was just rhetoric and nothing more.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 05:56:53 PM »

Amen. The mask has been revealed and all that rhetoric about "muh constitution" and "muh small government" was just rhetoric and nothing more.

...basically.  It is kind of complicated.  I have often wondered if a national candidates ideological scorecard matters when weighed against other factors like:
1) ability to win
2) ability to call out democrat/media crap effectively
etc.

If you are a constitutional-ist and a federalist, than just keep insane democrats out of the white house and govern from the legislature and the states... like you should.

Trump will be directly involved in:
1)appointing non-lunatic judges
2)conducting a sane foreign policy
3)cutting a trade deal or two 
4)boarder security / immigration reform

5)maybe reigning in the lunatic EPA
6)appointing a cabinet obviously

Everything else is the states or congressional proposal/deal making.
so, really who cares how pure the guy is.  Democrats can't have the white house is the bottom line. 

Trumps will get 2 major issues done personally (the nationalist two) and delegate the rest to party loyalists and conservatives. 
I can live with that... It's pretty reasonable.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 06:37:48 PM »

Vanilla Nationalism aligned with the conservative movement is not Fascism.  We used to have nationalist planks in both parties in this country, Harry Truman wasn't a Fascist, but you would call him one today.  Pursuing The nations interest BEFORE the interests of others isn't Fascism, it's common sense based on logic and reason.       

Trump isn't just pushing nationalism. He's going full "palingenetic populist ultra-nationalism" with a dash of violence on top for that extra-fascist touch. All we're missing in a paramilitary wearing gold "T" armbands.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 06:41:05 PM »

I really fear for this country if Trump somehow becomes president. That will probably lead to the end of the Dollar as the reserve currency and then the sh**t really hits the fan. I would not be surprised if there were massacres in America by Trump supporting forces.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 06:43:26 PM »

Trump hasn't been bribed by foreigners,
an assertion i would not wager money on
You must be logged in to read this quote.
*snort*
You must be logged in to read this quote.
well ok, that's true, in the same way that bernie madoff was a "successful negotiator".
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 06:58:16 PM »

If Americans want to elect a facist President, then so be it. We need to learn our lesson.
One thing is for certain.  If we elect Trump, we deserve whatever happens.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 07:03:45 PM »

If you elect Trump, you deserve whatever. But we are innocent!
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 07:10:37 PM »

NO. If America goes down we're taking the rest of the world with us, or at least Mexico.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 07:15:20 PM »

NO. If America goes down we're taking the rest of the world with us, or at least Mexico.

Oh, yeah, innocence is not a defense. We will be screwed horribly, I have no doubts of that whatsoever. Really, if Trump is elected I am building a bunker somewhere in the mountains to survive the next decade. BUT WE ARE NOT THE ONES WHO MADE IT HAPPEN!!!
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 07:20:56 PM »

Oh, yeah, innocence is not a defense. We will be screwed horribly, I have no doubts of that whatsoever. Really, if Trump is elected I am building a bunker somewhere in the mountains to survive the next decade. BUT WE ARE NOT THE ONES WHO MADE IT HAPPEN!!!
If Mexico had bothered to control their borders at all for the last 50 years Trump would not be where he is today.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 07:38:05 PM »

I really fear for this country if Trump somehow becomes president. That will probably lead to the end of the Dollar as the reserve currency and then the sh**t really hits the fan. I would not be surprised if there were massacres in America by Trump supporting forces.

Guerrilla forces striking from the hills and fields of the US against Trump's Gold Berets (think gold cloaks ala GoT).  That kind of civil war might have excited me 15 years ago, but now I just want to be left the f alone.  I have my Italian passport (hooray jure sanguinis laws) so I'm ready to go if he's elected.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 07:39:33 PM »

If Mexico had bothered to control their borders at all for the last 50 years Trump would not be where he is today.

No. You are, pretty much, flat out wrong in every way imaginable.

"Controling the borders" is like controling the sea: if the water levels are very different, water will flow no matter what you do. And here the difference is dramatic, so controling it is pretty much impossible. In any case, a Mexican government that would have "controlled the borders" (or, at least, gave it a decent try) would have been a nasty and brutal dictatorship, which, by itself, would have only generated larger migration flows than what you see today. Finally, even if there had been no Mexican migrants whatsoever (which, by the way, would have implied lower standards of living for most Americans), Trump would have found something equally ridiculous to base his campaign on.

You know, there is an old joke about that old Armenian guy dying. So, he calls up his family and tells them: "listen to my last command: take care of the Jews." So, everybody is surprized: they guy himself had never shown much concern about the Jews in his life. "Why the Jews, grandpa?" asks one of them. "When they are done with the Jews, they will switch on to us" responds the old guy. Fascism does not need Jews or Mexicans: it only needs some identifiable group to resent. Blacks would have served the need admirably, methinks.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 08:20:21 PM »

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."

- H. L. Mencken and RogueBeaver's signature
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 09:21:42 PM »

Yep
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 09:22:48 PM »

edgy
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 11:34:04 PM »

Trump does not have America's interests in mind: he does not know what these are and he does not care to learn. What he cares about is his own ego. He is willing to destroy America and the world to satisfy it.

I really like this quote. Do you mind if I put it in my signature?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2016, 11:40:58 PM »

I really like this quote. Do you mind if I put it in my signature?

Be my guest Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies