WaPo/ABC National: Trump +2, Clinton +2 w/ Romney (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:00:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  WaPo/ABC National: Trump +2, Clinton +2 w/ Romney (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WaPo/ABC National: Trump +2, Clinton +2 w/ Romney  (Read 2809 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« on: May 22, 2016, 12:26:18 AM »

Why are people lighting their hair on fire over polls in May? If we go by polls in May, Jimmy Carter was coasting to a landslide in 1976 and relatively easy reelection in 1980. Obviously, everyone in May 1988 knew Michael Dukakis was heading towards a landslide victory after eight years of Republican rule. And, of course, GWHB and Ross Perot were locked in a tight battle with little known Arkansas Governor Bill Clinton in third place.

Let's step back and look at the facts here. Polling is really all over the place right now. The Republican primaries are over and Republicans are largely rallying to their nominee. The Democratic primary is still being heavily contested. I can't say I like polls like these, but I'm not worried right now. The point at which I'll be very concerned with polling like this is after Labor Day.

Democrats/lefties tend to be lame debbie downers and constantly think the sky is falling. I still remember in October 2008 when the lefty blogosphere was in full scale panic mode about a few polls showing Obama up "only" 5-6 points in PA...when most showed him up double digits. lol

Then again, maybe if people weren't dumb enough to believe Hillary was a lock, this wouldn't be that shocking to them. Seriously, it should not be surprising to anyone that the country could possibly vote for Trump when 46% of them voted for Sarah Palin to be an old man's heartbeat away from the presidency. Interestingly, Trump is actually at 46% in this poll.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 12:38:23 AM »

Why are people lighting their hair on fire over polls in May? If we go by polls in May, Jimmy Carter was coasting to a landslide in 1976 and relatively easy reelection in 1980. Obviously, everyone in May 1988 knew Michael Dukakis was heading towards a landslide victory after eight years of Republican rule. And, of course, GWHB and Ross Perot were locked in a tight battle with little known Arkansas Governor Bill Clinton in third place.

Let's step back and look at the facts here. Polling is really all over the place right now. The Republican primaries are over and Republicans are largely rallying to their nominee. The Democratic primary is still being heavily contested. I can't say I like polls like these, but I'm not worried right now. The point at which I'll be very concerned with polling like this is after Labor Day.

Democrats/lefties tend to be lame debbie downers and constantly think the sky is falling. I still remember in October 2008 when the lefty blogosphere was in full scale panic mode about a few polls showing Obama up "only" 5-6 points in PA...when most showed him up double digits. lol

Then again, maybe if people weren't dumb enough to believe Hillary was a lock, this wouldn't be that shocking to them. Seriously, it should not be surprising to anyone that the country could possibly vote for Trump when 46% of them voted for Sarah Palin to be an old man's heartbeat away from the presidency. Interestingly, Trump is actually at 46% in this poll.
Still you must admit it is concerning for the left that Hillary has gone from putting Louisiana and West Virginia in play to now at serious risk to lose Michigan and Pennsylvania to Donald effing Trump

Yeah, polls change. In fact, they've gone back and forth multiple times already. In 2013-2014 she was leading by double digits. Then in fall 2015 it was a dead heat. Then she opened up a double digit lead again as Trump got more attacks from his competitors and the media. Now it's a dead heat again as he gets a post nomination bump. None of this is particularly surprising. She'll likely pull ahead after she clinches the nomination. He'll probably pull ahead after the RNC bounce, only to be reversed by the DNC bounce. Only when that recedes will we see the true state of the race.

And no, I'm not being a hypocrite either. If you want to go back in my posting history, I was predicting a ~5 point win for her even when she was beating everyone by 20+ points. That's still my prediction. I've not wavered at all, even with all the ups and downs over the past years. Only in September when we start to get a true picture of the race will I consider a revision.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 12:56:06 AM »

She's only +2 with Romney pulling 22%? That's a bit hard to believe.

It'd be interesting to see the numbers in a Clinton/Trump/Romney/Sanders race.

Oh, I didn't even notice those Romney numbers. What total garbage. As if two Republicans would combine for nearly 60% of the vote?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 05:08:23 PM »

The nation has 5 or so months to wake up against such as dangerous candidate as Trump... I hope it does.

Secured borders (?!?), realistic military budgets/intervention, actual reform instead of hopeless political chit chat.. OH MY!!

You're a Trump hack now? That was quick, lol.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 05:10:07 PM »

Clinton will obviously rise a bit after she finally puts Bernie to bed in early June, but it's been pretty clear that her campaign is slow to realize the danger that Trump poses her. If they don't start taking this challenge seriously, they'll find themselves seriously on the wrong foot here.

Trump is an absolute master of both new and old media and one of the most gifted self-promoters ever. He is not to be trifled with.

What? Her campaign has known from the start this was going to be a fierce battle. It's all the pundits and the rank and file that thought it would be a lock. Hopefully that fiction begins to get dispelled.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 05:31:48 PM »

Clinton campaign looking a lot like the Udall campaign. Only concerned about the women vote/issues and then blown out by men on election day. It doesn't really matter if your winning women by 10 then lose men by 20.

Udall ran a terrible campaign, but he hardly got "blown out" on election day. He lost by 2 points, even though he "should" have lost by more 5.

He lost men by 17, won women by 8. Hick lost men by 8 points and one campaign focused solely on women issues.

Considering the GE campaign has barely even begun, perhaps it's a tad premature to argue what her campaign has focused too much on and/or not enough on.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies