Southern Regional Committee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:25:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Southern Regional Committee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Southern Regional Committee  (Read 13601 times)
You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2016, 12:20:06 PM »

I'm not opposed to letting the Governor make an appointment with approval from the legislature - I'm a proponent of filling a seat and ensuring our proper representation as quickly as possible. If we were to go the special election route, I think it should only be in the first two months and the election should occur as quickly as possible - two weeks is too long in my opinion to wait.
The legislature could act to make it as soon as possible. But when I said within two weeks, I meant to imply that two weeks was the longest to wait. I would also prefer it to be as soon as possible.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2016, 12:24:23 PM »

I'm not opposed to letting the Governor make an appointment with approval from the legislature - I'm a proponent of filling a seat and ensuring our proper representation as quickly as possible. If we were to go the special election route, I think it should only be in the first two months and the election should occur as quickly as possible - two weeks is too long in my opinion to wait.
The legislature could act to make it as soon as possible. But when I said within two weeks, I meant to imply that two weeks was the longest to wait. I would also prefer it to be as soon as possible.
I understand, I just don't really see the need to allow legislators the opportunity to push it back that far. I see no reason why a special election couldn't occur on the next Friday, provided the resignation happens 48 or 72 hours before Friday at 12:00 am.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »

Out of interest would you mandate that Governors must appoint from the same party if possible?
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2016, 12:46:35 PM »

Out of interest would you mandate that Governors must appoint from the same party if possible?
Sure.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2016, 12:49:28 PM »

I'll have to think about it - I could definitely see it if the governor didn't have to get approval from the legislature. I see the arguments for it, but I'd also like the opportunity for the governor/legislature to pick the person most qualified for the job, and that may not necessarily be someone from the same party.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2016, 04:12:29 AM »

Another idea could be to always have an appointment, and then a special election within two weeks if it's >28 days away. That would fix the problem of having a vacancy for too long, without taking away power from the voters, or making the gubernatorial appointment any more important than it needs to be.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2016, 10:02:38 AM »

Another idea could be to always have an appointment, and then a special election within two weeks if it's >28 days away. That would fix the problem of having a vacancy for too long, without taking away power from the voters, or making the gubernatorial appointment any more important than it needs to be.
If that is the case, I would prefer modeling it off of most states and have the governor make an appointment with legislative approval. What made you settle on >28 days? If someone resigns 29 days before and election is ~two weeks later, the person elected would have the spot for two weeks before another election. I think >60 days (or 8 weeks, whatever works) would be more feasible.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2016, 10:37:55 AM »

60 seems like a long time, but 28 seems too short. For that purpose, I propose a moderate hero plan, so to speak: If the next election is more than 45 days away from the vacancy, an appointment must occur and a special election must be held as soon as possible, in which the new incumbent may or may not take part in.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2016, 10:56:33 AM »

60 seems like a long time, but 28 seems too short. For that purpose, I propose a moderate hero plan, so to speak: If the next election is more than 45 days away from the vacancy, an appointment must occur and a special election must be held as soon as possible, in which the new incumbent may or may not take part in.
What difference do you think the extra fifteen days make?

I'm inclined to favor a principle vote on the matter. I'd prefer leaving it to the governor's approval with the legislatures approval - I see 60 days (or 8 weeks) or special as a reasonable "middle ground" between the two sides of the coin, not only for strengthening the executive and legislative branches, but also so we don't have an over-saturation of elections.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2016, 11:29:45 AM »

None in particular, just that 60 days seems a bit long to me and 28 too short. Just floating it.
I'm inclined to favor a principle vote on the matter. I'd prefer leaving it to the governor's approval with the legislatures approval - I see 60 days (or 8 weeks) or special as a reasonable "middle ground" between the two sides of the coin, not only for strengthening the executive and legislative branches, but also so we don't have an over-saturation of elections.
This also seems reasonable.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2016, 04:54:15 PM »

Understood. I'd personally go for 42 days (6 Weeks) I feel it necessary for that new incumbent is able to make their own legacy if they do run for re-election and that should be enough time for that person to do such.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2016, 07:04:46 PM »

Keep in mind that the Senate being smaller now, that a vacancy would have a more dire impact than it did previously. So I am definately for a Governor appoint regardless of how it is structured or what it is followed by.

As for legislature or special election, I could go for either.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2016, 07:22:48 PM »

I think there is a consensus that the governor should make the initial appointment, whether that be for the remainder of the term or just a certain amount of time. I would motion that a principle vote be held on what the second step would be: approval from legislature or special election. There could be an additional vote that if special election is to win, what day into the vacancy it should be. I'll go ahead and put forward 8 weeks, and NeverAgain suggested 6 weeks.

I think those two votes would settle the issue, unless I am mistaken.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2016, 08:12:35 PM »

I think there is a consensus that the governor should make the initial appointment, whether that be for the remainder of the term or just a certain amount of time. I would motion that a principle vote be held on what the second step would be: approval from legislature or special election.

Agreed.

I will propose a third option: special election if it's > X weeks, legislative approval if it's < X but > Y weeks, and simple gubernatorial appointment if it's < Y weeks. (For the sake of example, let's say X = 8 and Y = 2.) Now, this might be another one of my over-complex solutions that sound great to me but silly to others, but it's word floating out there.

Of the two ideas already proposed, part of me supports a special election for the sake of democracy, mandate of the people, etc., but part of me supports legislative approval for the sake of legislative activity and avoiding voter fatigue. I think my option is good because it retains special elections while not causing voter fatigue, yet it also doesn't give the Governor the ability to appoint a Senator to a two-month term.

Principle Vote

Question: after the Gubernatorial appointment to temporarily fill a vacancy in the Senate, presuming there is greater than a to-be-determined period of time left until the next election for that seat, how shall the Senate vacancy be filled?

[ ] Legislative Approval

[ ] Special Election

[ ] Special Election before a certain time threshold, Legislative Approval after

Vote will last for 24 hours, or until all members have voted.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2016, 08:15:21 PM »

Principle Vote

[3] Legislative Approval

[2] Special Election

[1] Special Election before a certain time threshold, Legislative Approval after
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2016, 08:19:10 PM »

Principle Vote

[3] Legislative Approval

[2] Special Election

[1] Special Election before a certain time threshold, Legislative Approval after
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2016, 08:34:47 PM »

I don't really see the point of option two, considering everyone seemed to be in agreement that there should be some sort of appointment process so a seat doesn't sit vacant for too long/having a special a week or two before the full election. The only question was what that time frame should be, not whether or not we should have a time frame. Nevertheless:

Principle Vote

[1] Legislative Approval

[3] Special Election

[2] Special Election before a certain time threshold, Legislative Approval after (wording makes it a little confusing here)

The legislature provides enough of a check to ensure the governor is appointing someone who is qualified for the job. Between electing a new governor every four months and likely electing a legislature every two months, I have full faith that these two elected entities can adequately ensure that we are being properly represented.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2016, 08:54:33 PM »

Principle Vote

[1] Legislative Approval

[3] Special Election

[2] Special Election before a certain time threshold, Legislative Approval after (wording makes it a little confusing here)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2016, 11:19:20 PM »

Principle Vote

[3] Legislative Approval

[2] Special Election

Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2016, 11:45:28 PM »

I'll let Leinad rule, but Special Election before threshold/Legislative Approval after has passed.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2016, 01:16:04 PM »

I call for a principle vote now on after what date there should be an appointment instead of a special election. It seems the two most supported options are 8 weeks and 6 weeks.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2016, 04:08:30 PM »

I would be fine if we just went down the middle on 7 avoiding a vote, but either way.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2016, 04:20:07 PM »

I would be fine if we just went down the middle on 7 avoiding a vote, but either way.
I'd prefer 6, but I wouldn't mind if we had 7.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2016, 04:24:06 PM »

I'd prefer 6, but I wouldn't mind if we had 7.

Agreed, I just go with the thing that's most efficient. 
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2016, 04:33:30 PM »

A side point that I brought up last night with Leinad:

All fiveof us are active and are usually online in the evenings. Would there be any interest in the five of us logging onto Mibbit at some point together and hammering through the constitution there? We could provide constituents with what the chatroom name will be and also publish a log of the message afterwards. I think that could really speed up the process for us.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies