How would you vote in U.K. party leadership elections? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:33:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How would you vote in U.K. party leadership elections? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would you vote in U.K. party leadership elections?  (Read 1148 times)
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« on: May 16, 2021, 09:51:06 AM »

Conservative:
1975: Thatcher
1989: Thatcher
1990: Thatcher then Major
1995: Redwood
1997: Hague
2001: Portillo
2005: Davis
2016: Fox then Leadsom
2019: McVey then Johnson
Next: Patel, maybe Truss

Basically the Buckley Rule apart from '97.

The only one I actually voted for was Boris and it was extremely reluctant - I was worried he wasn't a real rightwinger.  I was right that he isn't a real rightwinger but I don't regret backing him because of the 2019 election result.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 04:59:21 PM »

Not criticising you as you know that we can disagree well, but is this because you simply see her as the most right-wing of the likely candidates?

Yes pretty much.

She is also one of the only high profile MPs with views somewhat similar to mine.  Mogg would be another although I support a social market rather than unbridled free market.

However I'm realistic and I realise that the Tories are probably never going back to the good old days of social conservatism and things like SSM and abortion on demand are unfortunately here to stay even if Patel were to get in.

I should also add that while I did have "Priti4PM" in my sig once I'm not actually wild about her or any other politician.  I really struggle to "like" any politician and Patel isn't exactly Miss Congeniality. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies