Should Puerto Rico become a state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:24:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Puerto Rico become a state?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Should Puerto Rico become a state?  (Read 3944 times)
Tartarus Sauce
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 06:52:57 PM »

I couldn't agree more. Both should become states (though I personally prefer to integrate DC into either Virginia or Maryland).

It would have to be Maryland, as the land DC occupies now was all part of Maryland. Virginia got its land back in the 1800s. However, Maryland would have to agree to this, and they never would. Adding DC to the state would turn the state power structure on its head, let alone the other effects.

On the other hand, MD would never have a Republican Governor again and would end up with a legislature as perpetually Democratic as Massachusetts.

Maryland's Democratic party is already holding the record for longest time a state legislature has been in one party's control, so it's already at Massachusetts level. And it's not like Larry Hogan is a "rock the boat" Republican, he's one of the most popular governors at the moment.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2016, 06:55:20 PM »

Do does that mean that there has to be an amendment to repeal the relevant amendment giving DC the electoral votes?

I think that's right.  The best strategy might be to ram a retrocession bill through Congress, which would force the Republicans needed for the 23rd repeal's supermajority and the state governments to cooperate quickly lest insanity ensue
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 06:58:55 PM »

I couldn't agree more. Both should become states (though I personally prefer to integrate DC into either Virginia or Maryland).

It would have to be Maryland, as the land DC occupies now was all part of Maryland. Virginia got its land back in the 1800s. However, Maryland would have to agree to this, and they never would. Adding DC to the state would turn the state power structure on its head, let alone the other effects.

On the other hand, MD would never have a Republican Governor again and would end up with a legislature as perpetually Democratic as Massachusetts.

Maryland's Democratic party is already holding the record for longest time a state legislature has been in one party's control, so it's already at Massachusetts level. And it's not like Larry Hogan is a "rock the boat" Republican, he's one of the most popular governors at the moment.

I think her argument is that a lot of the power brokers in Maryland's government are currently concentrated in Baltimore, and though the Democratic party would become like, Hawaii or Vermont level strong in aggregate, the individuals who would pass the bill would have their personal power diluted when the huge (Democratic-leaning) population center of Montgomery County joins.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 07:07:31 PM »

I think her argument is that a lot of the power brokers in Maryland's government are currently concentrated in Baltimore, and though the Democratic party would become like, Hawaii or Vermont level strong in aggregate, the individuals who would pass the bill would have their personal power diluted when the huge (Democratic-leaning) population center of Montgomery County joins.

I know, the way she listed the benefits though was weak so I just was being a stickler. Tongue
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 10:07:09 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2016, 10:09:44 PM by Virginia »

Right. In reference to the legislature composition, the way I worded it was misleading - I meant the the legislature would become deep blue. MA Republicans were practically teetering on the brink of extinction in 2009, whereas in Maryland, a decent wave (such as 2014) can reduce Democratic power just enough to deny Democrats veto-proof majorities on some legislation (such as experienced with the felon voting rights bill not too long ago). I'm a little curious just how much it would expand Democratic control though, since DC's legislative districts would be massive vote sinks for Democrats due to their concentration and overwhelming numbers. The legislative gerrymanders could get very crafty.

In regards to power structure, what Raph said. Obviously one party control isn't without its own complexities and infighting.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2016, 10:28:21 PM »

Right. In reference to the legislature composition, the way I worded it was misleading - I meant the the legislature would become deep blue. MA Republicans were practically teetering on the brink of extinction in 2009, whereas in Maryland, a decent wave (such as 2014) can reduce Democratic power just enough to deny Democrats veto-proof majorities on some legislation (such as experienced with the felon voting rights bill not too long ago). I'm a little curious just how much it would expand Democratic control though, since DC's legislative districts would be massive vote sinks for Democrats due to their concentration and overwhelming numbers. The legislative gerrymanders could get very crafty.

In regards to power structure, what Raph said. Obviously one party control isn't without its own complexities and infighting.

As someone who originates from the DC suburbs and considers himself both a native Marylander and Washingtonian, I would approve of merging the two districts (ignoring the obvious political quandaries that would generate). 

Good god, though, that would lead to even worse gerrymandering than is already at play.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2016, 04:34:28 PM »

Arguments against DC and Puerto Rico statehood that rest on political calculation (more Democratic senators and Congressmen) remind me of the antebellum period where new states had to be balanced between slave and free ones. Now it has to be balanced between red and blue; the divide is almost as stark.

A solution would be to find a red territory to admit at the same time. I can't think of any, so how about instead the GOP just stops alienating Latinos and African-Americans so they won't view DC and PC as safely Democratic. Every state in the nation has had a senator and congressmen of both parties, even Alaska and Hawaii. PC and DC wouldn't be exceptions, unless the GOP wants them to be (they've never won DC in a pres. election Tongue).
Lothal1
Rookie
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2016, 08:35:08 PM »

Yes. DC should be incorporated into Maryland, though.
No. If Maryland wanted DC it would be part of Maryland by now. Puerto Rico should be a state.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2016, 10:16:16 AM »

Yes, and I think it has a stronger claim than DC. That said, DC should have the authority to set its own budgets and experience more devolution than exists now.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2018, 04:27:57 PM »

I'd support PR becoming a state, and it would be interesting to see how the new US flag would look.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2018, 11:21:48 AM »

I definitely support it.  This shouldn't be a partisian issue, but unfortunately it is (on both sides of the aisle).  Puerto Ricans don't have fair representation, and this would do a good deal to help with that. 
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2018, 07:17:02 AM »

For those saying DC should be incorporated into Maryland rather than becoming its own state, there's no indication Maryland wants it. DC has its own character, distinct from Maryland's. There's no argument for doing things this way except to blunt the impact on Republicans.
ChelseaT
Rookie
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 08:03:49 PM »

No, they should be independent.
ABTars2000
Rookie
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2018, 04:14:13 PM »

If they want it, sure. Same with the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands.

^ This.
And D.C.
This
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2018, 02:37:32 AM »

Does anyone agree with me that PR's language demographics (only about 1 in 5 Puerto Ricans are fluent in English) may cause some problems if it were to become a state?
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2018, 01:16:51 PM »

Yes. The people of Puerto Rico deserve representation.
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2018, 01:17:59 PM »

They voted for it twice and I see no reason why not.

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2018, 02:50:13 PM »

hell yeah brah, Puerto Rico + all other territories + Taiwan, South Korea, Mexico, Canada, South Africa, Israel, and Kuwait.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2018, 01:10:59 PM »

Puerto Rico should probably be granted independence.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies