1010 - Passed the House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:03:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  1010 - Passed the House
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: 1010 - Passed the House  (Read 3315 times)
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2016, 04:15:20 PM »
« edited: August 12, 2016, 10:33:25 AM by Speaker Kent »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Rep. NeverAgain (L-VA)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 04:50:33 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2016, 04:53:35 PM by Classic Conservative »

I strongly oppose, this bill. People do have the right to take their own life, but involving a second party aka the doctor can lead to some unfortunate circumstances. This bill is both morally wrong but you this bill has no checks and balances and the doctor could be some malicious person with bad intentions.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 05:16:24 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2016, 10:54:22 PM by Labor Whip and Representative NeverAgain »

I want to thank 1184AZ for bringing this dreadfully important issue to me.

This is completely common-sense. People in Atlasia deserve the right to die with dignity, without pain, and have the ability to choose their fate and not let these awful terminal diseases control them.

I strongly oppose, this bill. People do have the right to take their own life, but involving a second party aka the doctor can lead to some unfortunate circumstances. This bill is both morally wrong but you this bill has no checks and balances and the doctor could be some malicious person with bad intentions.

There are checks and balances, one being that two doctors AND two independent witnesses must sign off on the request. The thing I find so silly about what you are saying is that for someone to have 'malicious' intent against the patient, they would want the patient to suffer, and not die at ease. This bill is not only fiscally sound for the patient and their family, but it is also morally the right thing to do.

This bill is about letting people die with dignity and respect, not pain and torture. I demand that we as representatives pass this for those in these horrific situations, to let them and their families have peace.

Thank you.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 05:38:25 PM »

I'm with Classic on this one. Doctors should hold to the Hippocratic Oath. Doctors are meant to save life not take it. It's also one of the reasons I oppose abortion.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 05:38:51 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2016, 05:40:41 PM by irresponsible mellennial »

i've gotta say, this is an issue i'm very leery about. not sure how i'll vote. (although, as usual, the esteemed rep. jcl's moronic argument pushes me rather towards the pro- side)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 05:46:44 PM »

i've gotta say, this is an issue i'm very leery about. not sure how i'll vote. (although, as usual, the esteemed rep. jcl's moronic argument pushes me rather towards the pro- side)

Could you explain why you are on the fence, Ms. Evergreen?

I'm with Classic on this one. Doctors should hold to the Hippocratic Oath. Doctors are meant to save life not take it. It's also one of the reasons I oppose abortion.

Mr. JCL, I believe a doctor's duty is to his/her patient and in these situations, the doctor should have the ability to administer that duty in all forms including allowing the patient to die.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »

Could you explain why you are on the fence, Ms. Evergreen?

mostly because it can be very easily abused, although i'm sure the protections in your bill would reduce that. but there's also somewhat of a vague, general sense of wrongness that i'm not sure i can describe.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 07:23:16 AM »

I'm very much in the same boat as evergreen.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 09:00:32 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2016, 09:18:03 AM by Labor Whip and Representative NeverAgain »

So what I am hearing is the concern about the potential for abuse of this system and some general feeling of wrongness. I understand both, but for the first, as Ms. Evergreen pointed out, there are numerous protections against abuse. I have never personally heard, as some have suggested,
of doctors with malicious intent using this system to benefit themselves or others, nor do I see how that would work, although I would not be surprised if that were the case in some of these bills with such protections. But the thing about this bill is that we have numerous protections against abuse such as having four different people having to sign off on the patients request, a waiting period in case patients change their mind, and the patient may at any point opt out of the procedure.

I also want to address the latter point about the 'feeling of wrongness'. I understand that; the idea of one being allowed to take one's life with a physician's assistance is a feeling that cannot be described. But the reason that I know that this must be done is for those terminally ill patients that do not want to bear the burden and continual pain for another 6 months of their life. This bill will give them and their families closure and help ease their pain as they travel to their new step, whatever that may be, in human existence.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 11:38:37 AM »

I have never personally heard, as some have suggested,
of doctors with malicious intent using this system to benefit themselves or others, nor do I see how that would work,
i was thinking more of family members and such
i think i'd feel a lot more comfortable with this if the person actually had to actively trigger the procedure themselves, if that makes sense?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 12:19:42 PM »

I find the highlighted text a bit weak--there's no real safeguards that would keep this from happening.

Also, there should be some stricter methods to determine whether the paitent is "mentally competent" or not.

And I totally agree with evergreen re: letting the paitent actively trigger the procedure themselves.

Logically, I can't make an argument against this. If the person is clear of mind, without a doubt consenting to have this done, and there's no chance things will improve, what grounds could I oppose this? But philosophically, I find it very hard to support this. The cold finality of death seems, shall we say, above our paygrade in some way. It feels like taking the Grim Reaper out on a dinner date. For the entire existence of living things we've been trying, first and foremost, not to die. Maybe that's why this feels wrong?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 04:21:54 PM »

Leinad & Evergreen - I am actually planning on adding an amendment that has a guardian ad litum for the patient like they have with minors in court. They will ensure that whatever is in the best interest of the patient is done, which may mean that it is done without the family's advice.

I am a little confused on what you mean by letting the 'patient actively trigger the procedure by themselves'. Are you suggesting letting the patient kill themselves? If so, the whole point of this bill is to make sure that if a patient chooses this as a way to end their lives, then we should make it supervised and in the best interest of the patient.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 03:11:31 PM »

Could someone explain to me why a child can suffer with a terminal illness with under six months to leave, despite their wishes and/or their parents/guardian's wishes? That's pretty cruel.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 08:54:12 AM »

While there has been no debate for the past 36 hours, I believe there is still more to discuss here, so I will extend the period of debate for an additional 48 hours.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 07:15:24 AM »

I offer the above amendment. It's mostly just clerical and grammatical notes, but there are a few changes.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 07:13:36 PM »

We will now have a 72-hour vote on Representative DKrol's vote.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 09:12:31 AM »

AYE
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 09:33:07 AM »

Aye
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 10:06:10 AM »

aye
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 12:44:06 PM »

Aye.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 02:22:55 PM »

why Pentobarbital, specifically?
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2016, 03:18:12 PM »

The Amendment has passed and has been adopted into the bill.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 10:34:41 PM »

There has been no debate in over six days. We will immediately move to a final vote.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 04:17:48 AM »

My apologies, I had forgotten to add my amendment to do this. Can I motion to end the vote?
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2016, 06:04:54 AM »

Nay
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies