Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2017, 06:26:45 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | |-+  SB 2016-009: Freedom to Drink Act (Passed Senate)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: SB 2016-009: Freedom to Drink Act (Passed Senate)  (Read 909 times)
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2016, 09:52:44 am »
Ignore

The Freedom to Drink Act
1. The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 is hereby repealed.
2. The federal minimum drinking age is now 18.
3. The regions shall each be allowed to each modify the minimum drinking age within the following range:
3a. No region shall be allowed to have a minimum drinking age lower than 16.
3b. No region shall be allowed to have a minimum drinking age higher than 21.
Sponsor: Goldwater

72 hours for debate. I invite the author to speak on the bill.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 01:02:41 am by tmthforu94 »Logged
Blair
Blair2015
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 10:05:32 am »
Ignore

The Freedom To Drink Act
2. The regions shall each be allowed to each determine their own minimum drinking age, with the following exceptions:
2a. No region shall be allowed to have a minimum drinking age lower than 16.
2b. No region shall be allowed to have a minimum drinking age higher than 21.

[/quote]

Sorry to speak before the sponsor, but I'd be happy to have a universal drinking age of 18- 16 seems too low, and frankly 21 seems extremely too high. If we want to let this be a regional issue; I think we should have a smaller range of 18-20

Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 10:30:22 am »
Ignore

The Freedom To Drink Act
2. The regions shall each be allowed to each determine their own minimum drinking age, with the following exceptions:

Sorry to speak before the sponsor, but I'd be happy to have a universal drinking age of 18- 16 seems too low, and frankly 21 seems extremely too high. If we want to let this be a regional issue; I think we should have a smaller range of 18-20

I would be open to that, though I want to hear other people's thoughts first. My main priority is eliminating the federal drinking age of 21, which IMO is inconsistent and unfair when you consider that 18 is old enough to vote, join the military, smoke tobacco, etc. The reason I went with regionalization to accomplish that goal is becasue I thought some people might disagree with a federal minimum age of 18, so this was a sort of compromise  
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:32:46 am by Goldwater »Logged

The result of a neocon and libertarian having a baby while drunk, and leaving it to be raised by hippie liberal wolves.
Here is my attempt and explaining my own confusing and contradictory views
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 10:43:16 am »
Ignore

I like the idea of promoting regional activity by giving them a frame to choose. I think it would be good to include a clause saying that in the event a region does not legislatively mandate a minimum age, a national one is imposed. That way there is a default option in case the regions can't agree on another number.
Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 10:55:25 am »
Ignore

I like the idea of promoting regional activity by giving them a frame to choose. I think it would be good to include a clause saying that in the event a region does not legislatively mandate a minimum age, a national one is imposed. That way there is a default option in case the regions can't agree on another number.

Yeah, that is probably a good idea. The question is, do we go with 21, since it's the current status quo, 16, since it's the lowest minimum, or another number in between?

The result of a neocon and libertarian having a baby while drunk, and leaving it to be raised by hippie liberal wolves.
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 11:38:28 am »
Ignore

Yeah, that is probably a good idea. The question is, do we go with 21, since it's the current status quo, 16, since it's the lowest minimum, or another number in between?
It depends on how we look at this. Since Atlasia had it at 16 and the US has it at 21, would we consider putting it at 18 as an increase or a decrease?

Personally, I'm leaning towards the idea that we ignore what prior laws were in Atlasia and just base it off US policy. I'd prefer lowering it to 18 and letting the regions decide if they want to lower it to 17 or 16.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
YaBB God
Antarctica

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 11:40:13 am »
Ignore

this is a good bill as is, imo

tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 11:51:20 am »
Ignore

this is a good bill as is, imo
Well, if it passes as is and the regions don't act, there will be no restrictions, so my 3-year-old nephew could technically walk into a bar and order a beer.

If you don't want to go the route I suggested, I suppose you could also say that this law won't go into effect until all three regions have passed laws establishing a drinking age.
Benedicamus Domino
Classic Conservative
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 12:07:31 pm »
Ignore

I would support what Tmth said, make sure regions establish laws. I would prefer a national drinking age of 18 though.

"Benjamin Franklin reminded his colleagues at the Constitutional Convention, to begin by bowing their head in prayer. I remind you, we’re going to start saying Merry Christmas again.” Donald John Trump
Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 12:27:08 pm »
Ignore

So, Tmth and Classic, you guys are saying that the federal minimum drinking should be 18, with each region having the option to lower it up to 16, if they choose to do so. Am I correct?

Blair
Blair2015
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 03:44:57 pm »
Ignore

To be more of  pain I'd support having the federal minimum as 18, and only allow the regions to increase it

Santander
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 5.39

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 04:46:54 pm »
Ignore

I would be open to that, though I want to hear other people's thoughts first. My main priority is eliminating the federal drinking age of 21, which IMO is inconsistent and unfair when you consider that 18 is old enough to vote, join the military, smoke tobacco, etc.
FTR, many cities/states have smoking ages higher than 18. You also have to be older than 18 to get married without parental consent in some states, to engage in interstate transport, to get advanced class driver's licenses in some states, and to get an airline transport pilot license, just to name a few.

The fact that the voting age is 18 is a compelling argument to lowering the drinking age, but it's well-established that 18 does not immediately open all the doors to adulthood right away, and there are compelling reasons on the other side, too.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 05:01:26 pm by Santander »Logged

"We can't all be born rich, and handsome, and lucky, and that's why we have a Democratic Party." - Zell Miller

we get it, you're a horrible person.
Y'know, at least Santander embraces and admits to being a piece of s**t.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 10:18:49 pm »
Ignore

18 is the age of maturity. People should be able to drink, smoke, serve in the armed forces, what ever they want this generally isn't illegal. I offer the following amendment.

2. The regions shall each be allowed to each determine their own minimum drinking age. , with the following exceptions:

2a. It is recommended that the regions set that drinking age as 18 years after birth.
3. Any region setting their drinking age over 18 years after birth will suffer a 25% reduction in all monies being given to that region by the federal government.
3a. This penalty can be waived by a simple majority of the Senate and the House of Representatives.
Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 12:06:08 am »
Ignore

Eh, I don't like the idea of having it technically be up to the regions, but limiting their funding if they try to change it. It reminds me too much of the act I am trying to repeal. The amendment is unfriendly.

tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 08:25:37 am »
Ignore

The amendment cannot be recognized until it has a Senate sponsor.
Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 11:04:24 am »
Ignore

Okay, what does everybody think of this amendment?

2. 3. The regions shall each be allowed to each determine their own modify the minimum drinking age, within the following exceptions range:
2a. 3a. No region shall be allowed to have a minimum drinking age lower than 16.
2b. 3b. No region shall be allowed to have a minimum drinking age higher than 21.

(note that I am not officially proposing this amendment yet, I want to hear people's thoughts on it first.)

Pingvin
Pingvin99
YaBB God
Estonia

Political Matrix
E: 5.87, S: 6.70

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 12:24:23 pm »
Ignore

I agree with the amendment.

CXSmith
cxs018
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 02:21:28 pm »
Ignore

I would just like to say that I oppose this bill. Alcohol can be a very dangerous addiction, and we should definitely not be lowering the legal drinking age.

oops this is outdated
Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2016, 04:23:15 pm »
Ignore

Okay, it's been over 24 hours and I there hasn't been very much discussion. I'll just go ahead and officially propose the amendment.

2. 3. The regions shall each be allowed to each determine their own modify the minimum drinking age, within the following exceptions range:
2a. 3a. No region shall be allowed to have a minimum drinking age lower than 16.
2b. 3b. No region shall be allowed to have a minimum drinking age higher than 21.

tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2016, 04:46:48 pm »
Ignore

I support this.

24 hours for objections.
CXSmith
cxs018
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2016, 05:30:52 pm »
Ignore

I'll probably vote Nay regardless, so no objections from me.

oops this is outdated
͡◔ ᴥ ͡◔
darthebearnc
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2016, 06:09:20 pm »
Ignore

This is crazy.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
YaBB God
Peru

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2016, 12:28:12 am »
Ignore

I'll support this bill as it is.

Check this Wink
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=187922.0

Democrats are Red
Republicans are Blue
Dear people of Atlas Forum
I truly love you Smiley

tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 11:14:53 am »
Ignore

The amendment has been adopted. 24 hours extended for any additional debate, then we will proceed to a final vote.
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2016, 06:35:31 pm »
Ignore

Seeing how time has passed, we will now proceed to a final vote. Senators, please vote AYE, NAY or ABSTAIN.
The Freedom to Drink Act
3. The regions shall each be allowed to each modify the minimum drinking age within the following range:
3a. No region shall be allowed to have a minimum drinking age lower than 16.
3b. No region shall be allowed to have a minimum drinking age higher than 21.

Aye
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout