Was Reaganomics beneficial to the USA Econamy long term?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:07:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Was Reaganomics beneficial to the USA Econamy long term?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: -
Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes(D)

No(D)

Yes(Ind/Oth)

No(Ind/Oth)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Was Reaganomics beneficial to the USA Econamy long term?  (Read 2804 times)
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2016, 04:14:37 PM »

Regardless of your opinion of Ronald Reagan, in your opinion was Reaganomics beneficial to the USA economy long term. 
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 04:19:54 PM »

Yes
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 04:26:14 PM »

Just the opposite, actually.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 05:01:46 PM »

Anyone who has looked at a chart showing the evolution of median income in the US before and after 1981 knows the answer.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 05:34:52 PM »

Yes because , up till Reagan was president , the people saw more regulation on business a good things, were willing to pay more in federal taxes so government had more money to spend. Then Reaganomics led to a 20 year boom
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 05:39:01 PM »

Yes because , up till Reagan was president , the people saw more regulation on business a good things, were willing to pay more in federal taxes so government had more money to spend. Then Reaganomics led to a 20 year boom
This is so inaccurate I don't even know where to begin.

Reaganomics was a net negative on America, not so much for its direct effects, but for encouraging all sorts of anti-intellectual, anti-government people to get into government for the sole purpose of destroying it. I believe that the Democrats had gone too far in the expansion of the state, but Reaganomics was not the required prescription.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 11:27:38 PM »

Reaganomics was a net negative on America, not so much for its direct effects, but for encouraging all sorts of anti-intellectual, anti-government people to get into government for the sole purpose of destroying it. I believe that the Democrats had gone too far in the expansion of the state, but Reaganomics was not the required prescription.

if you believe Reagan was a bad president you shouldn't be a republican
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 11:50:26 PM »

lol. MUH SAINT REAGAN!
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 11:59:15 PM »

I worship God, not Ronald Reagan. The Republican Party should start doing the same.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 12:52:48 AM »

I worship God, not Ronald Reagan. The Republican Party should start doing the same.

no they should hold up Lincoln, McKinley, Teddy, IKE, Reagan, HW as its leaders. Republicans have the right to critize Reagan but to consider his economic policies  bad would be  to say dems have better economic polices then the gop
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 06:49:58 AM »

No. Reaganomics is the main reason the national debt is as high as it is today.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 07:42:31 AM »

Yes. Huge tax cuts without base broadeners probably won't work now, but I'm pretty sure cutting your top tax rate from 70% to 50% is good for the economy. And the cut to 28% was part of a bipartisan revenue neutral tax reform package.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 10:26:57 AM »

No, cutting things and dropping the top income tax rates do nothing for the economy. In fact cutting services that decrease the cost of living(public housing, publicly owned energy etc) or help the poor be able to purchase goods(food stamps, unemployment benefits) cause a large drop in consumer spending even if the tax cuts lead to bubbles and bull markets(which are themselves problems for obvious reasons.)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 10:28:50 AM »

No, cutting things and dropping the top income tax rates do nothing for the economy. In fact cutting services that decrease the cost of living(public housing, publicly owned energy etc) or help the poor be able to purchase goods(food stamps, unemployment benefits) cause a large drop in consumer spending even if the tax cuts lead to bubbles and bull markets(which is itself a problem for obvious reasons.)

Consumer spending was clearly higher after Reagan then what was expected of the economy to be before Reagan
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 10:33:22 AM »

No, cutting things and dropping the top income tax rates do nothing for the economy. In fact cutting services that decrease the cost of living(public housing, publicly owned energy etc) or help the poor be able to purchase goods(food stamps, unemployment benefits) cause a large drop in consumer spending even if the tax cuts lead to bubbles and bull markets(which is itself a problem for obvious reasons.)

Consumer spending was clearly higher after Reagan then what was expected of the economy to be before Reagan
Which was caused by the bull markets and economic bubbles(particularly in the housing market). So yes, you are right in the short term but as this question is asking about the long term effects of Reagan's economic policies, you are very wrong.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 02:23:15 PM »

I'd argue Ford's Keynesian-ish policies were probably what benefited the country the most of the era's economic policies. Reagan's tax cuts took far too long to take effect and did nothing about inflation.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 07:07:50 PM »

Reagan's legacy ruined the GOP if you ask me, and that includes the advocacy of supply side economics. You can't solve every problem with tax cuts and deregulation, yet that is somehow where the party has ended up and it has been a net negative on this country, imo.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 09:57:39 PM »

Reaganomics during the actual Reagan administration was fine, even though the twin deficits (budget and trade) was what financed it. The problem is when it started getting taken to an extreme around the turn of the millennium, and all regulation was cast as bad.
Weiner/Holder
Rookie
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 12:47:03 AM »

21 million jobs were added throughout his terms?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies