Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:15:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 32
Author Topic: Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)  (Read 183119 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: January 25, 2018, 03:28:44 PM »

Nice!
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #426 on: January 25, 2018, 09:58:09 PM »

Bill aims to register all eligible New Mexico voters
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #427 on: January 26, 2018, 12:37:32 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2018, 12:43:04 AM by Virginia »

Unfortunately there is a Democrat (Debbie Rodella) who is siding with Republicans in not even letting bills that expand voter access out of committee. She and another Democrat helped table an automatic registration bill early last year. I'm not really sure her rationale is genuine, either. She doesn't even want to let people register on election day, which makes no sense unless your goal is to restrict the size and composition of the electorate. Registration deadlines are an archaic rule that serves no purpose in a world full of advanced technology.

We'll see it how goes this time. Personally, I think constitutional amendments give legislators less of a leg to stand on when they purport to be speaking for the people. If the people really don't want the government registering people to vote automatically, they will vote it down in November. If her excuses are bs, then she'll opt to not even give New Mexico that chance.

Also it's worth noting that she has a high-profile primary challenger due to her anti-reform position.

Edit: It just dawned on me that this kind of thing may be handled from a different committee, so Rodella might not even be in a position to block it.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #428 on: January 26, 2018, 01:06:36 AM »
« Edited: January 27, 2018, 03:50:54 PM by Virginia »

==================================================================================
Massachusetts' top election official offers Legislature a plan for same-day voter registration
==================================================================================

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/01/25/top-election-official-mass-proposes-allowing-same-day-voter-registration/QJhitv3dsXh5gO3Oa7XJFJ/story.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

About time. It's just a shame it took a judge ruling the current registration deadline unconstitutional and then a primary challenge for him to actually do this.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #429 on: January 26, 2018, 02:02:58 PM »

GOP bill to allow excuse free absentee voting in Indiana clears State Senate:

Lawmakers look to open absentee voting to all
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #430 on: January 26, 2018, 02:07:55 PM »

GOP bill to allow excuse free absentee voting in Indiana clears State Senate:

Lawmakers look to open absentee voting to all

Surprising but nice development
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #431 on: January 26, 2018, 04:58:26 PM »

WA GOP demise imminent

WA State Senate passes voting rights bill
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #432 on: January 27, 2018, 02:10:31 PM »

Massachusetts' top election official offers Legislature a plan for same-day voter registration

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/01/25/top-election-official-mass-proposes-allowing-same-day-voter-registration/QJhitv3dsXh5gO3Oa7XJFJ/story.html

About time. It's just a shame it took a judge ruling the current registration deadline unconstitutional and then a primary challenge for him to actually do this.

IL did find that election day registration did put a strain on some local election jurisdictions, especially when an unexpected turnout appeared such as for Trump in rural counties in the 2016 primary. Analysis showed that the best way to alleviate that strain is to use automatic voter registration since it takes care of the bureaucratic portion of registration at a time when the local officials are not tied up trying to run the election proper.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #433 on: January 29, 2018, 08:18:29 PM »

Supreme Court signals it might block Pennsylvania ruling against partisan gerrymandering
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #434 on: January 29, 2018, 08:57:31 PM »

Well cotdamn:

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #435 on: January 31, 2018, 03:49:21 PM »

Does anyone (particularly people who follow NJ politics) know when Murphy/legislature intend to bring up election reform bills? (eg Democracy Act). I haven't been able to see any movement on this and I didn't see much at all scheduled on the legislative calendar.

I really hope they aren't going to drag their feet on this until Summer-ish. If they pass something now, they would have some time to implement parts of the reforms for 2018, such as in-person early voting and possibly a shorter registration deadline.

Well cotdamn:

whyyyyyyyyyy FFS

At least it would take 60% to pass. I will bust my ass canvassing against this if they actually put it on the ballot. Top-two sucks bigly.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #436 on: January 31, 2018, 04:04:17 PM »

Does anyone (particularly people who follow NJ politics) know when Murphy/legislature intend to bring up election reform bills? (eg Democracy Act). I haven't been able to see any movement on this and I didn't see much at all scheduled on the legislative calendar.

I really hope they aren't going to drag their feet on this until Summer-ish. If they pass something now, they would have some time to implement parts of the reforms for 2018, such as in-person early voting and possibly a shorter registration deadline.

It's still stick in committee as bill A488. It was introduced January 9th and Murphy was just sworn in a week ago. Probably will be sent out sometime in February.

Bill:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/A0500/488_I1.HTM
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #437 on: January 31, 2018, 09:12:08 PM »

Well cotdamn:

whyyyyyyyyyy FFS

At least it would take 60% to pass. I will bust my ass canvassing against this if they actually put it on the ballot. Top-two sucks bigly.

why dont they just do runoffs instead
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #438 on: January 31, 2018, 10:00:06 PM »

I did some more digging and I saw this:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/political-pulse/os-florida-open-primary-20180126-story.html

I don't really understand why the solution to the growth of unaffiliated voters is a top-two system. The ideal change is to keep a closed primary but allow voters who are registered as unaffiliated to vote in either party's primary. It's really as simple as that, imo.

Anyway, it isn't guaranteed that this amendment even makes it to the voters in November. I'm not sure how the 20-year constitutional revision process works but I imagine it has more hurdles to go through, and even then, it requires 60% from the voters to pass. However I'd like to think that a lesson from California both parties can draw is that they could find themselves locked out of entirely winnable contests for no reason other than that too many decent candidates ran on one side.

Huh
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #439 on: February 01, 2018, 05:16:24 PM »

GOP rage imminent

Judge Strikes Down Felon Disenfranchisement System in Florida
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #440 on: February 01, 2018, 05:19:40 PM »

Essentially using Citizens United as the basis for the ruling, at that
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #441 on: February 05, 2018, 12:38:49 PM »

United States Supreme Court told the PA GOP to F Off!

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #442 on: February 05, 2018, 01:09:07 PM »

YES!

Now we just need to hope Wolf doesn't fold.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #443 on: February 05, 2018, 01:38:48 PM »

YES!

Now we just need to hope Wolf doesn't fold.

PRAISE JEBUS!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #444 on: February 07, 2018, 04:27:14 PM »

Compromise reached on Congressional redistricting reform in Ohio:

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2018/02/ohios_proposed_gerrymanding_fi.html

It has some rules on compactness and county splits, and I think it does say the map can't favor political parties or incumbents, and it allows a Governor to veto it and citizens to file a veto referendum, so all in all it's better than nothing, but it wouldn't entirely stop Republicans from passing a bad map. It would just mean that without any votes from Democrats, it would only be in place for 4 years, which would give Democrats another shot to get a better map. On the other hand, it seems like Republicans would also have another shot to shore up their districts mid-decade, so I guess it depends on how you want to look at it.

Either way, better than nothing. Democrats should still invest heavily in taking back the Governor's mansion and the SoS office as well.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #445 on: February 07, 2018, 05:30:33 PM »

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2018/02/ohios_proposed_gerrymanding_fi.html

It has some rules on compactness and county splits, and I think it does say the map can't favor political parties or incumbents, and it allows a Governor to veto it and citizens to file a veto referendum, so all in all it's better than nothing, but it wouldn't entirely stop Republicans from passing a bad map. It would just mean that without any votes from Democrats, it would only be in place for 4 years, which would give Democrats another shot to get a better map. On the other hand, it seems like Republicans would also have another shot to shore up their districts mid-decade, so I guess it depends on how you want to look at it.

Either way, better than nothing. Democrats should still invest heavily in taking back the Governor's mansion and the SoS office as well.

That is the most convoluted protocol ever designed by man.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #446 on: February 07, 2018, 05:47:31 PM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #447 on: February 07, 2018, 06:53:59 PM »

Yes lol. I think that was kind of the point - to make it look like it would be effective, when in reality the redistricting process would inevitably break down and be forced to the last 2 stages, but probably the last stage - majority vote / 4 year option.

It goes to show how unwilling partisan lawmakers are to entrust map drawing to independent committees (Arizona's case doesn't help either), which is kind of ironic, because Republicans frequently cry foul and say "Democrats just want courts to save them because they can't win elections," yet with statements like this that marginalize the importance of maps so much, they seem so hell bent on maintaining full control of the process.

If the district maps aren't important as Republicans contend, why are they so obsessed with being the ones to draw them? Wink
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #448 on: February 07, 2018, 09:21:43 PM »

God is Great! 7-2!

Link

Supreme Court blocks re-drawing of congressional district maps in North Carolina

Wonderful news, folks! The thieves don't get to steal the election! Someone is a bit cranky.

Link

#SCOTUS won't add the North Carolina partisan gerrymandering case to the argument calendar. Justices Ginsburg and Sotomayor note dissent. #AppellateTwitter
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #449 on: February 07, 2018, 09:28:52 PM »

The Ohio Congressional districts are very fair and were passed with support from both parties in the legislature.

Link

Link

The House voted 77-17 on the new map as enough Democrats joined majority Republicans to push the measure over the 66-vote supermajority needed to have it take effect immediately without the threat of a voter referendum.

The Senate was waiting in the wings Wednesday night to vote 27-6 to send the measure on to Gov. John Kasich’s desk, again with a supermajority vote.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies