Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:00:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 32
Author Topic: Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)  (Read 183167 times)
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: July 15, 2018, 11:01:46 AM »

On one hand, we know exactly why Republicans want to prevent out of state college students from voting. But they do have a point. No other state gives out-of-state residents as much freedom when voting locally as New Hampshire does. And when you take into account both Trump and Ayote losing by very tiny margins, why wouldn't NH republicans push for this?

As long as NH college students have the option to vote absentee like everybody else, the outrage from democrats seems a tad disingenuous.

Edit: Also, interesting a democrat on the NH Supreme Court sided with the two republicans.

I mean, they were even mulling getting rid of election day registration, which they've had for a while now, but they didn't because then they would lose their exception to the NVRA. All of this was about Republicans losing two closes races and seeking to flex their legislative muscle to restrict as many Democratic-leaning voters as possible from voting in future elections. That's all it ever is with Republicans. They cry about non-existent fraud and then use the resulting lack of trust they are responsible for to justify voter suppression disguised as "restoring integrity." It all makes me utterly sick to my stomach. This country needs to standardize voting regulations and be done with it. States have discredited themselves as responsible stewards of elections. Some Republican-run states can't even be trusted to offer reasonable early voting sites (re: Indiana and North Carolina), which is something painfully basic.

And Sununu does this all with his sh**t-eating grin on his face, pretending to be reasonable, telling students he doesn't want to keep them from voting, then signing bill after bill designed to reduce their electoral clout. And no doubt Democrats, whenever they take back power, will be true to form and do little to nothing to protect the state from voter suppression schemes in the future. I think only Illinois has passed a constitutional amendment explicitly protecting the right to vote.

edit: Also, I don't understand what the beef these people have with students is about. Students spend more time in NH than not, and going off to college is generally considered leaving the nest for many students, so at least for 4 years or so, that is their home. And don't quote me on it, but iirc, courts have already ruled that students cannot be banned from voting in the state they go to school in, so their enrollment in a college in New Hampshire should be enough.

Republicans are just trying to change the rules to boost their odds in elections, plain and simple.

Yes, this was upheld by the Supreme Court in Symm v. United States, 1979.

So that begs the question, why is New Hampshire the only state college students can vote in local elections without jumping through hurdles?

*raises the question

*puts on ignore*

/s

Yep, looking at it, I definitely used the expression wrong.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #576 on: July 21, 2018, 02:09:25 PM »

Yeah I think Sununu's chances of reelection may have gone way down with this stunt.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #577 on: July 24, 2018, 01:03:08 PM »

Tremendous news for 2018!

ajc0918
United States

« Reply #578 on: July 24, 2018, 04:30:16 PM »

Tremendous news for 2018!

This is BIG. This means each individual county will likely be able to determine if a university can get an on campus early voting precinct. I'm pretty confidence Alachua (UF) and Leon (FSU) will add them. I could see Orange (UCF) and Hillsborough (USF) doing the same.

I could easily see a few thousand more students vote as a result.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #579 on: July 24, 2018, 07:55:07 PM »

Something good came out Florida!?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #580 on: July 26, 2018, 09:17:46 AM »

Great news!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #581 on: July 26, 2018, 09:43:31 AM »

Marion County, Indiana will also get 6 early voting sites after having only one site during the last 4 elections (iirc).

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2018/07/25/marion-county-early-voting-election-board-adds-6-satellite-locations/837862002/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Florida early voting news is huge, though. Not giving universities an early voting site is blatantly unfair treatment of students, considering that there are numerous small towns that have considerably less eligible voters (like mine) but still get early voting sites. On top of that, universities are full of some of the lowest propensity voters, so it hurts twice as much by depriving them of a convenient place to vote.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #582 on: July 26, 2018, 09:47:47 AM »

There was good news out of Iowa yesterday.

There will be an appeal to the Iowa Supreme Court, but that court tends to lean left.

Source
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #583 on: July 31, 2018, 09:40:33 PM »

junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #584 on: July 31, 2018, 09:41:55 PM »

MI GOP is finished
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #585 on: July 31, 2018, 09:45:16 PM »

Colorado, Michigan, Utah and possibly Missouri will have ballot measures for redistricting commissions this November. 
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #586 on: July 31, 2018, 10:25:00 PM »

Really curious to see a summary of the dissent for us non-lawyers. Three dissents is a little close for a comfort.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #587 on: August 01, 2018, 05:58:06 AM »

Oh thank God.

But yeah, as Virginia said, still utterly terrifying that there are 3 GOP hack with so little regard for the rule of law.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #588 on: August 01, 2018, 07:57:58 AM »

IANAL but basically the question hinged on whether the amendment was so substantial a change that it was too substantive to be legal via initiative vs constitutional convention. Neither the opinion nor the dissent turned upon the merits of the proposal itself
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #589 on: August 01, 2018, 10:44:28 AM »

Good news!

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #590 on: August 01, 2018, 02:59:35 PM »

Good news!

Every time I see news about a federal judge making a good ruling like this all I can think is "who cares, this is gonna be overturned by Justice Kavanaugh soon enough".
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #591 on: August 02, 2018, 11:27:39 AM »

Colorado, Michigan, Utah and possibly Missouri will have ballot measures for redistricting commissions this November. 

Missouri will have a redistricting reform measure on the ballot.

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #592 on: August 02, 2018, 11:29:27 AM »

Good news!

Every time I see news about a federal judge making a good ruling like this all I can think is "who cares, this is gonna be overturned by Justice Kavanaugh soon enough".

Michigan reinstated it via the ballot box, but then the state legislature overturned and added a monetary portion to it so they couldn't reinstate it again via the ballot box. So this year folks are trying to pass a constitutional amendment that would add straight ballot voting and other pro-voting measures to the state constitution.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #593 on: August 02, 2018, 02:12:45 PM »

Unfortunately, Missouri's initiative only appears to have legislative redistricting reform and not Congressional, according to Ballotpedia. Not sure why. I hope they can shoot for CDs in 2020.

Michigan reinstated it via the ballot box, but then the state legislature overturned and added a monetary portion to it so they couldn't reinstate it again via the ballot box. So this year folks are trying to pass a constitutional amendment that would add straight ballot voting and other pro-voting measures to the state constitution.

It's really quite amazing how much effort has been put into initiatives in Michigan this cycle. MI could go from a state with some of the worst gerrymandered lines and stingiest voter access rules to a state with fair maps and some of the best pro-voter rules in the country.

Not to mention the initiatives for minimum wage, paid sick leave and cannabis legalization.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #594 on: August 02, 2018, 05:02:49 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2018, 07:17:44 AM by Torie »

The Missouri proposal would effectively require the legislative seats to be gerrymandered in favor of the Dems to enable them to prevail in the percentage of the seats that matches their statewide percentage.  That is an erroneous way to calculate it, even if you wanted that principle. Muon2 says you need to double the dominant party's margin, so if a minority party got 45% of the statewide vote, they should get only 40% of the seats.

And even with that correction, it would still require gerrymandering for the Dems to offset the geographical concentration of Dems and the VRA (although in Missouri, the CD to be reasonably drawn for the black constituency closely matches what should be drawn anyway, given how the county and City of St. Louis lines lie). So I oppose that approach. Minimize chops and erosity, and then for maps that get basically to the same score, try to go for competitiveness and minimizing partisan skew per the Muon2 formula.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #595 on: August 02, 2018, 06:45:48 PM »

I suspect that the proposal in MO is based on similar state constitutional law as in IL. In IL the state constitution only deals with legislative apportionment, so that is the only type of district where one can impose procedural changes. Congressional districts are purely statutory.

As Torie notes, I have often quoted academic studies that show an ideal legislature should not mirror the statewide vote but should skew about 2 points for every point away from 50-50. If a state has very few districts then that skew can be greater. Consider a state with only one district (like the governor) - it skews 100% in favor of the party winning the statewide vote.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #596 on: August 10, 2018, 01:31:12 PM »

Iowa Supreme Court upholds injunction on the new Voter ID law:

ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #597 on: August 10, 2018, 06:11:23 PM »

Iowa Supreme Court upholds injunction on the new Voter ID law:

Excellent news.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #598 on: August 11, 2018, 09:26:58 AM »

^ Is that lawsuit halting the entire ID requirement, or just for absentee voting? I haven't followed it too much.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/indiana-marion-county-early-voting_us_5b6dd7cce4b0530743c9c2ef

Republicans upset Indiana's most populous county is going to have more than one early voting site (they are fine with whiter, more Republican counties next to it having more than one though)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #599 on: August 11, 2018, 10:43:29 AM »

^ Is that lawsuit halting the entire ID requirement, or just for absentee voting? I haven't followed it too much.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/indiana-marion-county-early-voting_us_5b6dd7cce4b0530743c9c2ef

Republicans upset Indiana's most populous county is going to have more than one early voting site (they are fine with whiter, more Republican counties next to it having more than one though)

Isn't Curtis Hill being accused of sexual harassment and/or sexual assault by four different women including one member of the Indiana legislature?  I thought he'd already resigned.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies