Who was the best Israeli Prime Minister during your lifetime?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:25:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Who was the best Israeli Prime Minister during your lifetime?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who was the best Israeli Prime Minister during your lifetime?
David Ben-Gurion

Moshe Sharett

Levi Eshkol

Golda Meir

Yitzhak Rabin

Menachem Begin

Yitzhak Shamir

Shimon Peres

Benjamin Netanyahu

Ehud Barak

Ariel Sharon

Ehud Olmert

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Who was the best Israeli Prime Minister during your lifetime?  (Read 882 times)
Californiadreaming
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2016, 04:26:43 PM »

Since I was born in 1992, the options for me are Shamir, Rabin, Peres, Netanyahu, Barak, Sharon, and Olmert.

Anyway, I voted for Ariel Sharon. Indeed, while his 2000 visit to the Temple Mount was certainly stupid, that visit occurred before he became Prime Minister whereas I am only judging Prime Ministers based on their records in office. Indeed, when he was in office, Ariel Sharon certainly appears to have done a great job crushing the Second Intifada, significantly reducing Palestinian terrorism, and eliminating Palestinian terrorist networks (especially in the West Bank). Smiley
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 05:21:28 PM »

Born in '97, so my options are Netanyahu, Barak, Sharon, or Olmert. Of that group, obviously Sharon.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 07:50:40 PM »

Begin Easily.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 08:32:53 PM »

I voted Bibi. Very easy vote.

Rankings of PMs during my lifetime
1. Benjamin Netanyahu
2. Ariel Sharon
3. Yitzhak Rabin
4. Ehud Barak
5. Ehud Olmert
6. Shimon Peres

Here are my ratings, overall, for Israeli PMs:
1. Menachem Begin, Likud
2. David Ben-Gurion, Mapai/Rafi/National List
3. Benjamin Netanyahu, Likud (I'm hack, never hid it)
4. Yitzhak Shamir, Likud
5. Golda Meir, Alignment
6. Ariel Sharon, Likud/Kadima
7. Yitzhak Rabin, Labor (as much as I oppose Oslo Accords and as much as I, overall, disagreed w/ his politics...he was a great man who tried to make peace and for that he deserves respect)
8. Moshe Sharrett, Mapai
9. Ehud Barak, Labor/One Israel
10. Yigal Allon, Alignment/Labor (only served as Interim PM, so doesn't really count)
11. Levi Eshkol, Mapai/Alignment/Labor
12. Ehud Olmert, Kadima
13. Shimon Peres, Alignment/Labor
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 09:33:42 PM »

Bibi
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 09:45:51 PM »

UGH, they're all terrible. But Rabin since he is the only PM who actually tried to make a deal with us and doesn't demonize us.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 10:11:47 PM »

UGH, they're all terrible. But Rabin since he is the only PM who actually tried to make a deal with us and doesn't demonize us.
What about Shimon Peres, Ehud Barak, and Ehud Olmert, though?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 10:13:29 PM »

What about Shimon Peres, Ehud Barak, and Ehud Olmert, though?

He'd still, likely, prefer Rabin over all of them. As Hnv1 noted in the other thread, Barak is an empty suit of sorts (though, certainly, his peace plan is, by far, the most progressive one proposed by anyone in Israel).

Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 01:26:32 AM »

1. Benjamin Netanyahu
2. Ariel Sharon
3. Yitzhak Rabin
4. Ehud Barak
5. Ehud Olmert
6. Shimon Peres

1. Menachem Begin, Likud
4. Yitzhak Shamir, Likud
5. Golda Meir, Alignment
7. Yitzhak Rabin, Labor (as much as I oppose Oslo Accords and as much as I, overall, disagreed w/ his politics...he was a great man who tried to make peace and for that he deserves respect)
8. Moshe Sharrett, Mapai
10. Yigal Allon, Alignment/Labor (only served as Interim PM, so doesn't really count)
12. Ehud Olmert, Kadima
Why Netanyahu above Sharon, though?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 02:11:47 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2016, 02:13:46 AM by SunriseAroundTheWorld »

1. Benjamin Netanyahu
2. Ariel Sharon
3. Yitzhak Rabin
4. Ehud Barak
5. Ehud Olmert
6. Shimon Peres

1. Menachem Begin, Likud
4. Yitzhak Shamir, Likud
5. Golda Meir, Alignment
8. Moshe Sharrett, Mapai
12. Ehud Olmert, Kadima

The Gaza withdrawal is still a very touchy subject for many Likud supporters, myself included. Sharon did not handle it well, imo, and he also led to the split of Likud's base and support.

Also, over a decade later, no one can make the argument that withdrawing from Gaza made peace or solved any major problem in the conflict. I share the same amount of disdain for the withdrawal in '05 as I do for the Oslo Accords but the big difference is that no one can really argue that the withdrawal wasn't necessary.

Ariel Sharon picked up a hot potato that wound up biting him from all sides, imo. He was a flawed, but good man. A flawed but decent leader. A flawed FF.

With Bibi, I have a much clearer and stronger approval to give.

EDIT: That being said, Sharon most certainly made Israel a safer and stronger country, as you said in your post, and that's why I still like him, on balance.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 02:33:33 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2016, 02:36:01 AM by Californiadreaming »

1. Benjamin Netanyahu
2. Ariel Sharon
3. Yitzhak Rabin
4. Ehud Barak
5. Ehud Olmert
6. Shimon Peres

1. Menachem Begin, Likud
4. Yitzhak Shamir, Likud
5. Golda Meir, Alignment
8. Moshe Sharrett, Mapai
12. Ehud Olmert, Kadima

The Gaza withdrawal is still a very touchy subject for many Likud supporters, myself included. Sharon did not handle it well, imo, and he also led to the split of Likud's base and support.

Also, over a decade later, no one can make the argument that withdrawing from Gaza made peace or solved any major problem in the conflict. I share the same amount of disdain for the withdrawal in '05 as I do for the Oslo Accords but the big difference is that no one can really argue that the withdrawal wasn't necessary.

Ariel Sharon picked up a hot potato that wound up biting him from all sides, imo. He was a flawed, but good man. A flawed but decent leader. A flawed FF.

EDIT: That being said, Sharon most certainly made Israel a safer and stronger country, as you said in your post, and that's why I still like him, on balance.
How exactly do you think that Sharon should have handled the Gaza withdrawal, though?

Also, for the record, my own view on withdrawing from the Gaza Strip is that it was the correct decision. After all, in addition to the national self-determination principle, I think that the 2005 Gaza withdrawal was a good move because the pre-withdrawal situation in Gaza was simply too problematic for Israel. Indeed, weren't there only several thousand Jewish Israeli settlers in Gaza who were outnumbered by Palestinian Arabs by more than 100 (Yes, 100!) to 1?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 02:44:40 AM »

1. Benjamin Netanyahu
2. Ariel Sharon
3. Yitzhak Rabin
4. Ehud Barak
5. Ehud Olmert
6. Shimon Peres

1. Menachem Begin, Likud
4. Yitzhak Shamir, Likud
5. Golda Meir, Alignment
8. Moshe Sharrett, Mapai
12. Ehud Olmert, Kadima

How exactly do you think that Sharon should have handled the Gaza withdrawal, though?

Also, for the record, my own view on withdrawing from the Gaza Strip is that it was the correct decision. After all, in addition to the national self-determination principle, I think that the 2005 Gaza withdrawal was a good move because the pre-withdrawal situation in Gaza was simply too problematic for Israel. Indeed, weren't there only several thousand Jewish Israeli settlers in Gaza who were outnumbered by Palestinian Arabs by more than 100 (Yes, 100!) to 1?

Sharon was a very blunt man - not much different from Trump in some of his fiery rhetoric - and he wasn't able to make this smooth transition for his fellow party members nor for the Israeli public as a whole. I might be bitter about the decision and how it was done but I agree, partially, with you that it was the correct decision.

There's no clear victor in the debate over the withdrawal. As you said, the pre-withdrawal situation was too much to deal with for Israel...however, look what has replaced Israeli rule in Gaza...Radical Islamist/terrorist dictators of multiple stripes causing problems for both Israel, Egypt and also the Palestinian people. So the withdrawal is a wash no matter how you look at it, imo.

It was a difficult situation, Sharon tried his best (and on balance was a decent to good PM) but there was too much damage from it for me to like him more than Bibi.

Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 02:54:31 AM »

1. Benjamin Netanyahu
2. Ariel Sharon
3. Yitzhak Rabin
4. Ehud Barak
5. Ehud Olmert
6. Shimon Peres

1. Menachem Begin, Likud
4. Yitzhak Shamir, Likud
5. Golda Meir, Alignment
8. Moshe Sharrett, Mapai
12. Ehud Olmert, Kadima

Sharon was a very blunt man - not much different from Trump in some of his fiery rhetoric - and he wasn't able to make this smooth transition for his fellow party members nor for the Israeli public as a whole. I might be bitter about the decision and how it was done but I agree, partially, with you that it was the correct decision.

There's no clear victor in the debate over the withdrawal. As you said, the pre-withdrawal situation was too much to deal with for Israel...however, look what has replaced Israeli rule in Gaza...Radical Islamist/terrorist dictators of multiple stripes causing problems for both Israel, Egypt and also the Palestinian people. So the withdrawal is a wash no matter how you look at it, imo.

It was a difficult situation, Sharon tried his best (and on balance was a decent to good PM) but there was too much damage from it for me to like him more than Bibi.

In regards to Hamas, though, thankfully they appear to be contained within the Gaza Strip and are unable to cause trouble elsewhere. Of course, Israel does unfortunately have to deal with Hamas from time to time--such as in both 2008-2009 and 2014. Sad
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 03:03:42 AM »

1. Benjamin Netanyahu
2. Ariel Sharon
3. Yitzhak Rabin
4. Ehud Barak
5. Ehud Olmert
6. Shimon Peres

1. Menachem Begin, Likud
4. Yitzhak Shamir, Likud
5. Golda Meir, Alignment
8. Moshe Sharrett, Mapai
12. Ehud Olmert, Kadima

In regards to Hamas, though, thankfully they appear to be contained within the Gaza Strip and are unable to cause trouble elsewhere. Of course, Israel does unfortunately have to deal with Hamas from time to time--such as in both 2008-2009 and 2014. Sad

That's true. Certainly, Hamas is one of the better contained terrorist groups. I just feel bad for the Palestinian people who, every day, have to deal with the brutal rule of Hamas.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 04:54:39 AM »

Rabin (normal, born 1993)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 07:47:36 AM »

Rooney
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 10:16:13 AM »

PM Rabin, but why did he not listen to the warning of the Bible Code? He was sent a letter about it and everything! Sad
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 12:25:25 PM »

PM Rabin, but why did he not listen to the warning of the Bible Code? He was sent a letter about it and everything! Sad
Bible Code?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 10:33:12 PM »

Rabin although Barak was great too.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 09:45:53 PM »

Rabin
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 07:39:31 PM »

Rabin.

Tie for worst between Yitzhak Shamir, who was basically an Israeli Milosevic, and Bibi, who is doing to Israel what the American Right did to the Republican Party.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies