Atlas throwback : 1987 edition
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:34:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Atlas throwback : 1987 edition
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlas throwback : 1987 edition  (Read 1161 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 02, 2016, 06:28:11 PM »
« edited: August 02, 2016, 06:33:52 PM by Moderate Hero »

It December of 1987 what would do you think will happen in next year election. Do you think the republicans can retain the white house or do you think the democrats can win reelecton. At this point I think Bush is most likely to be the next president, as President Reagan approval is on its way up with his approval around 50 percent and likely to go higher. Plus the Democrats are looking like they have shot themselves by once again fielding too many candidates, with jesse jackson having a huge shot of winning the dems except gore are moving further and further to the left  which I beleive will cost them the election like it has in every election since 1968 except once. Though the dems will keep their congress again as that is impossible for the gop to win.

Right now I believe Dukakis is looking as the likely nominee and bush is for the republicans so here is my map for that

Bush 356 53%
Dukakis 182 46%

if jesse jackson the nominee  i believe he would lose every single state except Hawaii and DC

Dems to have a chance to win though if they nominate Al Gore and chose some one like Booth Gardner from the washington and run the campaign smartly and exploit bush weakness they have a chance to win with this map

For example

Gore 273
Bush 265

For the Senate I have the GOP making a net gain of two seats bringing the Dems house majority to 52-48 and 8 seats in the house making the dem majority 250-175  there.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 06:50:19 PM »

Personally, I think Dole can definitely win the nomination.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 07:15:49 PM »

No way. He doesn't have any appeal to Southerners. I think old Dixie will be under the Democratic belt for a very long time after this election.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 08:39:15 PM »

No way. He doesn't have any appeal to Southerners. I think old Dixie will be under the Democratic belt for a very long time after this election.

Not if we nominate Dukakis. The only way he would have a shot is if he picked Al Gore which would scare away the liberal north and west. I think Dixie is going to be either abandoned, or the Dems will make a failed play for it this cycle.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 10:21:19 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2016, 10:59:22 PM by Moderate Hero »

Not if we nominate Dukakis. The only way he would have a shot is if he picked Al Gore which would scare away the liberal north and west. I think Dixie is going to be either abandoned, or the Dems will make a failed play for it this cycle.
How does Dukakis win , he can't win the west coast which has been republican in every election since 1952 other then 1964 and he doesn't have blue collar appeal , and too far left to win states like  the upper south , northwest , Ohio , Pennsylvania. Gore is the only shot you have as he takes the tax and spend weak on crime issue away from the GOP and that could allow him to win the west coast and blue collar states .

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 05:23:56 PM »

How does Dukakis win , he can't win the west coast which has been republican in every election since 1952 other then 1964 and he doesn't have blue collar appeal , and too far left to win states like  the upper south , northwest , Ohio , Pennsylvania. Gore is the only shot you have as he takes the tax and spend weak on crime issue away from the GOP and that could allow him to win the west coast and blue collar states .

California will be up for grabs this election. Whoever wins the Dem Nom. will also have strong appeal to the farm states due to the farm crisis. And I think Dukakis (who will probably win) would be able to play up the Japan Trade issue and some pro-labor endorsers winning some points with the Rust-Belt voters.

I think Bush would lose in a landslide if he is nominated. He #1 isn't Reagan and Iran-Contra is staring the American people in the face. The only chance the Reps. have of winning is with Dole or if we nominate Jackson.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 06:22:38 PM »

I'm still disappointed that neither Tsongas nor Ford ran. I'll probably support Paul if it's Dukakis v. Bush.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 07:25:30 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2016, 07:28:59 PM by Moderate Hero »

California will be up for grabs this election. Whoever wins the Dem Nom. will also have strong appeal to the farm states due to the farm crisis. And I think Dukakis (who will probably win) would be able to play up the Japan Trade issue and some pro-labor endorsers winning some points with the Rust-Belt voters.

I think Bush would lose in a landslide if he is nominated. He #1 isn't Reagan and Iran-Contra is staring the American people in the face. The only chance the Reps. have of winning is with Dole or if we nominate Jackson.

Reagan will deliver Cali to the GOP , and even if he doesnt the best i see Dukakis getting is to 269 electoral votes which would require him to sweep all the close states.

Right now i see it hard for any dem to win without winning the south as i dont see the dems winning Cali and Ohio and even if he does that he will have to take out resources from other important states such as Michigan, Illinois, Oregon,Washington , Wisconsin meaning even if he wins those states taking resources in those states could cause dukakis to lose one of these thus the election.

Another thing you are forgetting is the youth vote which has swung greatly to the gop over the reagan years , and while Bush isnt as popular among youth as Ronald Reagan , he can still easily get Reagan to convince them to vote for him, so unless Dukakis can somehow get record amount of old  voters to turnout for the dems i dont see dukakis having a chance to win.

To me Gore can reverse the dems problems among young voters, traditional dem southern voters, while doing as well with liberals, women , blacks and could create a new coalition for the dems to win elections again

At this point this is how give each candidate chance for winning the election

Bush 60%
Gore 25%
Dukakis 10%
Dole 4.9%
Jackson .1%

LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 11:22:08 AM »

I think Dukakis-Gore would be a great ticket.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 06:09:19 PM »

I think Dukakis-Gore would be a great ticket.

I would say the opposite would be better
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies