Mike Pence Declines to Endorse McCain or Ayotte
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:49:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Mike Pence Declines to Endorse McCain or Ayotte
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mike Pence Declines to Endorse McCain or Ayotte  (Read 1046 times)
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2016, 03:27:45 PM »

Pence is increasingly siding with Trump against the GOP establishment. Does this have any effect on the race/GOP compared to if Pence had endorsed them?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nbcnews.com/card/mike-pence-declines-endorse-john-mccain-n623051
Redban

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 03:29:36 PM »

I want Kelli Ward to beat John McCain so badly.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 03:30:05 PM »

lol, wow. The GOP is tearing at the seems.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 03:36:26 PM »

As far as McCain goes:

Has Hillary decided what Democrat to pick in the California race yet? If she doesn't, is the Democrat party "tearing at the seams?"

As far as Ayotte goes, it's to her advantage not to have Trump's support in New Hampshire per the liberal press.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 03:38:48 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Confused
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 03:39:25 PM »

Looks like it's contagious.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 03:40:27 PM »

Me too, since that would mean Senator Kirkpatrick. Wink
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 03:42:36 PM »

As far as McCain goes:

Has Hillary decided what Democrat to pick in the California race yet? If she doesn't, is the Democrat party "tearing at the seams?"

As far as Ayotte goes, it's to her advantage not to have Trump's support in New Hampshire per the liberal press.

LoL a Democrat is going to win regardless in California so an endorsement isn't necessary.

Nice try, though.

Poor John McCain. Being thrown under the bus by his own party. Any word from our dear Sarah as to whom she's endorsing? Smiley
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 03:44:26 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2016, 03:46:59 PM by Seriously? »

As far as McCain goes:

LoL a Democrat is going to win regardless in California so an endorsement isn't necessary.

Nice try, though.

Poor John McCain. Being thrown under the bus by his own party. Any word from our dear Sarah as to whom she's endorsing? Smiley
You do realize it's a primary with McCain. Republican vs. Republican. Much like the California general election race. For the exact same reasons, neither Pence nor Trump is required to pick a side. An endorsement isn't necessary because a Republican moves on in Arizona no matter what.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 03:52:14 PM »

As far as McCain goes:

Nice try, though.

You do realize it's a primary with McCain. Republican vs. Republican. Much like the California general election race. For the exact same reasons, neither Pence nor Trump is required to pick a side. An endorsement isn't necessary because a Republican moves on in Arizona no matter what.

It's still not the same. Democrats will win the California race regardless. The result of the Arizona primary will have a huge impact on Republican's chances of holding that seat.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 03:52:56 PM »

As far as McCain goes:

Nice try, though.

It's still not the same. Democrats will win the California race regardless. The result of the Arizona primary will have a huge impact on Republican's chances of holding that seat.

And Kirkpatrick is no one to scoff at. She's a particularly strong challenger.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 03:52:56 PM »

As far as McCain goes:

There is no need for Clinton "to decide what Democrat to pick in the California race."
There will only be two Democrats on the ballot, and NO Republicans (thanks to California's top-two primary rules), come voting time in November. So regardless, a Democrat will win, with zero (and I mean "zero") chance of a Pub taking this seat in deciding Senate control.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 03:55:21 PM »

As far as McCain goes:

There is no need for Clinton "to decide what Democrat to pick in the California race."
There will only be two Democrats on the ballot, and NO Republicans (thanks to California's top-two primary rules), come voting time in November. So regardless, a Democrat will win, with zero (and I mean "zero") chance of a Pub taking this seat in deciding Senate control.
Trump and Pence have a right to be ambivalent about who bring the challenge against the Democrat in Arizona -- a state that trends Republican.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 03:55:39 PM »

As far as McCain goes:

Nice try, though.

That's exactly my point, though. California is already in the general election and a Democrat is going to win either way, so an endorsement isn't necessary, whereas Arizona is still in the primary where it's going to be a typical RvD general election, and a lack of an endorsement by one of the party's presidential nominees signals some party tension, which is going to make it even more difficult for McCain (yes, I still think he's going to win the primary). He's going to have a harder time in the general election against Ann Kirkpatrick in a state that's hinting that it's going to be competitive.

I just assumed we were talking about the general election since I don't think McCain is in that much trouble of being teabagged given that he survived a much tougher primary against a semi-more credible opponent in J.D. Hayworth in 2010, a GOP-wave midterm year as opposed to a 2016 presidential year.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 03:56:52 PM »

As far as McCain goes:

Nice try, though.

^^thank you. That's the point I was trying to convey.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 04:27:03 PM »

Why should Pence endorse McCain. Trump already attacked McCain and Kelli Ward is much more pro-gun.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 04:28:05 PM »

Why should Pence endorse McCain. Trump already attacked McCain and Kelli Ward is much more pro-gun.
I thought about this, too. The bigger question to me is, why did he endorse Ryan if he was going to go in this direction with things anyway?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 04:30:20 PM »

Is Ayotte even facing a primary?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 04:31:08 PM »

If this doesn't inspire McCain the maverick to return, then he's already dead.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 04:31:59 PM »

Seems like there's divisions within the Trump camp; Newt Gingrich came out and strongly endorsed McCain.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/08/04/newt-gingrich-breaks-with-donald-trump-and-endorses-john-mccain/
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 04:35:32 PM »

I thought about this, too. The bigger question to me is, why did he endorse Ryan if he was going to go in this direction with things anyway?

McCain is just a senator, even if he is a famous one. Him being primaried would bruise his ego and be an event for the history books, but it won't be catastrophic. If Ryan goes in a primary, the entire House GOP will collapse in on itself, there would be about a month (at least) of agonising leadership talks, it ruins career of the only man with the intellectual prowess and respect to forge a post-Trump future and it would cause all talent to avoid the Speakership like it was radioactive.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2016, 04:38:10 PM »

So do we.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2016, 04:49:20 PM »

Fitzpatrick will beat Ward.

RIP GOP Senate Majority.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2016, 04:58:46 PM »

Pence has been brought to heel.
OwlRhetoric

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2016, 05:13:11 PM »

Smart move by Pence, at least with McCain. That guy has a lot of blood on his hands for backing rebel groups and helping ISIS. Anyone who turns on McCain from either party should be praised to heaven.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies