1020 - Federal Electoral Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:02:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  1020 - Federal Electoral Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 1020 - Federal Electoral Act  (Read 1792 times)
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2016, 11:01:56 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 11:02:30 PM »

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 11:05:12 PM »

Awesome! Gents (and Lady), I'd like to ask that we quickly pass this before the Midterms next Thursday. So, please be active if you have questions and let's try and get this done!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 11:30:55 PM »

Poirot made some valid points in this thread: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=241474.0

If anyone would like to make amendments to address these concerns and contribute to discussion, that would be great (also your job Tongue). If not, I will have amendments this weekend, so ask that you please not rush this to a final vote until I'm able to do so.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 03:51:15 PM »

I have made observations about this bill in the Senate.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=241474.0

Without repeating everything, the short version is:

section 15: don't see date for House elections. I think Senate elections are determined by region. Date for taking office depending if it's put in the constitution or not.

section 6: refers to clause in old constitution

section 9: review the notice of elections, what and where the SoFE needs to post (maybe consult with him)

And I had suggestion for section 14, make it 8 posts (1 per week) and section 6 make it possible for advance voting before the deadline for candidacies for those who know they will not be availbale election weekend.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 04:42:50 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2016, 11:33:26 PM by tmthforu94 »

Three amendments to start off. Someone else will have to officially sponsor them.

President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 04:46:00 PM »

I'll sponsor all of them.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 05:05:41 PM »

On the date for taking office, there was a proposed constitutional amendment dealing with this that was different. Maybe you have to debate it.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=242116.0

For the House it proposed taking office the Friday following the election (not the first Friday of the following month like for Presidential)

And for Senate I don't know if it needs to be determined by federal law or regional law (would need to check regional constitutions if this was determined).
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 05:07:55 PM »

I think that for consistency, it would be wise to have all three (President/VP, House, Senate) swear in at the same time. Nothing is specified in the Southern constitution about it. I'll let the House debate and introduce an amendment on which date they prefer.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 07:30:58 PM »

I don't see in the proposed North constitution a date for Senators to take office so maybe a federal law should state when Senator's term begins.

The wording is candidate elected in federal elections

and to me it's not clear if Senators are covered by that. I think since regions decide how to elect Senators, regions will run that election? So is it considered a federal election or not...
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 08:10:31 PM »

I don't see in the proposed North constitution a date for Senators to take office so maybe a federal law should state when Senator's term begins.

The wording is candidate elected in federal elections

and to me it's not clear if Senators are covered by that. I think since regions decide how to elect Senators, regions will run that election? So is it considered a federal election or not...
Clarified wording.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 10:22:46 PM »

If the day to take office covers only the Presidential and House, does it mean regions will have to pass a bill or amend their constitution to set a date specifying when Senators have to swear in or is it covered already somewhere else?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 11:36:07 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2016, 11:40:57 PM by tmthforu94 »

If the day to take office covers only the Presidential and House, does it mean regions will have to pass a bill or amend their constitution to set a date specifying when Senators have to swear in or is it covered already somewhere else?
It isn't covered elsewhere, it is something we need to decide. I tend to agree with you that perhaps everyone should swear in the Friday after each federal election. So this means regions would need to have their elections either before federal or concurrent, having it after would make their senators swear in a week late. Would you agree?
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 11:19:29 AM »

Since splitting a Presidential term could result in instability, I propose an amendment to section 4:

Nothing against the Senate, but since the House is popularly elected at large by the nation, I think we would represent the will of the nation more closely.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 06:36:12 PM »

It isn't covered elsewhere, it is something we need to decide. I tend to agree with you that perhaps everyone should swear in the Friday after each federal election. So this means regions would need to have their elections either before federal or concurrent, having it after would make their senators swear in a week late. Would you agree?

Yes, regions could not hold elections let's say the last weekend of the month. I don't know if a region is planning to have Senate election after the federal election but you made me realise regions have the power to decide when in the month to hold the Senate elections since the federal constitution only specifies the month and let regions organize them. In theory there could be a problem for Senators to take office in the same month of their elections since the election could be scheduled very late in the month by a region. I guess changes from the status quo for commencement of term can be studied by the constitutional committee so there is more time to study impact of changes and consult people and get this electoral bill adopted soon.

Rgions have not adopted legislation on commencement of term for Senators and it should be standard for all regions so I would add Senate in section 15.3
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 05:40:47 PM »

A status on these amendments?
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 08:12:43 PM »

Three amendments to start off. Someone else will have to officially sponsor them.

I will assume sponsorship of all three.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 08:16:01 PM »

Peebs already did. If there are no objections, they should be adopted.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 08:18:57 PM »

Peebs already did. If there are no objections, they should be adopted.
Somehow I missed that. Withdrawing my (redundant) sponsorship.

As more than 36 hours have passed, all three amendments have been adopted.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 09:31:39 PM »

Proposing another amendment:

This is essentially what Justice Yankee wrote in his constitutional amendment. While I can't speak for other members of the Constitutional Ad Hoc committee, what Congress decides here is what we will likely recommend in our proposed constitutional amendment. The one change I made was in Clause 4 (a change from previous policy): it has the president/vice president swearing in the week after the election to cut out the lame duck period. Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2016, 06:28:28 PM »

Your Elections boss would like you to pass this.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2016, 08:50:48 PM »

I assume that amendment has been adopted? Can we get a final vote soon, since no one has any feedback?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2016, 09:39:23 PM »

have Poirot's concerns been addressed then?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 10:17:21 PM »

have Poirot's concerns been addressed then?
To my knowledge, all errors that have been raised with the bill have been addressed.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 11:33:24 PM »

In section 9 administration of voting booths:

Item 4 and 5 require public notice in both Fantasy Elections Forum and the Voting Booth

If I understand this there is a public notice in the Voting Booth? I don't think we have ever done that.

It is specified in Item 4 for regular House elections. Shouldn't it be also for Presidential elections ?
In item 5 it's for special House elections. Perhaps here there is no Presidential special elections because it doesn't happen.

Also there doesn't seem to be interest to let voters cast an advanced ballot earlier than candidacy deadline but maybe there is no demand for it.
I wanted to make the required number of posts to be eligible voter to one post per week so 8. There are ballots that are invalid because they miss a few posts. There have been period when I didn't post but read what was happening and I would not accept the label of zombie voter.   
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies