Opinion of Albert Camus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:57:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Albert Camus
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Opinion of Albert Camus  (Read 678 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2016, 03:08:48 AM »
« edited: August 06, 2016, 03:13:44 AM by a.scott »

The guy in my signature.

I got into his writings several months ago, mainly out of interest for philosophers' take on the issue of suicide.  I found Camus' Myth of Sisyphus to be somewhat comforting during periods of my... shall we say, fatalistic impulses.  Camus was practically an atheist for most of his life, but I've found slivers of his philosophy that aren't completely at odds with my Christian beliefs.  (I'm not returning to my days of theological spiel publicly here, so PM me if you want to talk about it.)

Anyway, FF.  Definitely a great influence for me.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 04:26:09 AM »

Massive FF. Probably my favorite 20th century French intellectual.

(I'm not returning to my days of theological spiel publicly here, so PM me if you want to talk about it.)

May I ask why not? There have been quite a few worthwhile discussions on this thread lately and I think you could contribute to them a lot. Sure, the euphoric crowd is still around, but it's not too hard to ignore.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 06:13:13 AM »

J'adore.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 10:41:54 AM »

(I'm not returning to my days of theological spiel publicly here, so PM me if you want to talk about it.)

May I ask why not? There have been quite a few worthwhile discussions on this thread lately and I think you could contribute to them a lot. Sure, the euphoric crowd is still around, but it's not too hard to ignore.

A lot of reasons, really.  Some of the discussions here are great, though it does seem there's quite a habit of talking past one another here, doesn't it?  Especially on the 'God' question, I find it more satisfying to discuss certain topics with people with whom I'm on equal footing, theologically speaking.  I know that sounds heretical speaking as a would-be philosophy major, but I'm here to learn more than anything else right now. Smiley
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 10:43:35 AM »

I loved The Stranger.

I found The Plague a little boring.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 10:51:45 AM »

There are things about Camus that I'm a little leery about but in general I like him a lot. Certainly better than Sartre, better than a lot of the more religious French intellectuals of that time as well. FF. Some of the best conversations that I had with my friends in undergrad were about Camus.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 10:53:56 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2016, 11:32:37 AM by I did not see L.A. »

A lot of reasons, really.  Some of the discussions here are great, though it does seem there's quite a habit of talking past one another here, doesn't it?  Especially on the 'God' question, I find it more satisfying to discuss certain topics with people with whom I'm on equal footing, theologically speaking.  I know that sounds heretical speaking as a would-be philosophy major, but I'm here to learn more than anything else right now. Smiley

Oh, I understand. "Trying to learn" is more or less what I'm doing here as well (when I'm not trolling the euphoric brigade, that is Tongue). Though I'm starting from far behind you, and I'm probably not looking to learn quite in the same perspective (the "God question" itself is actually the least interesting to me, I'm a lot more interested in the moral and philosophical implications of various religious doctrines).
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 12:21:41 PM »

'I laid my heart open to the benign indifference of the universe.' is for me, one of the sweetest lines in philosophical discourse.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 03:49:25 PM »

It's always interesting to read people's attempts to acclimate themselves to modernity, but since I don't actually believe that life is absurd, I doubt that I would get much from this attempt in particular.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 03:49:42 PM »

I recently read The Myth of Sisyphus and a few other essays of his. Not only do I find his treatment of a world without meaning to be quite interesting and a mature handling of the issues with theistic existentialism, but some of his other essays reveal a lyricism that is sadly absent from a lot of 20th century writing.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 08:54:33 PM »

My favorite 20th century intellectual and no one else has really come close recently either.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies