CBS News/YouGov: Close races in AZ & NV, Hillary way ahead in VA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:22:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  CBS News/YouGov: Close races in AZ & NV, Hillary way ahead in VA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CBS News/YouGov: Close races in AZ & NV, Hillary way ahead in VA  (Read 5381 times)
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« on: August 07, 2016, 12:28:41 PM »

That VA number seems a bit inflated, but maybe VA really is becoming less of a swing state. Not surprised about NV. Those of you thinking it will be close will be shocked again on election night, when Hillary easily takes it by more than the actual swing states. No way is it only four points to the left of AZ.

I don't think the VA number is inflated at all.

1.) Virginia has a lot of college educated people (#6 in the nation, 34% of the population has at least a Bachelor's degree), a demographic that has swung heavily against Trump.  Colorado also is probably not that competitive for the same reason.

2.) Virginia has one of the largest veteran populations, along with the second most military bases out of any state in the country (#1 is California).  These people may have shifted away from Trump since he attack the Khans.

3.) Kaine also probably gives a slight boost to Clinton here.

4.) Virginia is trending D in the first place, so all of the above factors are just building on an existing trend.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 03:28:28 PM »

I am not surprised about VA, particularly as Trump has likely shed some military votes over the past 2 weeks and fell further with college whites.  What is surprising to me is how the same poll can have both NV and AZ so close?  I mean AZ was for Trump before Trump even existed.  How is he in trouble there when he's managing to keep it close in NV?  And both states have large Spanish-speaking populations so there's no reason polls would be skewed more in one than in the other.
Nevada has one of the lowest levels of college education in the country, while Arizona is roughly average.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies