Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 08:00:04 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Gubernatorial/Statewide Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, Virginia)
| | |-+  New York City mayoral election, 2017 thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Print
Author Topic: New York City mayoral election, 2017 thread  (Read 18152 times)
bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2017, 12:06:28 pm »
Ignore

Anywhere where the GOP might pick up a city council seat? Having 3/51 is pretty abysmal
Yes. Elizabeth Crowley could lose. James Vacca's vacant seat could go Republican.
What makes you think Crowley could lose? She won by 17 points last time and why Vacca's seat. Granted he's term limited by why that seat?

N.Y.C. Republicans could pick up Council seats despite running in a anti-Trump/potential anti-Republican election environment because of the political environments in some of these districts. Some of these districts voted for Trump last year for president.

NYC Republicans could pick up:

District 13 (Vacca) **(Open Seat)**
District 30 (Crowley)
District 43 (Gentile) **(Open Seat)**
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: 4.17

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2017, 02:05:22 pm »
Ignore

This is depressing.

The world is becoming globalized, but cosmopolitanism is being hijacked by the Davos Man. What choice is left besides nationalism? The thought is terrifying, to be honest.

I just hope Trump doesn't turn into some kind of Berlusconi-esque Teflon man.
bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 23, 2017, 05:42:03 pm »
Ignore

Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis (R-Staten Island), a white ethnic Republican Greek woman, is considering running for mayor if businessman and fellow Greek, John Catsimidis decides not to run.

http://www.silive.com/news/2017/04/malliotakis_ill_run_for_mayor.html

bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 23, 2017, 05:49:08 pm »
Ignore

This is depressing.

Yes. The 2017 mayoral election is very sleepy. However, Bo Dietl could do better amongst Staten Islanders and other outerborough voters than Paul Massey, the traditional Republican. Massey is a moneybags wealthy Bloomberg/Romney candidate.
Progressive
jro660
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 23, 2017, 05:57:06 pm »
Ignore

It's going to be a Massey vs. Dietl primary (if Dietl gets permitted to be on the ballot--needs 3/5 of GOP chairs to allow it).

If Dietl gets put on the ballot, here's how it's gonna play out:

1. Massey wins Republican votes in Manhattan (heavy wins in the Upper East Side for instance). Not many Republicans, but will be a big chunk of the GOP vote.

Massey likely wins Republican votes in other upper middle class pockets of the City that have some Republicans present like Forest Hills, Queens or the Northwest Bronx.

2. Dietl probably does well in Staten Island and parts of Queens like Middle Village and Maspeth as well as Howard Beach.

Wild cards:

1. Hasidim/Orthodox Jewish voters
2. Black and Latino Republicans in mostly Black or Latino communities--not many Republicans, but in the aggregate will be a chunk of the electorate
3. South Brooklyn mix of Irish, Italian, Jewish communities like Marine Park.
bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 23, 2017, 09:06:36 pm »
Ignore

Dietl and Massey will tie for South Brooklyn votes. Bay Ridgeites will love Dietl. Marine Park folks will like Massey, they remind him of a blue collar boy who grew up and became fairly wealthy.

Massey does not know about some of the issues facing New Yorkers because he has been living in Westchester County. He'd best run for Westchester County Executive after Astorino in 2021 than for mayor.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/call-mayoral-election-article-1.3015471
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 09:10:20 pm by bronz4141 »Logged
bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 23, 2017, 09:11:21 pm »
Ignore

Black Republicans may go for Massey, Dietl has said some Trumpian things. However, Dietl is more charismatic than Massey. Massey is a Republican in the mold of Charlie Baker, Mitt Romney, and Michael Bloomberg, but centrist.
KingSweden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 23, 2017, 10:32:49 pm »
Ignore

Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis (R-Staten Island), a white ethnic Republican Greek woman, is considering running for mayor if businessman and fellow Greek, John Catsimidis decides not to run.

She'd easily be the best candidate for the GOP. Not that any of them will win but still

For England, James?

No. For me.
Duke of York

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 23, 2017, 11:17:58 pm »
Ignore

She'd easily be the best candidate for the GOP. Not that any of them will win but still

I don't doubt she would be the best candidate but i haven't really heard anything about her running other than a few news stories and I she might make it close but i don't think she'd win.
Castro
Castro2020
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 25, 2017, 03:09:56 pm »
Ignore

Malliotakis just announced she will be a candidate.
Duke of York

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2017, 03:27:07 pm »
Ignore

source please? and how likely is it she gets the nomination?
bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2017, 03:40:46 pm »
Ignore

Malliotakis vs. De Blasio is Lean D. Malliotakis could do well with female voters in Queens--the ultimate swing voters in NYC.
Castro
Castro2020
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2017, 04:27:55 pm »
Ignore

source please? and how likely is it she gets the nomination?

Clarification: She has filed papers to run.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/25/nicole-malliotakis-files-papers-to-launch-bid-for-mayor/
Tintrlvr
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2017, 05:35:04 pm »
Ignore

Malliotakis vs. De Blasio is Lean D. Malliotakis could do well with female voters in Queens--the ultimate swing voters in NYC.

Your commentary on this election has been a string of hilariously delusional and/or misinformed statements. I applaud your efforts at humor.
Fmr. Acting Southern Del. The Saint
TheSaint250
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2017, 05:52:38 pm »
Ignore

Can anyone explain why Rocky is running as a Republican?  I saw that someone said he apparently had private polls saying he would win the primary, but was that the only reason?

bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2017, 07:01:32 pm »
Ignore

Your commentary on this election has been a string of hilariously delusional and/or misinformed statements. I applaud your efforts at humor.

As someone who lives near NYC, I know some women that do not like De Blasio. That is why his approval ratings is mediocre. Female voters-middle class female voters are the swing vote in New York.
bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 30, 2017, 05:39:44 pm »
Ignore

Billionaire businessman John Catsimatidis is considering running for mayor, will make a decision either tonight or early Monday morning, via Politico. Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis has vowed that she would withdraw from the mayoral election if Cats runs. Cats almost gave 2013 GOP mayoral nominee Joe Lhota a run. 

http://www.politico.com/states/new-york/city-hall/story/2017/04/28/catsimatidis-allies-urge-him-to-enter-mayors-race-see-easy-path-to-republican-nomination-111642
bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 04, 2017, 07:58:54 pm »
Ignore

NYC Republicans don't want Bo Dietl around the city Republican Party. They call him toxic after some comments about New York City First Lady Chirlaine McCray De Blasio and other baggage from the past. Dietl may have more baggage than the person he voted for, President Trump.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/nyc-gop-leaders-show-no-support-bo-dietl-mayoral-candidacy-article-1.3135051

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bo-dietl-accused-pulling-journalist-private-info-fox-execs-article-1.3096379

He says that Paul Massey is a white bread establishment country club Republican candidate. He is. He is like Charlie Baker and Mitt Romney.

With Dietl vowing to run as an Independent, he could pull away some white ethnic outerborough Italian and Irish voters who think Massey is Romney/Bloomberg 2.0 in the fall.

I wonder if Dietl could get 15% as an independent in New York City.
bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 18, 2017, 04:45:10 pm »
Ignore

Massey has not voted in years according to NY records. He recently moved to NYC. I don't think he understands NYC politics.

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/politics/2017/04/18/mayoral-candidate-massey-missed-chances-to-vote-on-many-past-election-days.html
Castro
Castro2020
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2017, 05:02:33 pm »
Ignore

Massey has not voted in years according to NY records. He recently moved to NYC. I don't think he understands NYC politics.

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/politics/2017/04/18/mayoral-candidate-massey-missed-chances-to-vote-on-many-past-election-days.html

Well, for one thing he's a Republican in NYC.
SunriseAroundTheWorld
YaBB God
Israel

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2017, 05:05:28 pm »
Ignore

Malliotakis and Catsimatidis are the only candidates I would easily support in this race.

Dietl sounds like a loon and Massey is an HP, it seems.

"There are three constants in life: Change, Choice and Principles." - Stephen Covey
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 19, 2017, 09:40:08 am »
Ignore

This is relevant I believe (Quinnipiac):

1. If the election for Mayor were being held today, and the candidates were Bill de Blasio the Democrat, and Paul Massey the Republican, for whom would you vote?

Total:    Bronx     Kings      Man       Qns     St.Isl
de Blasio:  63%      68%       62%        72%      59%  44%
Massey:     21%      17%       21%        13%      24%  40%

2. If the election for Mayor were being held today, and the candidates were Bill de Blasio the Democrat, and Nicole Malliotakis the Republican, for whom would you vote?
              Total:      Brnx     Kings     Man     Qns      St.Isl
de Blasio:  64%    71%    61%      74%    58%         43%
Malliotakis: 21%   15%    21%     13%    25%          46%

6. Do you approve or disapprove of the way Bill de Blasio is handling his job as Mayor?

Approve: 60%
Disapprove: 34%

Alone and Stranded: A Black Liberal in White, Conservative Mississippi
Tintrlvr
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 19, 2017, 09:54:52 am »
Ignore

I'm a little surprised that de Blasio's approval rating is that high, to be honest, but he'll win the vote of a lot of people who disapprove. As the poll suggests, the final result should be de Blasio winning somewhere between 65 and 70% of the vote unless something substantial changes (including a new GOP candidate and not a sacrificial lamb like Malliotakis or, even worse, Massey).
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 19, 2017, 10:50:25 am »
Ignore

I'm a little surprised that de Blasio's approval rating is that high, to be honest, but he'll win the vote of a lot of people who disapprove. As the poll suggests, the final result should be de Blasio winning somewhere between 65 and 70% of the vote unless something substantial changes (including a new GOP candidate and not a sacrificial lamb like Malliotakis or, even worse, Massey).

Yeah. This is my first time following NYC politics and from what nearly everyone on this site was saying I thought de Blasio would be in more trouble than this. I also find it interesting how he holds up in Staten Island against Massey.

Alone and Stranded: A Black Liberal in White, Conservative Mississippi
bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 19, 2017, 11:18:57 am »
Ignore

Yeah. This is my first time following NYC politics and from what nearly everyone on this site was saying I thought de Blasio would be in more trouble than this. I also find it interesting how he holds up in Staten Island against Massey.

Massey is a carpetbagger who doesn't understand NYC politics. He'll win the wealthy Northern Bronx and Forest Hills, and some wealthy NYC conservative areas, but that's about it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout