New York City mayoral election, 2017 thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:35:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New York City mayoral election, 2017 thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New York City mayoral election, 2017 thread  (Read 34868 times)
Progressive
jro660

« on: November 17, 2016, 10:15:18 PM »

Sen. Tony Avella is mulling a bid
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 06:29:51 PM »

Ohio Gov. John Kasich is endorsing and fundraising for Queens City Councilman Eric Ulrich, who seems likely to run for Mayor in NYC. If Ulrich runs, does the NYC Republicans keep his seat red? They are only 3 NYC Republicans in the City Council (Matteo, Borelli, and Ulrich). Borelli is a Trumpite and probably wanted to serve in Trump's administration, Ulrich wants to be mayor, and Matteo probably wants to be mayor as well someday, maybe in 2017.

http://observer.com/2016/12/john-kasich-fundraises-for-queens-councilmans-mayoral-run/

This will be a swing seat in the City Council. There will probably be a contentious Democratic primary. The district is heavily Italian, with a large Jewish, West Indian (mainly Guyanese) and Latino population. Interesting place.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 07:17:08 PM »

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/state-sen-tony-avella-takes-de-blasio-mayoral-race-article-1.2910979?cid=bitly

State Sen. Avella will run in a primary
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 05:57:06 PM »

It's going to be a Massey vs. Dietl primary (if Dietl gets permitted to be on the ballot--needs 3/5 of GOP chairs to allow it).

If Dietl gets put on the ballot, here's how it's gonna play out:

1. Massey wins Republican votes in Manhattan (heavy wins in the Upper East Side for instance). Not many Republicans, but will be a big chunk of the GOP vote.

Massey likely wins Republican votes in other upper middle class pockets of the City that have some Republicans present like Forest Hills, Queens or the Northwest Bronx.

2. Dietl probably does well in Staten Island and parts of Queens like Middle Village and Maspeth as well as Howard Beach.

Wild cards:

1. Hasidim/Orthodox Jewish voters
2. Black and Latino Republicans in mostly Black or Latino communities--not many Republicans, but in the aggregate will be a chunk of the electorate
3. South Brooklyn mix of Irish, Italian, Jewish communities like Marine Park.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 07:21:27 AM »

Petitioning season is over. No one else can access the ballot now. The field is set.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 02:29:10 PM »

Why is de la Fuente a Republican all of a sudden?

I don't understand either.

He's looking to have some fun and because he figured it was easier to sneak in a mano a mano against BdB by being the GOP nominee.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 10:50:12 AM »

Primary is in less than a month. Anyone think Albanese picking up steam?
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 07:52:33 AM »

Primary is in less than a month. Anyone think Albanese picking up steam?

Yes. I like him. He's not going to be mayor, he ran for mayor in 1997, 2001, and 2013, but Albanese should run for Congress against Dan Donovan, the former S.I. D.A. who allowed Eric Garner's killer walk free in 2014.

He'll do well in Staten Island and some parts of Brooklyn, but turnout will be very, very low on September 12.

DEB getting so much bad press lately, wouldn't be surprised if he does worse than thought
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 02:47:05 PM »

I think with the latest bad headlines for the mayor, all campaigns are going to push extra hard to churn out votes.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 11:41:39 AM »

I think it's possible that de Blasio underperforms but I can see, anecdotally, that the Mayor's race is not as sleepy as it is portrayed in the news. There is heavy campaigning from de Blasio, Malliotakis, Dietl etc. camps and there are also key County Executive, etc. races in Nassau, Westchester, etc. Making it more interesting, the Constitutional Convention ballot proposal means that unions, etc. are mobilizing voters as well.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 09:10:43 PM »

I think it's possible that de Blasio underperforms but I can see, anecdotally, that the Mayor's race is not as sleepy as it is portrayed in the news. There is heavy campaigning from de Blasio, Malliotakis, Dietl etc. camps and there are also key County Executive, etc. races in Nassau, Westchester, etc. Making it more interesting, the Constitutional Convention ballot proposal means that unions, etc. are mobilizing voters as well.

Its still extremely unlikely De Blasio loses. Polls have shown him with 60 percent of the vote. Are there any city council races republicans could gain?

Yes, there's one in South Brooklyn being heavily contested.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 06:56:04 PM »

9:00pm.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 07:17:56 PM »

Not mayoral, but a municipal race. Laura Gillen has won the post of Hempstead Supervisor, the first and only Democrat to hold that post since the 1860s. Hempstead is the largest township in America by population. This is massive.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies