Another NC Gerrymander struck down
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:28:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Another NC Gerrymander struck down
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Another NC Gerrymander struck down  (Read 564 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2016, 02:20:51 PM »

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article87107697.html

Just for the Wake County School Board and Board of Commissioners, but still nice to see a continued trend in the courts against gerrymandering.   I remember at one time the Koch Brothers were really interested and invested in the School Board for some reason,  don't know why.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 11:30:14 PM »

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article87107697.html

Just for the Wake County School Board and Board of Commissioners, but still nice to see a continued trend in the courts against gerrymandering.   I remember at one time the Koch Brothers were really interested and invested in the School Board for some reason,  don't know why.
A quite interesting decision.

After the 2010 census, the Wake County school board redistricted itself creating 9 districts within 1% deviation. The board of commissioners followed suit. After Democrats took control of both boards, the legislature redrew the districts, creating a plan with 7 single-member districts, and two additional overlay districts that covered the entire county. The relative deviation was much greater, but less than 10%.

The majority of the 4th Circuit differentiated this case from the Mathismander cases decided by the Supreme Court decision, as the plaintiffs not proving their case of a partisan gerrymander; in the present case the Appeals Court overturned the decision of the district court, the trier of fact (i.e. the district court ruled that the plaintiffs had proved their case; while the appeals court ruled that they had
hopper
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 04:16:35 PM »

I wish they would so something like "Block Redistricting". Just make the districts(adjusted for states population size of each congressional district) like in box shapes like a square or rectangle shape for each states districts using a computer for each state. Its so much easier that way rather than letting each party just making partisin advantages for itself. I have seen "Block Redistricting" done on a CNN special on redistricting that aired on CNN earlier this decade. I think California, Nevada, and Minnesota 2010 redistricting went well. Nevada and Minnesota's Congressional Districts were drawn by a Court of course. New York's current Congessional Map mostly came out well too.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies