Trump Suggests 'Second Amendment People' Could Act Against Clinton
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:56:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump Suggests 'Second Amendment People' Could Act Against Clinton
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9
Author Topic: Trump Suggests 'Second Amendment People' Could Act Against Clinton  (Read 8080 times)
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2016, 04:18:44 PM »
« edited: August 09, 2016, 04:41:03 PM by Interlocutor »

It's on CNN right now, along with MSNBC. It's on ABC's, NBC's, CNN's, CBS's, and many other front pages.

That hole is going to get deeper.

It is fun to watch CNN try to give equal billing to the Florida shooters' Dad at Hillary's rally. None of the major Florida newspapers are covering it on their sites and only one news station from West Palm Beach has written about it so far

If Trump wanted to make a point about the Supreme Court, I would've used "pro-life people" instead of "2nd amendment people". It's getting harder to tell when he's being sarcastic anymore
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2016, 04:20:49 PM »

Just out of curiosity, is there a set of rules for what happens if a candidate is assassinated between the convention and the election? Does the running mate take over? Does the second-place candidate? Does the spouse (a la Jean Carnahan) get a try, even if said spouse is Bill Clinton?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2016, 04:28:10 PM »

Why didn't the Secret Service tackle him onstage for making a threat to a presidential candidate? He needs to be investigated immediately and then prosecuted.

They will do a quick investigation (to have a report) and I'm sure top-level Secret Service people will sit with trump. It will all be private, no release of any information discussed in the meeting.
The Secret Service will tell trump to not joke about things like this. Even if trump tries to create an excuse that it was not intentional, they will tell him to not "go there" in future speeches, in where there could be a "misinterpretation" of its exact meaning. They wont prosecute trump (unfortunately) for it .... I don't think there is enough here for them to do so.
But it was still disgusting, and trump is still an idiot.
elcorazon

« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2016, 04:31:09 PM »

Why didn't the Secret Service tackle him onstage for making a threat to a presidential candidate? He needs to be investigated immediately and then prosecuted.

They will do a quick investigation (to have a report) and I'm sure top-level Secret Service people will sit with trump. It will all be private, no release of any information discussed in the meeting.
The Secret Service will tell trump to not joke about things like this. Even if trump tries to create an excuse that it was not intentional, they will tell him to not "go there" in future speeches, in where there could be a "misinterpretation" of its exact meaning. They wont prosecute trump (unfortunately) for it .... I don't think there is enough here for them to do so.
He'll claim afterward that this is more proof of a rigged system that only he can fix
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2016, 04:37:01 PM »

He'll claim afterward that this is more proof of a rigged system that only he can fix

You would think trump has tremendous respect for the Secret Service, since they are protecting him day and night (they probably are near-by even when he sleeps).
But you are right, I wouldn't doubt if he were to "blame" the Secret Service also, as some kind of "branch of the establishment," that is out to get him.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2016, 04:41:09 PM »

Oh sh!!t, I did it again. Sad

I need to stop making effort-posts in the 2016 board. Tongue

Is there anything Trump can say that his supporters wouldn't call sarcastic or a joke?

Trump is the official douchebag "it's a joke, bruh" candidate.

It was a probably a joke, he shouldn't say that, but then again, this is a free country and you cannot censor free speech.

This is not a question of censorship, this is a question of giving this guy the highest office in the land--making him "leader of the free world." The national and international representative of the nation, the commander-and-chief of the largest military on earth, and the main director of governmental policy.

There are thousands and thousands of things people can say that are totally legal and maybe not even repulsive (as this is), but would make me (and should make any sane person) uneasy to give that person such an important position.

As someone who is a big supporter of free speech, I get incredibly annoyed when people conflate "free speech" with "let me say whatever I want and don't criticize me."

I don't know. He should not be dropped. If Trump is dropped by the GOP, the base will stay home. It's Trump or bust for them, I suppose.

What is "the base?" If it's Cruz-type ideological conservatives, they generally hate Trump. On everything outside of immigration, torture, and maybe "law and order" he's to the left of 95% of the Republican party.

It's not "base" vs. "establishment," unless Chris Christie is "base" while Ted Cruz and Glenn Beck are "establishment." if anything it's "establishment" vs. ideological conservatives vs. purely anti-establishment populists--the last faction is what gave Trump the nomination, but the former two loathe him.

I know this is slightly off-topic and it'll get buried, but I can't resist correcting misconceptions like that.

Just keeps getting worse.  I can think of more than a few morons on this board who'd literally defend Trump no matter what he says, though.  Very scary, really.

Yeah, a large faction of the Trump support is literally a cult at this point. I don't think I'm being hyperbolic--I try not to be, we have too much of that from all sides. But some people just blindly defend everything this guy says, and why? This is a politician--we're not supposed to serve them, it's supposed to be the other way around. This is a job interview--what kind of boss would defend such repulsive things from a prospective employee? In a functioning society we would've toppled the system of corrupt party establishments and a ratings-fueled media after they nominated probably the two worst candidates ever.

But even if we accept the two-party system, why can't Trump's supporters just reluctantly say "oh well, I guess he's better than Hillary"--why do they have to defend everything he says? Why do they have to compare him to Reagan (who wasn't anywhere near perfect, but in many ways different and in many ways better than Trump)? Why do they have to act like he's the savior of the country?

And before his cultists start foaming at the mouth "BUT HILLARY!!!" I should point out that I will not vote for either of them. There is no need to convince me to vote against Trump or Clinton, and you shouldn't waste your time trying to convince me to vote for either of those abysmal options.
AelroseB

« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2016, 04:52:01 PM »

Yet more proof that Trump is a Dollar-Store Caesarist...
psychprofessor

« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2016, 04:58:25 PM »

It really does seem like we live in two different worlds: reality and Fox news. I understand people not liking Hillary for a variety of reasons, but her and her campaign don't incite violence against Trump or his supporters. She often says "we need to understand the concerns and frustrations of his supporters."

Trump may not personally believe these remarks, but he is speaking to an increasingly paranoid, unhinged right wing that believes this rhetoric. The election is "rigged." Use the second amendment to stop Hillary.

This political discourse should be denounced by everyone, regardless or political affiliation. So many people lament the polarization and gridlock, but then don't call people out when candidates promote polarization.

I'm sickened that we still have to listen to Trump for another three months.
Fargobison

« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2016, 04:58:49 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://twitter.com/elizabethforma/status/763130669606309892
OwlRhetoric

« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2016, 05:05:03 PM »

OUTRAGEOUS!

Remember when Hillary also invoked assassination with Obama and got beat up by liberal media personalities?

https://youtu.be/nC6Sa8t9Ywg
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2016, 05:17:19 PM »

Paul Manafort rn:

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2016, 05:21:41 PM »

real question: how much longer does Manafort deal with this nonsense?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #162 on: August 09, 2016, 05:22:12 PM »

real question: how much longer does Manafort deal with this nonsense?

He is getting paid, so he is going to ride this out till the end.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2016, 05:27:31 PM »

Just out of curiosity, is there a set of rules for what happens if a candidate is assassinated between the convention and the election? Does the running mate take over? Does the second-place candidate? Does the spouse (a la Jean Carnahan) get a try, even if said spouse is Bill Clinton?
The party decides per party rules.
The Advocate
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -6.43

« Reply #164 on: August 09, 2016, 05:31:04 PM »

This is why I love her!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2016, 05:41:30 PM »

I just don't think that, whether it was a stupid pro-2A argument or an even dumber joke, it warrants the WORST PERSON EVER outrage in this thread.

It's this and the sum of his other comments and behavior that really warrants the responses. That one comment alone may not be the worst but when you factor in everything else Trump has said and done, really, people are not being unreasonable.

You don't have to downplay everything Trump says.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2016, 06:19:38 PM »

I guess when Trump is elected President and says during an interview "Well, there's nothing we can do about China...unless I take out those nuke codes"  He can just say "I was just kidding"
Seneca
Rookie

« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2016, 06:45:04 PM »

I believe the DNC's executive committee has the power to select a replacement candidate. So anyone who is constitutionally eligible to serve as president (e.g. not Bill) is in with a chance. I imagine the DNC would pick Kaine for continuity's sake.
yougo1000
United States

« Reply #168 on: August 09, 2016, 07:43:51 PM »

To me at least it doesn't seem that Trump is advocating the assassination of Hillary. If you look at what he says he is saying if Hillary is able to pick a judge that is pro-gun control than that could mean the rulings on guns could be swayed in favor of gun control and if Trump is elected it won't happen.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2016, 07:53:39 PM »

To me at least it doesn't seem that Trump is advocating the assassination of Hillary. If you look at what he says he is saying if Hillary is able to pick a judge that is pro-gun control than that could mean the rulings on guns could be swayed in favor of gun control and if Trump is elected it won't happen.

What the hell are you watching !
Are you seeing the same video we all saw ?
OMG, the level of denial is driving me nuts !
yougo1000
United States

« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2016, 07:59:31 PM »

What the hell are you watching !
Are you seeing the same video we all saw ?
OMG, the level of denial is driving me nuts !

I'm not even a Trump supporter, I just think this is being blown out of proportion.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2016, 08:14:28 PM »

I guess when Trump is elected President and says during an interview "Well, there's nothing we can do about China...unless I take out those nuke codes"  He can just say "I was just kidding"

I mean, to be fair Reagan made a very similar joke at one point and got away with it.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #172 on: August 09, 2016, 10:31:33 PM »

I think this might be the straw that breaks the back of Ryan, McConnell, et al.

lolno. They only started to care once he refused to help their own political careers. They couldn't care less about anything else.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #173 on: August 09, 2016, 11:00:35 PM »

Secret Service tweets out:

The Secret Service is aware of the comments made earlier this afternoon.

http://www.thewrap.com/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-secret-service/
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #174 on: August 09, 2016, 11:03:34 PM »

Secret Service tweets out:

The Secret Service is aware of the comments made earlier this afternoon.

http://www.thewrap.com/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-secret-service/

You can sense the frustration in that tweet.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies