NBC/WSJ/Marist: Clinton leading in CO (+14/+12), FL (+5), NC (+9), VA (+13/+12)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:29:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  NBC/WSJ/Marist: Clinton leading in CO (+14/+12), FL (+5), NC (+9), VA (+13/+12)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: NBC/WSJ/Marist: Clinton leading in CO (+14/+12), FL (+5), NC (+9), VA (+13/+12)  (Read 10551 times)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2016, 03:52:17 PM »

lol what
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2016, 03:56:28 PM »

North Carolina! North Carolina!!! by 9? Christ, maybe its a little off (I can't imagine it being that different from Florida) but my god, Jeb Bush would be doing better right now.
psychprofessor

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2016, 04:10:41 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2016, 04:12:18 PM by psychprofessor »

Florida fav/unfav

Clinton: 40/54 (-14)

Trump: 31/62 (-31!!!)

Yikes.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2016, 04:12:11 PM »

North Carolina! North Carolina!!! by 9? Christ, maybe its a little off (I can't imagine it being that different from Florida) but my god, Jeb Bush would be doing better right now.

Debbie Wasserman Schultz and Alan Grayson would be leading Trump right now, lol.

Funny how those two are both from Florida.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2016, 04:43:34 PM »

NC does seem like it might be slightly high, but then again not totally inconsistent with a few of the recent polls out of Georgia and Virginia.

Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2016, 04:48:28 PM »

So yeah, Trump is toast. 2008 is probably the best comparison right now.
If this trajectory keeps up 1964 might be a better comparison
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2016, 05:06:03 PM »

I mean, she's recently been sporting her modest "let's appeal to simple, religious, salt-of-the-earth, low-income voters" hairstyle, so it's not hard to believe these places really are locks.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2016, 05:08:35 PM »

So yeah, Trump is toast. 2008 is probably the best comparison right now.
If this trajectory keeps up 1964 might be a better comparison
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2016, 05:32:32 PM »

I mean, she's recently been sporting her modest "let's appeal to simple, religious, salt-of-the-earth, low-income voters" hairstyle, so it's not hard to believe these places really are locks.

Hillary always seemed more genuine and stronger candidate to me when she worked the populist working-class issues in the '08 primaries than the Hillary of the '16 primaries.

Now I haven't been paying much attention to her hairstyle or clothing, but rhetorically and substantively I think she has now successfully managed to pivot back to the "fighter for all Americans" mode, now that the primaries are over and (thanks to Bernie), we now have an extremely progressive party platform.

Not quite sure your exact meaning....  are you are saying that she has solidified support in these particular states as a result of expanding support among low-income White/Anglo undecided voters, or that somehow these states are more representative of that particular demographic? I am assuming the former, rather than the latter.

Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2016, 05:40:56 PM »

This election is nuts. If this trend keeps up we may be looking at the first genuine landslide in decades.

Clinton 92 and 96...
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2016, 06:00:48 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2016, 06:08:41 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

Hillary always seemed more genuine and stronger candidate to me when she worked the populist working-class issues in the '08 primaries than the Hillary of the '16 primaries.

Now I haven't been paying much attention to her hairstyle or clothing, but rhetorically and substantively I think she has now successfully managed to pivot back to the "fighter for all Americans" mode, now that the primaries are over and (thanks to Bernie), we now have an extremely progressive party platform.

Not quite sure your exact meaning....  are you are saying that she has solidified support in these particular states as a result of expanding support among low-income White/Anglo undecided voters, or that somehow these states are more representative of that particular demographic? I am assuming the former, rather than the latter.

In fact, I'm suggesting that the she has already secured the places where any Democrat should be competitive.

Now she has the luxury of trying to appeal to less liberally inclined voters in traditionally red states. Hence the less manicured look.

She also wore this look on her swing to Kentucky and West Virginia for the primaries earlier this year.

West Virginia:

Michigan (a couple days ago):

These are compared to this look that she was sporting when the race was tighter:

The urban looks are usually more "volumous" and done up. When she strays from that (and puts her hair behind her ears, for example), it seems that there is usually a reason. I know this is all kind of ridiculous, but you can't tell me the image isn't deliberately managed.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2016, 06:05:34 PM »

Not quite sure your exact meaning....  are you are saying that she has solidified support in these particular states as a result of expanding support among low-income White/Anglo undecided voters, or that somehow these states are more representative of that particular demographic? I am assuming the former, rather than the latter.

In fact, I'm suggesting that the she has already secured the places where any Democrat should be competitive.

Now she has the luxury of trying to appeal to less liberally inclined voters in traditionally red states. Hence the less manicured look.
Trump did it for her.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2016, 06:07:56 PM »

LOL.... I get what you're saying, but most guys don't really pay that much attention to that level of detail. Now, it does seem that she has managed to create potentially one of the largest gender gaps we have seen in decades, so maybe that helps with sometimes Dem/ Indies / Republican women doing the more "authentic" rugged look?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2016, 06:09:44 PM »

I added photos above. I know it's ridiculous, but there's a pattern to it. And a candidate's image is always carefully managed.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2016, 06:20:42 PM »

I added photos above. I know it's ridiculous, but there's a pattern to it. And a candidate's image is always carefully managed.

So, ponytail = mega landslide?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2016, 06:29:39 PM »

In other words, if Clinton enters the first debate like this, it's bad news for Trump.

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2016, 06:39:02 PM »

ok... thanks for the photos, and get your very real point regarding imaging and optics.

Actually, this does open up an interesting side area of potential conversation about historical presidential elections and the colors of various candidates ties, and when they appear in "business casual" versus "NH sweaters", and various suit combos.

Not trying to be sarcastic, but haven't seen much Poly-Sci studies on these matters, other than the infamous "Dukakis riding around in a tank with a silly helmet" or JFK vs Nixon classic B&W debates, I don't recall reading much about candidate optics in terms of clothing and hairstyle that was considered to have made an impact.

Been awhile since Grad School, but this appears to be a new area of political-science research.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2016, 06:46:34 PM »

So, ponytail = mega landslide?

I think Trump should consider sporting a "tail" and loosen up his looks a bit in places like PA and OH, and maybe consider wearing jeans and nice button down occasionally, because otherwise he looks too much like the boss that will declare "you're fired".

In fact if he can get his hair into a pony-tail it might add some points to him in Western States where he is vulnerable like Colorado for example.

NC/VA--- I would consider he consider going with tan "business casual" suit pants and consider occasionally throwing on a polo or short sleeves on Fridays during the summer....

For ME/NH/CT---- Thinking LL Bean flannel maybe combined with a nice waterproof vest might help as we move into the Late Fall and cooler climate.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2016, 10:09:32 PM »

Amazing polls. Can't wait till Trump and his supporters get a big slap in the face on election night.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2016, 10:23:34 PM »

Dominating!
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2016, 10:43:18 PM »

This election is nuts. If this trend keeps up we may be looking at the first genuine landslide in decades.

It depends upon the definition of a landslide.

Reagan 1984 (all but Minnesota and the District of Columbia) is one of the all-time slaughters in the popular vote. But in 1984 there was little state-to-state polarization as the Democratic Party was making the tradition from being a strongly-Southern party to a strongly-Northern party while being weak in both regions. The margin of Barack Obama's 2008 victory is close to those of FDR in 1944 and the elder Bush in 1988... Obama won by Reagan-like landslide margins in enough states to win, yet lost several states by 10% or more.

No Democratic nominee  has won Colorado or New Hampshire by a 10% margin since 1964, or Virginia by such a margin since FDR in 1944. We may be in unusual territory this year. But Donald Trump is also an unusually awful candidate for President, too. 
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2016, 04:32:03 AM »

LOL, Trump gets crushed. Man, this guy is so done.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2016, 01:50:00 PM »

By the way, it looks like the Clinton campaign's internal polling is pretty damn good. They pulled out of CO/VA long before any public polls were showing her up double digits there.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2016, 01:56:07 PM »

By the way, it looks like the Clinton campaign's internal polling is pretty damn good. They pulled out of CO/VA long before any public polls were showing her up double digits there.
Rather good point, actually. Keeping an eye on Clinton's campaign moves may be the best barometer we have on the election's status.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2016, 02:09:49 PM »

Rather good point, actually. Keeping an eye on Clinton's campaign moves may be the best barometer we have on the election's status.

Agreed
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies