Why did we stop inventing gods?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:22:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Why did we stop inventing gods?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why did we stop inventing gods?  (Read 3472 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2016, 05:04:15 PM »

The short answer is that gods were originally created (I'm obviously referring to polytheistic religion here) to explain things that mankind had no understanding of.  Very simple things.  Rain, snow, natural disasters, disease, famine, victories (or losses) in battle, plant growth, et cetera.  Yahweh emerged in Jewish tradition as the one true God (or at least, the only God that may be recognized).  "Allah" is not a new god because Islam is a monotheistic faith; "Allah" is the Arabic word for "God."  By definition, monotheistic faiths cannot invent new gods, only deliver new revelations or prophets.

I agree.

A new prophet, since a person, would just be inventing a new God. That is what Mohammad did.

I still think it strange that Muslims settled for his demonstrably immoral creed and that the world is not acknowledging that we need a better and more moral prophet.

Mohammad was basically rejected by the people of his day until, like Christianity, he grew his religion by force of arms.

Christianity and Islam have both settled for immoral gods of war as both grew their religions by war instead of good deeds.

Regards
DL

They are the same god.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2016, 10:52:08 PM »

Mankind invents idols constantly. They may not call them "gods" explicitly but they worship them all the same and defy God through it....
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 05:52:00 PM »

The internet generation has exalted materialist "science" as God, so we've haven't yet.

Edgy
dadge
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -4.50

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2016, 12:43:17 PM »

I think this is a reasonable question, and one that the thread hasn't scratched the surface of. The question isn't about religions - it's clear that new religions are being invented all the time - but about gods. At one time religions were multitheist, but at some point people decided for some reason that the concept of multiple gods was too daft after all, and settled on monotheism (except for some throwbacks like Hinduism) and I can't think of any examples of polytheistic new religions.

As far as monotheistic religions are concerned, I think it's reasonable to argue that if there is a god, there is one god (and one heaven), so all of them are exalting the same geezer, albeit in their different ways.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 02:08:37 PM »

I think this is a reasonable question, and one that the thread hasn't scratched the surface of. The question isn't about religions - it's clear that new religions are being invented all the time - but about gods. At one time religions were multitheist, but at some point people decided for some reason that the concept of multiple gods was too daft after all, and settled on monotheism (except for some throwbacks like Hinduism) and I can't think of any examples of polytheistic new religions.

As far as monotheistic religions are concerned, I think it's reasonable to argue that if there is a god, there is one god (and one heaven), so all of them are exalting the same geezer, albeit in their different ways.

It is quite reasonable, after all, a ship only has one Captain and tribes only have one King.

A Divine Council makes more sense as even the wisest man cannot master every physical and social science that were developing in those days.

Even todays (Captains) Presidents and prime ministers have their various sub ministers beneath them to be the experts in their field.

Regards
DL
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies